T Nation

915 Workout Program

Hi CT - I just read through your 915 program and was thinking about giving it a try and had couple of questions.

1). Is it ok to Substitute Box Squats for Regular Squats as a main movement in the program?

2). For Power clean day, Can I do the Hang Clean as my main movement? And do Cleans from blocks and weighted pull ups as my assistant movements for it? (I feel like that would transfer better for me since I wanna improve my vertical)

Thanks

[quote]sidhu524 wrote:
Hi CT - I just read through your 915 program and was thinking about giving it a try and had couple of questions.

1). Is it ok to Substitute Box Squats for Regular Squats as a main movement in the program?

2). For Power clean day, Can I do the Hang Clean as my main movement? And do Cleans from blocks and weighted pull ups as my assistant movements for it? (I feel like that would transfer better for me since I wanna improve my vertical)

Thanks[/quote]

1. Yes, you can use the scheme for any “big lift” as long as you know which assistance exercises to use to fix the weak link in that lift.

2. That’s perfectly fine (selecting the power clean from the hang). Cleans from blocks can be a good choice if it targets a weakness of yours (are you an athlete who is very effective at utilizing the stretch reflex/rebound and do you have “instant explosion?” … if the answer is NO then the power clean from blocks is a good choice). The pull ups are fine to do as a bonus exercise, but not as a main assistance lift since it doesn’t really target a significant weak point in the clean. Clean pulls, clean high pulls or even power snatches from the hang would be a better choice.

Thanks for taking the time out to answer those questions. I really appreciate it.

what lifts would you recommend I use for assistance exercises for the Box Squat?

and as for the power clean I was going to use the hang option because I have read that it is better for athletic performance but yea my answer to your question would be no im not very affective at utilizing the stretch reflex. So ill stick with cleans off blocks as the main movement and do power snatches and cleans pulls for assistant work.

Also have you had any experience dealing with quad tendonitis? which is actually one of the main reasons as well why Im doing box squat as oppose to back squats because they feel much better.

Thanks for the help