915 Phase 2, Bench Accessory?

Hey CT

I just Started the 915 program and I am pretty excited to see my results.

I was curious about some of the programming. For phase 2 benching, 2nd assistance exercise, you stated on your t-nation 915 article “The second movement will be an overload exercise where you’ll use a weight greater than what you could do in the full lift”. Do you mean a weight greater than your 1RM? For instance, if my 1RM for bench was 335lbs, I would do 3 sets of 3 reps at a weight greater than 335lbs for the assistance exercise (such as decline bench)?

Thanks!

You would do partial top half reps or bench from pins set just above the sticking point

Decline bench press is listed in the recommendations for the 2nd assistant exercise for bench press. But that’s not really what I am questioning. What I am wondering about is if you are supposed to complete 3 sets of 3 reps with a weight greater than your one rep max.

For instance f you can 3x3 with 300 pounds on regular bench, you (normally) will use more weight doing 3x3 with a partial lift. When I was doing this program my max bench was 120kg and I was doing board presses with 120-130kgs

Short answer is yes. 3x3 with more than 1RM. BUT there is no way in hell you are ever going to do that on a decline bench using your flat bench weights. If you try for the love of God have a smart spotter. What you misread from the article is that these movements are top half partials. Not full ROM…

“The second movement will be an overload exercise where you’ll use a weight greater than what you could do in the full lift. You’ll do this either by using partial movements or chains/bands to overload the top end of the exercise. This second movement is done for 3 sets of 3 repetitions. Here are your choices:”

Thanks for the replies!

Isn’t a decline bench a top half partial though? It definitely is not full ROM correct?

I was just using declines per example for the sake of using an example. I will likely do 90 degree partials or board presses.

If you tap the chest then I don’t think so. At least the way I do them it’s not. At least from my perspective if that were the case the decline bench would be stronger.

Does seem a bit tricky