T Nation

9/11 Memorial

Not sure how long this will stay in GAL but this is not totally political in nature so much as it is human and American.

Am I the only person who is fucking annoyed by the choice to replace the holes where the twin towers were with…holes? And a single, atrociously ugly building in replacement of the Trade Center? I don’t typically use such language here, but fuck this. Seriously? This is how we memorialize three thousand of our murdered countrymen? By two gigantic gaping reminders of just what happened as those buildings collapsed upon themselves in a hellish inferno of melted steel and rubble and vaporized blood and powdered bone and teeth and terror and death?

Fuck. That.

They should have built those Twin Towers up just as they were before, only one floor higher, as a big FUCK YOU to the murderous animals who thought they could put a dent in our spirit.

How hard would that have been? All this debate and discussion, for years on end, and this is what they finally came up with? This?

I am sickened and incalculably disappointed.

http://www.911memorial.org

Purely out of curiosity, have you visited the memorial?

I really like how they look.

Each pool is 1-acre and together they are intended to symbolize the loss of life and the physical void left by the terrorist attacks. The sound of the water falling is supposed to drown out the sounds of the city, making the site a contemplative sanctuary (courtesy of wiki).

I think it’s quite fitting.

EDIT: The holes. The building is a matter of taste, and is not my cup of tea.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Purely out of curiosity, have you visited the memorial?[/quote]

No, I haven’t. The first I actually had heard of it was today, when a friend of mine on facebook had gone and posted a bunch of pics. I had actually put the whole thing out of my mind as I’m in Japan and it was taking so long for anyone to finally decide on what to do with the thing. For all I know, it’s been up forever now.

I’m certain I’m going to get some disagreement here, too, and I’m even open to hearing the motivation behind this choice. This was a pure, emotional reaction of a post upon seeing it for the first time. My first reaction: I hate it.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
I have to say that I tend to agree with my good friend Cortes.

What they’ve done is nice enough, but it tends to focus on the loss and the victimization.

Something a little more defiant would have been better.[/quote]

Defiance is why they hate you guys bro.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

What they’ve done is nice enough, but it tends to focus on the loss and the victimization.

Not sure about America as a whole, but in Australia and NZ, it’s more of a “lest we forget” mentality.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I really like how they look.

Each pool is 1-acre and together they are intended to symbolize the loss of life and the physical void left by the terrorist attacks. The sound of the water falling is supposed to drown out the sounds of the city, making the site a contemplative sanctuary (courtesy of wiki).[/quote]

Yeah, I kind of understand the motivation behind it. I just think, as Chushin states rather more eloquently than I do, that it puts the focus on the victimization, when we should be giving the finger. Two, 111 floor, concrete, steel and glass fingers, to be exact.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Defiance is why they hate you guys bro.[/quote]

Hell yeah.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Not sure about America as a whole, but in Australia and NZ, it’s more of a “lest we forget” mentality.[/quote]

Forget what?

Makavali you found a job in Aussie, huh?

Just adding to the brain drain man…

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Not sure about America as a whole, but in Australia and NZ, it’s more of a “lest we forget” mentality.[/quote]

Damn, Mak, I just realized that was you.

How you been, bro? In fact, where have you been?

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Forget what? [/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ode_of_Remembrance etc.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

Damn, Mak, I just realized that was you.

How you been, bro? In fact, where have you been? [/quote]

Busy with work, not a lot of time to browse the net recently.

Can’t complain though, some pretty cool new projects at work which have been great to work on.

Makavali you found a job in Aussie, huh?

Just adding to the brain drain man…[/quote]

Someone had to raise the average IQ of Australia.

What field of work are you in?

What field of work are you in?[/quote]

Architecture. Mostly mining related now - building camps for FIFO/DIDO now.

Nice, I know some people studying architecture here at UoA. I’m doing advisory next year in Auckland. Going to enjoy this last year of freedom LOL.