9Wk Basic Training Program Questions

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

Read up on it, if you get time. 2 max effort days a week and 2 dynamic effort days a week, it appears to follow westside principals.

Is it fine for me to do? I’ve been following a bodybuilding routine and would like to try my hand at powerlifting. 20 years old, 6’4, 214 lbs

1 rep max
bench 255-265
squat 305-310
deadlift 410-430
rows 245-250
dips about 100 lbs attached for 2 reps

Am I strong enough to try that routine? I’m not so sure if I have the equipment to do box squats, glute ham raises, floor presses etc., but I can see what I can find. Any advice is appreciated!

I have used the program you linked to before, and it “didn’t work” for me (im 5’11 240#). Worked wonders for my brother though (+40kg squat in 8 weeks 6’4 188#)
Westside is a funny thing. It works like a charm but you have to understand a lot about yourself and the system to make it work.
It’s a good start to look at a pre developed workout such as this or WSSB, and then adapting it to you specifically. You need to know why you are doing each exercise.

That is the upside/downside of the system. There are no cookie cutter programs that work for everybody.

Now to the questions: Yes you are strong enough. Do you have the work capacity? Westside is only easy on paper.
The equipment does not make the routine. If you can’t get a GHR do romanian deadlifts etc. The box is a minimum though.

I am no expert, but I have seen good results using a modified westside system (based off this workout).

[quote]gadget wrote:
I have used the program you linked to before, and it “didn’t work” for me (im 5’11 240#). Worked wonders for my brother though (+40kg squat in 8 weeks 6’4 188#)
Westside is a funny thing. It works like a charm but you have to understand a lot about yourself and the system to make it work.

It’s a good start to look at a pre developed workout such as this or WSSB, and then adapting it to you specifically. You need to know why you are doing each exercise.

That is the upside/downside of the system. There are no cookie cutter programs that work for everybody.

Now to the questions: Yes you are strong enough. Do you have the work capacity? Westside is only easy on paper.

The equipment does not make the routine. If you can’t get a GHR do romanian deadlifts etc. The box is a minimum though.

I am no expert, but I have seen good results using a modified westside system (based off this workout).

[/quote]

I believe I have the work capacity. I have been doing a lot of Chad Waterbury’s programs for hypertrophy and I am ready to move onto strength. Most of my workouts last 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours.

Westside for skinny bastards…I’m not really skinny, though. I do plan to bulk up soon, though.