T Nation

92 Nations Sign Cluster-Bomb Ban

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081203/ap_on_re_eu/eu_norway_cluster_bombs

I rather they ban suicide bombers.

I’d rather they ban jihad.

America should not sign this. This is a vital part of our arsenal. I read this today and wasn’t very happy with it.

I say cluster bomb the people that signed it. they will be cluster bombless and unable to fight back.

Aus signed it. But I can understand why the U.S wouldnt want to. Why give up an advantage in war?

Cluster bombs are not always used against personnel, either. I remember in the First Gulf War they were used very effectively against Iraqi airstrips, demolishing them to the point where they couldn’t be used by the Iraqi Air Force.

If anything, that saved their pilots’ lives and shortened the war significantly.

Wars are combat. You don’t want to get into them, but when you do, anything goes.

This shit is just dumb…

Cluster-bombs are badass.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Cluster bombs are not always used against personnel, either. I remember in the First Gulf War they were used very effectively against Iraqi airstrips, demolishing them to the point where they couldn’t be used by the Iraqi Air Force.

If anything, that saved their pilots’ lives and shortened the war significantly.

Wars are combat. You don’t want to get into them, but when you do, anything goes. [/quote]

Very true. Cluster type munitions absolutely shred light vehicles and structures that aren’t armored up.

Wild Weasel pilots who were tasked with supressing air defenses were very likely to drop them on air defense systems with a higher confidence they would disable the battery then a conventional High Explosive bomb.

I think what this ban intends to do is to prevent these bombs being used against civilian targets. Certainly a noble effort. In practice the US doesn’t use cluster munitions against civilian targets due to the fear of collateral damage. We use precision guided weapons in that situation. Most western forces that are capable of delivering a precison weapon would do the same. In wartime you want to have the capability of a cluster type munition due to it’s effectiveness against concentrations of troops of vehicles.

We shouldn’t sign it.

I have always found it funny when people want to ban weapons. I mean is it really any different to kill someone with a cluster bomb or any another type of bomb. They are gonna be dead either way. I can see nuclear bombs only because of the lasting radiation, but not much else. Even flame throwers…I’d hate to be hit with one, but it is combat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/03/laos-cluster-bombs-uxo-deaths

The haul of unexploded ordnance (UXO) is just a taster of that littering the countryside, or sitting in vast piles around homes and scrapyards. The deadly harvest from the US bombing of this landlocked country 30 years ago in the so-called “secret war” as the real battle raged in next-door Vietnam has become big business. Steel prices that surged on the back of soaring demand from China’s go-go economy drove up scrap prices five-fold in eight years in impoverished Laos. It sent subsistence rice farmers, struggling make to ends meet amid spiralling food and fuel prices, scurrying into their fields in search of the new “cash crop”.

But it comes at a high price. At least 13,000 people have been killed or maimed, either digging in fields contaminated with live bombs or, increasingly, in their quest for lucrative scrap metal. Half the casualties are young boys, most killed by exploding tennis-ball-sized cluster bomblets - christened “bombies” locally - that are everywhere.

how bout just make cluster bombs more effective??

meaning–they all explode.

I was hit twice when a BLU-97 cluster bomb went off 10 feet from me (no, I didn’t pick it up). I say keep them as they are, they make a nice area deniablity weapon.

When I was deployed to Kosovo I saw quite a few small children blown up by these munitions. Unfortunately even if the intent isn’t to use them as anti-personnel the bomblets almost always end up where they don’t belong.

Unexploded.

And the result of an explosion.

Why don’t they just ban weapons as a whole. Seeming as, every single weapon isn’t exactly ethical.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Wars are combat. You don’t want to get into them, but when you do, anything goes. [/quote]

You remember it wrong. Clusterbombs are useless against airstrips.

[quote]pat wrote:
I rather they ban suicide bombers.[/quote]

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
I’d rather they ban jihad. [/quote]

Hey, perhaps after you both lose both your legs in an jihadi suicide attack, you can campaign for the ban against it.

Wouldn’t that be cool?