90% No Warm-up/6 Days. Poliquin-Simmons Training

Good point but to clarify my statement, when I said technique should be dialed in I meant that not training the comp. technique could lead to form degradation over time. You could remedy this by including the comp. lifts periodically a la Matt Wenning.

1 Like

Related, so not a Total derail.

How often would you/do you include the Competition Lifts? For Max Effort or Dynamic?

Earlier in the year I tested my deadlift, then 9 weeks of no Deadlifting from the floor. Then tested again. Deadlift went up, but I did get a little sloppy and get pulled forward some. So technique could have been better.

What works best? Would you periodically sprinkle in classic lifts? Or “return” to them for consecutive weeks before a meet?

I’m on a weight cut and rehabbing a hammy strain so I’m training a basic 4 day split but will return to conjugate in the summer.

I use the comp lifts as follows:
Squat: DE - 3 weeks comp, 3 weeks comp banded, 3 weeks box banded
ME - I rotate every week or two (depending on whether I hit an actual ME) hi bars to a box, wide stance box, manta ray hi box, and Good Mornings for 3’s. Prior to a meet I like suspended squats for three weeks (knees wrapped) with no box.

Deadlift - DE - half my singles are sumo, half are conventional (all banded) from 50-70% for 6-10 singles depending on feel.
ME - I use only block pulls starting on a 55lb bumper, and working down 1 step at a time to a 25 lb bumper. In my case the weight I can handle off 35lb bumpers is the weight I can pull off the floor. I sprinkle these in every third or 4th ME week. NO comp. DL’s off the floor prior to a meet.

Bench - DE - 9 x 3 at 40-50% plus micromini bands with three grips
ME - Floor press (my indicator), Pin press from chest, 3-4 " lockout pin press, Slingshot bench, Shoulder saver (2 board)

Bench is my worst lift technique not yet dialed in so I’m still fucking with the program. The other two lifts are pretty much on track.

How exactly do you do these? Is this the same as a dead squat or Anderson squat?

I use green Rogue bands. With my set up dimensions I get 40 lbs assist at the top and 80 at the bottom. I used a fish weighing scale to test it. I choked the bands at the top and pulled down with the scale.

The exercise act as a reliable indicator. Whatever I can to in this manner, I can single in meet conditions.

Do you just mean reverse band squats or is it a bottom-up lift?

Reverse bands or the future method as Louie now calls it.

I don’t like bottom up training for the same reason I don’t do any pause squats. I feel they teach lifters to stay in the hole too long. There is a fair amount of coordination involved in catching the stretch reflex at the right time on the way up.

I have actually had good results with dead squats (I’m doing them in my current meet prep) but the key is to do them above parallel, just below where speed starts to drop off. I’m going to compete in wraps and my sticking point is around the middle of the lift so I set the bar at about 1/3 of the way up.

Pause squats seem useful if you are squatting without wraps but I agree that they make little sense for squatting in wraps, except maybe high bar pause squats if you need more quad drive. Also, any time I have done pause squats as the “squat of the day” my squat was messed up the next session, I only do pause squats right after regular squatting. Dead squats too.

Coan used to use High Bar low pause squats in the off season. Try them.

I already do them on a regular basis, I cut them out about 10 weeks out from this meet and started doing dead squats instead.

On a similar note, have you ever tried Hatfield squats? I’m thinking of doing those as my main squat variation in the offseason, and of course high bar pause squats after to work on bottom end strength. I see Josh Bryant’s lifters using Hatfield squats in the offseason and their squat taking off once they start using the straight bar again. I would still do regular comp. squats on my light squat day though.

I dont think this is near optimal and Id even say it is retarded and no one should do it. With that being said my best ever deadlift of 660 was done with no warm up at all in blue jeans after taking about an hour nap in the gym and waking up to some kid acting like he was a bad ass for pulling it.

1 Like

I don’t have access to a SSB.

I meant if you had done them in the past, but I guess not.

Hey FlatsFarmer . So I do a Comp Max effort every 13 weeks , so four a year.
Also , forgot to mention that this is Supplemental training to my normal 4 / day split .