9/23 Strong Words

“To chop a finger off, that’s a bit drastic. But I love my footy, and love playing sport, and it that’s going to help me to succeed at this level, then it’s just something you’ve just got to do.” Australian rules football player Brett Blackwell, explaining why he’s going to have his left ring finger amputated (he broke it three years ago and it continues to hamper his playing)

Ronnie Lott did the same thing, but I think he had half his pinkie cut off.

The scary thing is I can see myself making the same decision if I was fortunate enough to play ball at a high level.

The Yakuza do it for prestige alone and with no anesthesia. Some old east coast Algonquin tribes would lop a few off fingers in the rite of passage to manhood again with no anesthesia.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
… Algonquin tribes would lop a few off fingers in the rite of passage to manhood … [/quote]

As long as they don’t lop of their manhood.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Dedicated wrote:
… Algonquin tribes would lop a few off fingers in the rite of passage to manhood …

As long as they don’t lop of their manhood.[/quote]

True that!

I don’t see how his finger could be hampering his play…unless the pain is bothering him? In that case lopping it off doesn’t seem to be the best solution.

[quote]CaptainLogic wrote:
I don’t see how his finger could be hampering his play…unless the pain is bothering him? In that case lopping it off doesn’t seem to be the best solution.

[/quote]

He’s had some chronic pain in the one finger, I don’t remember if it was from being broken several times or what, but in Aussie rules you constantly have to jump up and catch a ball. A sharp pain every time you do this would be quite counter productive.

[quote]croak wrote:
He’s had some chronic pain in the one finger, I don’t remember if it was from being broken several times or what, but in Aussie rules you constantly have to jump up and catch a ball. A sharp pain every time you do this would be quite counter productive.[/quote]

Ah shit, by football I thought they meant soccer.