915 vs. Russian SS - Hypertrophy

Christian,

Knowing strength gains are the core emphasis of both programs, if you were then to choose hypertrophy as a secondary goal:

Which of these 2 programs would you choose?

I am currently doing the Russian SS program and love it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on here.

[quote]wildcat37 wrote:
Christian,

Knowing strength gains are the core emphasis of both programs, if you were then to choose hypertrophy as a secondary goal:

Which of these 2 programs would you choose?

I am currently doing the Russian SS program and love it. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on here.[/quote]

While the application is different, both programs are similar in philosophy. In fact the 915 program is based on Soviet periodization.

The 915 program is actually a bit better for size gains because of the assistance work being done for slightly higher reps. But it is more neurally draining so you wont feel as good or enjoy it as much as Russian Strength Skill

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
…so you wont feel as good or enjoy it as much as Russian Strength Skill
[/quote]

This is exactly why I chose Russian SS. It fits better into a busy schedule and it is FUN. If you’re not having fun your gains are gonna follow your motivation into the toilet.

Not saying 915 doesn’t look fun, but Russian SS is just right for the amount of focus I can give to weight training in my life right now.

I did take the 915 lifts for it though (Group 1 is squat and bench, group 2 is deadlift and high pull).

Yeah, I am doing the Russian SS as well.

Although, I must admit I “Frankensteined” the program a small bit by doing a rest pause set as a finisher each workout. Example: On the day I do cleans, SQ, and military, I will finish with a rest/pause set of DB laterals or dips.

Now, I am careful to watch my recovery; and, I use 2 servings of plazma each workout and alpha GPC or powerdrive before workout for CNS stimulation. My diet has been fairly strict and clean with plenty of calories to support the physical trauma.

Been doing this since Jan. 1 and the mirror and my strength (and feel) are all good.