90s Bodybuilder, 'The Wedge'?

[quote]Nards wrote:
Tom Platz is who I think of when I think of 80s bodybuilding. I love him.

Someome paosted something about him here a few weeks ago saying Platz used to chew rubber balls so that his jaw would keep up with the rest of his physique. Icalled bullshit on that but a couple of people after said it was true.
I’m going to google that now.[/quote]

It was me. Obviously I have no way of knowing if Platz did in fact chew on halved racquet balls to keep his jaw muscles up to par with the rest of him. It was just something I read once and it stuck with me.

There was a photo on the cover of Feb 1996 MMI that had a guy with incredible shoulder to waist ratio, but no name and nothing about him inside. I wondered if it was a fake. These days you’d instantly assume photoshopping.

[quote]Mattlebee wrote:
There was a photo on the cover of Feb 1996 MMI that had a guy with incredible shoulder to waist ratio, but no name and nothing about him inside. I wondered if it was a fake. These days you’d instantly assume photoshopping.[/quote]

Killer photo. Simply, a killer.

[quote]Mattlebee wrote:
There was a photo on the cover of Feb 1996 MMI that had a guy with incredible shoulder to waist ratio, but no name and nothing about him inside. I wondered if it was a fake. These days you’d instantly assume photoshopping.[/quote]

There’s a bodybuilder on that cover? All I see is Amy Fadhli . . .

[quote]Mattlebee wrote:

If you’re talking about the smaller photo of a huge guy doing one-armed over triceps extensions with what looks like a 180lb DB and the words “Can You Believe This?” then yeah…that’s fake and don’t believe it.

But I know what you mean about reading stuff and remembering it.
I recall an old magazine interview with Platz and he said when he went to college he’d drive around in some beaten up old car with holes in the floor and his jeans weren’t even dry from the washer yet and he’d carry a can of tuna and a can opener in his parka pocket for a snack between classes.
He also mentioned that he chose his classes so that they’d be close together on campus so he wouldn’t have to walk far and so save energy for squatting.