T Nation

915 Program - Clean of High Pull

Hello,

So I tested my maxes and really wanna hammer my weak points on the big 3 + do some weightlifting+ have a 5th day dedicated to "pump mirror muscles", 915 seems really to match perfectly my mindset

Question is, I never ever practiced seriously high pull nor cleans. I'd like to improve my shoulder athleticism also, my military press is pretty weak because of overall weak shoulders (too much benching not enough pulling in the past). I'll only use the push press for this program though, as a bench accessory

Which one would be the most appropriate for those 9 weeks? I'd ideally continue implementing it into my routine since they seem like great exercises, and a routine with the big3+overhead press+clean or high pull and some bodyweight is all I need really

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Hello,

So I tested my maxes and really wanna hammer my weak points on the big 3 + do some weightlifting+ have a 5th day dedicated to “pump mirror muscles”, 915 seems really to match perfectly my mindset

Question is, I never ever practiced seriously high pull nor cleans. I’d like to improve my shoulder athleticism also, my military press is pretty weak because of overall weak shoulders (too much benching not enough pulling in the past). I’ll only use the push press for this program though, as a bench accessory

Which one would be the most appropriate for those 9 weeks? I’d ideally continue implementing it into my routine since they seem like great exercises, and a routine with the big3+overhead press+clean or high pull and some bodyweight is all I need really [/quote]

The power clean can be hard to learn by yourself. if you have access to a coach or someone who has a ;lot of experience with it then it would be a great lift to learn.

Also thought that high pull could be an assistance movement to the clean?

Well I indeed have a couple of friends that know a lot more about weightlifting than I do. Will take a few videos and try to see how it goes. Also that gym is full of experienced guys.

I know I can front squat 275 (back squat is 315 right now) so I should clean more than 100 like the only time I tried…

[quote]tontongg wrote:
Also thought that high pull could be an assistance movement to the clean?

Well I indeed have a couple of friends that know a lot more about weightlifting than I do. Will take a few videos and try to see how it goes. Also that gym is full of experienced guys.

I know I can front squat 275 (back squat is 315 right now) so I should clean more than 100 like the only time I tried…

[/quote]

The high pull should only be an assistance for the Olympic lifts when your form is good on the Olympic lifts. When you are learning the technique, high pulls will just confuse you and lead to using too much arms and not enough lower body.

When you are learning the clean or the snatch, the only assistance exercises you need are the clean and the snatch :wink:

Doing an assistance exercise to develop a movement you don’t yet know how to do is wasting energy. Just focus on learning the technique and get strong on the basic lifts.

Merci!