9% BF But Still Look Super Full In Upper Body

I don’t usually worry about bodyfat %, but I think you are greatly underestimating yours and this could be a great disservice to your progress. You are more in the 18-22% range, which is perfectly fine for off-season and seems to have served you very well.

It’s best to temper your expectations now. You have an awesome base, especially in the legs and arms. But I’m betting on 180lb or less if you want to step on stage in good condition, especially if your doing BBing division vs. physique. It’d be a waste to do physique with your wheels IMO.

I’m not trying to be a dick, but help you be as objective as possible before you start. 18 weeks is very ambitious, but if you’re motivated enough, totally possible with minimal muscle loss. It looks like you’re prioritizing calories from protein which is great. But be prepared to have to lose 2-3lb/week and you can’t really afford to lose that momentum or take dieting breaks. I would expect sub 2000 cals to be necessary at some point down the line as well.

2 Likes

I would recommend official sanctioned powerlifting with three judges. You need to feel comfortable dealing with the stress of an official meet. Lifting in an unfamiliar environment, with slightly different equipment.

You’ve got a really strong look. Clearly you’re working hard in the gym.

How much are you sleeping? More you can sleep the more you’ll optimize your hormones. Higher Testosterone/Higher HGH = maximized muscle growth and leanness.

You get blood work done? CBC. Total and free testosterone? IGF-1? Nice to see these numbers than make tweaks and retest.

What’s your goal weight? Whatever that is multiply it by .8g

Ex 180 lbs x .8g protein = 144

I can get shredded with 130g protein at 6ft1 and I’m 38.

You can have more but I really don’t think it’s needed in my experience.

Cardio is not necessary to get lean.

Are you fasting 12 hours or more/day?

Have any questions, post below or DM me.

You’ve got time. You’ll get there.

1 Like

Sorry, but I don’t think you’re at 9% body-fat. You have plenty of time. If you’re not using PEDs, prepare to lose much of your mass. I did one teenage bodybuilding contest in 1987. Started at 210 lbs (6’ tall) and on contest day, I was a very ripped, but small 178. I was about as lean as you are when I weighed 210. I placed 4th out of 4. Three teen steroid users mopped the floor with me. The promoter, who was affiliated with NPC complimented my posing routine, but told me that if I wanted to win in an open bodybuilding contest, I’d need to use PEDs. That was my first and only contest. Dieting is a horrible experience.

2 Likes

He has a conflict of interest. It would have been a “little” better to get a judge’s opinion. I am not saying it would have been much different.

Also, most everyone I have seen attempt to get cut for a show loses much more muscle with their first attempt, than on subsequent cutting attempts.

I’d only been training for three years at the first contest (1987), so my mass level was low. I was better-suited for strength than for bodybuilding, but I had no interesting in taking the drugs necessary to compete in strength sports either. Perhaps I made the wrong decision. I have no ethical qualms against PEDSs, except that people lie about taking them. They should be legalized, regulated, and their use should monitored by physicians like they were in Arnold’s day.

Those were some of my days. I got prescriptions for AAS, but to say I was “monitored” would be a huge stretch.

1 Like

For those who are still actively on this forum, here is an update from this morning right before my lift. I was 218.3 and had nothing but 24 oz of water in my stomach

2 Likes

That kind of lighting won’t do you any favors on stage.

Looks like you are making good progress. Start including pics of your legs, so we can see if you are getting some muscle separation there. Maybe back too, flexed double biceps if you can. What is the date of your show? That will be easier for me than you telling me how many weeks out you are.

Note: 24oz of water is about 1.5lbs.

You should be taking full body photos in mandatories to keep progress. No overhead lighting.

It goes: You <<<< camera<<<Light source.

1 Like

I think arms look to kind of be your weak point. If you’re already in cutting mode, it May be too late to do much about that. Just food for thought going forward. Can never go wrong with huge arms, so I definitely think that should be an emphasis for you.

-5lb in just 2 weeks, great start! Keep it up.

Take a read through this thread. Rob kept pretty detailed notes on his contest prep and he came in second or third I think.

I suspect it will discourage your pursuit as it was not an enjoyable experience for Rob - he did repeat it though.

2 Likes

@The_Myth good to see you buddy, thanks for sharing this! @Cowboy68k, happy to provide some insight. I have a couple prep logs on here from four shows. 2016 I got 4th, then 2nd, 2017 I won both shows overall.

What’s your goal? Are you competing for a show soon? If so, when is it? Objectively speaking as I JUST got on here, you’re not 9% BF. Ultimately, what percentage BF you are doesn’t matter, all that matters is how you look on stage. Agreed with previous posters, that lighting is not ideal and might look good on social but doesn’t portray your physique accurately. Stage lights are BRUTAL and hold no mercy. I would ESTIMATE you’re around 13-14%. The pics you posted three weeks ago, 15-16%, legs have a long way to go. I’m guessing you’ve got 25-30 pounds to get on the bodybuilding stage.

I encourage you to check out my prep log that’s been linked, I was SUPER detailed on the daily with pics, mental status, emotions, everything. Strictly natural.

If you can post some specific questions I’d be happy to provide insight. As @The_Myth said, it was not enjoyable lol. The discipline, lifestyle, journey, is intense and life changing in a great way if you make the most of it, but to do it right is absolutely relentless and the textbook definition of suffering. Again, LMK what specific questions you have and I’ll be happy to provide insight. Be sure to tag me so I’ll get the notification and pop on.

3 Likes