9 Months Pregnant and 24 Kipping Pull Ups

[quote]roybot wrote:
Discuss or digust?[/quote]

Lululemon pant privileges should be revoked after one month of gestation. Agreed??

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
Discuss or digust?[/quote]

Lululemon pant privileges should be revoked after one month of gestation. Agreed??[/quote]

Yes. A loose fitting maternity dress would be a far more sensible choice.

Meh, I don’t get the anger. If she can do them, good for her. I don’t see how it’s going to affect her baby. Are you all among the group who tell pregnant women not to reach over their head or they’ll strangle the baby with the cord? I’d be more worried about damage to my own joints than harm to the baby. When you’re pregnant, all your joints become relaxed and kind of loose. My hips felt like they’d shoot into different directions. Clearly that’s not the case for her so let her kip on.

I don’t get all the hate either. I can’t see how a few pullups will harm the fetus.

I wish my mom was that awesome.

It’s not hate to comment on the potential risks of a heavily pregnant woman performing a high risk manoeuvre. I’d say the same thing if she was standing on a ladder or swinging on a trapeze 30 feet in the air.

It’s just faddy nonsense designed to take advantage of the fact that she IS an expectant mother doing pull ups. Otherwise they’d just be like every other female Crossfitter out there and wouldn’t be getting the attention.

It’s human nature to believe that nothing bad will happen. Until it does. Then people stand around scratching their heads wondering how it came to this.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Meh, I don’t get the anger. If she can do them, good for her. I don’t see how it’s going to affect her baby. Are you all among the group who tell pregnant women not to reach over their head or they’ll strangle the baby with the cord? I’d be more worried about damage to my own joints than harm to the baby. When you’re pregnant, all your joints become relaxed and kind of loose. My hips felt like they’d shoot into different directions. Clearly that’s not the case for her so let her kip on.[/quote]

Don’t bring common sense and personal experience into this Julie. This is the interwebs, your actual knowledge of the subject has no relevance.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Meh, I don’t get the anger. If she can do them, good for her. I don’t see how it’s going to affect her baby. Are you all among the group who tell pregnant women not to reach over their head or they’ll strangle the baby with the cord? I’d be more worried about damage to my own joints than harm to the baby. When you’re pregnant, all your joints become relaxed and kind of loose. My hips felt like they’d shoot into different directions. Clearly that’s not the case for her so let her kip on.[/quote]

Don’t bring common sense and personal experience into this Julie. This is the interwebs, your actual knowledge of the subject has no relevance. [/quote]

Didn’t someone wise say something about the cock suck ratio being on the rise?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I would count a heavily pregnant woman flailing around (watch the video) as an unnecessary risk. But perhaps that’s just me.

Where do you draw the line? Do you think its a good idea for a heavily pregnant woman to squat, bench, or deadlift just because she can?

What do you think of the “increased cortisol levels bad for fetus” argument?

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

I would count a heavily pregnant woman flailing around (watch the video) as an unnecessary risk. But perhaps that’s just me.

Where do you draw the line? Do you think its a good idea for a heavily pregnant woman to squat, bench, or deadlift just because she can?

[/quote]

I think many people mistakenly think that pregnancy is a medical condition and illness that should be treated with velvet gloves. At what point do we wrap pregnant women up in cotton wool and insist that they don’t expose themselves to any uncontrolled environment because of any unanticipated danger.

Do you ever wonder how we managed to propagate given our less than ideal circumstances? Let’s all unclench our collective sphincters.

[quote]roybot wrote:
It’s not hate to comment on the potential risks of a heavily pregnant woman performing a high risk manoeuvre. I’d say the same thing if she was standing on a ladder or swinging on a trapeze 30 feet in the air.

It’s just faddy nonsense designed to take advantage of the fact that she IS an expectant mother doing pull ups. Otherwise they’d just be like every other female Crossfitter out there and wouldn’t be getting the attention.

It’s human nature to believe that nothing bad will happen. Until it does. Then people stand around scratching their heads wondering how it came to this. [/quote]

this, and to even make this a debate is laughable. Like the CF vid where they’re running around a track pulling a car as a team, then the woman gets hit ‘OH SHOCKING’

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

I think many people mistakenly think that pregnancy is a medical condition and illness that should be treated with velvet gloves. At what point do we wrap pregnant women up in cotton wool and insist that they don’t expose themselves to any uncontrolled environment because of any unanticipated danger.

Do you ever wonder how we managed to propagate given our less than ideal circumstances? Let’s all unclench our collective sphincters.
[/quote]

Nobody said that women should be wrapped in cotton wool, but every poster that dared to criticize the vid were obliquely called cocksuckers in anticipation of it, when the comment was never made. I know where this thread is heading. It ISN’T about reinforcing preconceptions of gender; it’s about whether a mom-to-be swinging from a high bar is a bad idea.

I don’t care how progressive or empowering it is, I just don’t see the merits of pregnant pull ups (apart from using the baby weight as extra poundage) and it would be futile to ask pregnant pull-uppers if they think it is a good idea because they obviously DO.

I know that my inability to bear children invalidates my opinion, but if men could give birth tomorrow I would call them retarded for bar-swinging activities, just as I’d discourage them from rollercoaster riding, base jumping, etc.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

It’s human nature to believe that nothing bad will happen. Until it does. Then people stand around scratching their heads wondering how it came to this. [/quote]

this, and to even make this a debate is laughable. Like the CF vid where they’re running around a track pulling a car as a team, then the woman gets hit ‘OH SHOCKING’[/quote]

I hope she’s insured.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nobody said that women should be wrapped in cotton wool, but everbody daring to criticize the vid were obliquely called cocksuckers in anticipation of it, when the comment was never made. I know where this thread is heading. It ISN’T about reinforcing preconceptions of gender; it’s about whether a mom-to-be swinging from a high bar is a bad idea.

I don’t care how progressive or empowering it is, I just don’t see the merits of pregnant pull ups (apart from using the baby weight as extra poundage) and it would be futile to ask pregnant pull-uppers if they think it is a good idea because they obviously DO.

I know that my inability to bear children invalidates my opinion, but if men could give birth tomorrow I would call them retarded for bar-swinging activities, just as I’d discourage them from rollercoaster riding, base jumping, etc.

[/quote]

Actually, gender preconceptions was not where it was going but thanks for anticipating. Kipping pull ups aside (I’m not a big cross fit fan) I don’t see much danger from hanging from a bar a couple of feet off the ground. The fact that you see it as so dangerous (for a pregnant woman) is kind of my point.

Having been pregnant more than once and being far from a foolish child myself I find the idea that pregnant women are so limited very tiring and defeating. It’s a pull up for heaven’s sake.

If only an actual pull-up was being performed…

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nobody said that women should be wrapped in cotton wool, but everbody daring to criticize the vid were obliquely called cocksuckers in anticipation of it, when the comment was never made. I know where this thread is heading. It ISN’T about reinforcing preconceptions of gender; it’s about whether a mom-to-be swinging from a high bar is a bad idea.

[/quote]

Actually, gender preconceptions was not where it was going but thanks for anticipating. Kipping pull ups aside (I’m not a big cross fit fan) I don’t see much danger from hanging from a bar a couple of feet off the ground. The fact that you see it as so dangerous (for a pregnant woman) is kind of my point.

Having been pregnant more than once and being far from a foolish child myself I find the idea that pregnant women are so limited very tiring and defeating. It’s a pull up for heaven’s sake.
[/quote]

My ‘anticipation’ was accurate because you went right back to the argument that telling pregnant woman that they shouldn’t be doing kipping pull ups is somehow limiting them. It’s not. It’s safeguarding the kid, not coddling mommy. To me, concern for the safety of the baby should be paramount, not the vanity of the mother. That duty of protection extends to those around her.

Can pregnant women do kipping pull ups? Yes. Obviously. We have the footage. Should they do them to prove to the world they can? No.

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
It is documented that high cortisol levels in the mother in the third trimester have adverse effects on the child.
[/quote]

Every study that I’ve seen on this topic talks about elevated baseline cortisol.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the problem of most people (including myself) is that she is doing kipping pullups, and should her grip slip and she fall off God forbid face first and land her on belly…well damn, that was unfortunate.

My mom exercised till a couple weeks before I was born.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

She’s not just hanging from a bar. She’s flailing about.

So I ask again, where do YOU draw the line? Do you think it’d be cool if she went skateboarding a couple of weeks out from having her child?

I mean, its just a skateboard for heavens sakes.

She’s having a boy.

She’s stated she’ll be naming him Kip.

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ranengin wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

She’s not just hanging from a bar. She’s flailing about.

So I ask again, where do YOU draw the line? Do you think it’d be cool if she went skateboarding a couple of weeks out from having her child?

I mean, its just a skateboard for heavens sakes.
[/quote]

How many times have you seen people fall from a sturdy pullup bar when kipping?

How many times have you seen people fall while skateboarding?

You’re acting like people are eating shit and fucking dying from this absurdly dangerous exercise every day. Are you going to start a facebook group?