9,7,5,5,7,9 Rep Scheme?

@Christian_Thibaudeau
What is stimulus response thats trying to be achieved with the rep scheme 9,7,5,5,7,9 (75%,80%,85%,85%,80%,75%) and when would you use it?

Ty

I have personally never used that reps/sets scheme. But it’s a double pyramid. What stimulus i achieved? Well it’s a mixed hypertrophy/strength scheme meaning that it should allow you to build muscle and strength pretty much equally.

t could work well with Types 2B and even Type 3. A type 1A and 1B would likely get a performance decrease on the sets of 5 because of the early sets of 9 and 7, so that might not work optimally. Could work for a 2A if he has good tolerance for volume.

Basically the early sets of 9 and 7 are almost like warm-up, a sort of ramp for the two sets of 5. f you are someone who has good muscular endurance this might actually prepare you well for the sets of 5 without fatiguing you too much. The sets of 5 stimulate both growth and strength. Then you do sets of 7 and 9 to fully fatigue the muscle fibers, stimulating more muscle growth. By the time you hit those last two sets you do have some fatigue BUT the sets of 5 likely amped up the nervous system so despite the fatigue you can still do the sets of 7 and 9 and likely recruit more muscle fibers to do so than during the ealier sets of 9 and 7.

The main issues is the volume of work that not everybody can progress optimally on as well as the fatigue created by the first two sets that could lead to a bad performance on the sets of 5 in some people.

1 Like

In which phase would this be appropriate (accumulation)?

Accumulation for Type 2A or could even be intensification for 2B

Interesting I was thinking 2b intensification. Cool ty.