T Nation

9/11 Memorial

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I really like how they look.

Each pool is 1-acre and together they are intended to symbolize the loss of life and the physical void left by the terrorist attacks. The sound of the water falling is supposed to drown out the sounds of the city, making the site a contemplative sanctuary (courtesy of wiki).[/quote]

I’ve checked it out several times and the memorial is beautiful, and very sobering.

I do, however, think a more fitting course of action would’ve been to have this memorial at the site of one of the other buildings destroyed and rebuilt the twin towers bigger, stronger, and better.

I believe this fits better with the ideology of NYC, which is to be the greatest city in the world.

[quote]Bryan Krahn wrote:

Each pool is 1-acre and together they are intended to symbolize the loss of life and the physical void left by the terrorist attacks. The sound of the water falling is supposed to drown out the sounds of the city, making the site a contemplative sanctuary (courtesy of wiki).[/quote]

I’ve checked it out several times and the memorial is beautiful, and very sobering.

I do, however, think a more fitting course of action would’ve been to have this memorial at the site of one of the other buildings destroyed and rebuilt the twin towers bigger, stronger, and better.

I believe this fits better with the ideology of NYC, which is to be the greatest city in the world. [/quote]

I think the designers are afraid of the perception that they are replacing the old towers, and by proxy, replacing the people that were lost that day. While NYC as a whole suffered a loss that day, the families suffered one greater still.

Gay. They should have replaced them with some new building that was like 1000 stories tall.

I’ve been there, it’s very nicely done.

I don’t have a problem with it. I wouldn’t have a problem if they wanted to rebuild something, either. I think the important part is having something there that represents a reminder of everything that happened that day and everyone who lost their life. And I think it’s more likely that a lot of that would get lost if they just rebuilt bigger buildings.

That’s just my opinion, but like I said, I don’t feel too strongly either way.

And something I didn’t see on a quick browsing of the site, but there was 1 tree in the area that survived that day, I believe they are calling it the Tree of Hope and it’s pretty cool to see that as well.

I believe this fits better with the ideology of NYC, which is to be the greatest city in the world. [/quote]

This. ^^^

I’m sure it is a beautiful memorial. My point is pretty much exactly what you said. I was literally thinking that, if I were a New Yorker, I’d be pissed that they did not rebuild the Twin Towers in the same spot, bigger and better than before.

As an American I’m pissed about it.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Gay. They should have replaced them with some new building that was like 1000 stories tall.[/quote]

Two new buildings.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

I think the designers are afraid of the perception that they are replacing the old towers, and by proxy, replacing the people that were lost that day. While NYC as a whole suffered a loss that day, the families suffered one greater still.[/quote]

My opinion, obviously, and I did not lose friends or family in the towers so I cannot say how I would feel (though I don’t think I’d feel any differently), but I think that rebuilding the towers with a fitting, respectful memorial that encompasses much of the outside and lobby of the towers would have taken care of that problem.

Anyone here who did lose friends or family that cares to weigh in?

[quote]Cortes wrote:

This. ^^^

I’m sure it is a beautiful memorial. My point is pretty much exactly what you said. I was literally thinking that, if I were a New Yorker, I’d be pissed that they did not rebuild the Twin Towers in the same spot, bigger and better than before.

As an American I’m pissed about it. [/quote]

Probably has to do with what’s most profitable. The 9/11 memorial is now a MAJOR tourist destination. The actual tour/visitation may be free (it was when I went last) but all the surrounding stores make a lot of money from all the souvenirs and trinkets they sell.

So assuming the above is true, isn’t promoting the capitalist system by turning a buck the best way to promote the American way?

Not to get all squishy…

But in my opinion, rebuilding the same towers (or bigger) would only highlight our nation’s typical short attention span and general apathy towards its own history. It, (the memorial), isnt about defiance and ‘showing them’. People died there- it is sacred ground. The person who orchestrated the attack is rotting forever with whale shit. Majority of the dudes who planned/prepared that attack are also dead as fuck - so they want/so they get.

The attack happened. Our nation changed forever because of that day- not just the iconic cityscape of NYC. Yeah, it’s a scar; something traumatic happened. And a scar is a reminder you survived. If it stirs emotion- all the better.

I’m reminded of the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C. Quite a few VN veterans despised the monument when they first saw pictures or drafts of the design. Not too many felt the same way after visiting it- Hell, I’ve been twice and it’s difficult not to be moved by it.

Just my two cents.

[quote]DirtyM wrote:
Not to get all squishy…

But in my opinion, rebuilding the same towers (or bigger) would only highlight our nation’s typical short attention span and general apathy towards its own history. It, (the memorial), isnt about defiance and ‘showing them’. People died there- it is sacred ground. The person who orchestrated the attack is rotting forever with whale shit. Majority of the dudes who planned/prepared that attack are also dead as fuck - so they want/so they get.

The attack happened. Our nation changed forever because of that day- not just the iconic cityscape of NYC. Yeah, it’s a scar; something traumatic happened. And a scar is a reminder you survived. If it stirs emotion- all the better.

I’m reminded of the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C. Quite a few VN veterans despised the monument when they first saw pictures or drafts of the design. Not too many felt the same way after visiting it- Hell, I’ve been twice and it’s difficult not to be moved by it.

Just my two cents. [/quote]

This is a very respectable counter-point. Thanks.

To clarify: Isn’t designing the area to promote business, the best way to show terrorists have done nothing to dull the American spirit?

[quote]therajraj wrote:
To clarify: Isn’t designing the area to promote business, the best way to show terrorists have done nothing to dull the American spirit?[/quote]

Another good point. They should put a titty bar right in the center, too.

Do I really have to put one of those winky smiley guys?

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
To clarify: Isn’t designing the area to promote business, the best way to show terrorists have done nothing to dull the American spirit?[/quote]

Do I really have to put one of those winky smiley guys?[/quote]

Not trying to degrade the site at all if that’s what you’re trying to suggest.

What America is known for is being the place where you have an opportunity to work hard, build yourself from humble means and become something great. The land of opportunity.

Promoting business in the area says “Hey you may have attacked us, but we are still continuing our way of life”

So while you can take my suggestion to absurd conclusions and suggest placing a mall or a titty bar or something else non-nonsensical, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

I mean NYC is the financial capital of the country. Wouldn’t symbolizing the American way of life by promoting business and living well be the best way to stick it to those trying to destroy that?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Do I really have to put one of those winky smiley guys?[/quote]

Not trying to degrade the site at all if that’s what you’re trying to suggest.

What America is known for is being the place where you have an opportunity to work hard, build yourself from humble means and become something great. The land of opportunity.

Promoting business in the area says “Hey you may have attacked us, but we are still continuing our way of life”

So while you can take my suggestion to absurd conclusions and suggest placing a mall or a titty bar or something else non-nonsensical, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

I mean NYC is the financial capital of the country. Wouldn’t symbolizing the American way of life by promoting business and living well be the best way to stick it to those trying to destroy that?

[/quote]

America is about SO much more than money and business, though. To suggest that THAT is the defining feature of America is to denigrate everything else that America is about. It’s also arguably the most beautiful country in the world, so something that isn’t a beautiful, architectural wonder does a disservice.

x2 on being pissed they dint build the tallest building in the world there.

Instead the tallest building in the world is in … The middle east and is a big middle finger to the west.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
x2 on being pissed they dint build the tallest building in the world there.

Instead the tallest building in the world is in … The middle east and is a big middle finger to the west. [/quote]

Purty much.

And to add to what Aggv just said. If I was an America hating terrorist or terrorist sympathizer, it would give me the most supreme satisfaction to see two giant gaping holes in the ground at the very nexus of their ideological heroes’ “victory.”

Whereas, two more gigantic-ass buildings, now even bigger and better than before…I’m not a terrorist, myself, but I can’t imagine that would elicit the same reaction from me.

*edited typos

I also think it’s ugly, couldn’t they plant a tree for everyone who perished? Couldn’t they make it a beautiful oasis in the midst of that concrete jungle, somewhere people could sit and reflect? It just looks so cold to me.

Allow me to fix this post for you:

[quote]Cortes wrote:
I’m not a terrorist, myself, but [/quote]

my conservative positions on some issues are being compared to such in certian circles, and it is catching on in the press and everyday language. Today’s extremist is tomorrows…