T Nation

9/11 Memorial

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473404,00.html

Let me summarize: Please Mr. President, in an effort to create a memorial to celebrate what our country stands for, use your considerable power as a singular executive to seize private property from an unwilling seller.

mike

What horsecrap. Sorry they lost loved ones, but they can’t do that. It’s not their land.

Period.

Your guys names being next to each other confused me for a sec…

but yeah. This is a crock of shit.

Meh. I have issues with the eminent domain power as a general matter. But this use is better than many uses for which private individuals are kicked out of their homes.

The Supreme Court has caused the problem. It has re-defined term ‘public use’ in a loose, vague way that leaves property rights vulnerable to virtually anything the government chooses to call ‘public use,’ ‘public good,’ or ‘public interest.’ Including taking property from a homeowner or small business owner to give it to a private company that will bring in more taxes.

They don’t need a 58 million dollar memorial.

I am sure a horrible tragedy has happend on every piece of land in this entire world. 9/11 will never be forgotten, but taking others land isn’t the correct way of remembering.

Wow. Hard to tell who the terrorists are.

I think they should seize the land. All of it. They should confiscate all the land under the entire flight path of the aircraft. We can have the worlds largest monument to a plane crash.

If we build a monument the terrorists win.

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473404,00.html

Let me summarize: Please Mr. President, in an effort to create a memorial to celebrate what our country stands for, use your considerable power as a singular executive to seize private property from an unwilling seller.

mike[/quote]

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but they should have taken Souter’s house here in NH and made that museum to the death of liberty.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
Mikeyali wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,473404,00.html

Let me summarize: Please Mr. President, in an effort to create a memorial to celebrate what our country stands for, use your considerable power as a singular executive to seize private property from an unwilling seller.

mike

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but they should have taken Souter’s house here in NH and made that museum to the death of liberty.[/quote]

I actually wrote in about that one. I’d have paid money to stay at the Liberty Inn. More tax dollars for the community. They should have taken it.

mike

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Makavali wrote:
What horsecrap. Sorry they lost loved ones, but they can’t do that. It’s not their land.

Period.

Happens all the time and for reasons far less worthy than this one.[/quote]

That is absolutely disgusting. There are people that break their backs to get a piece of land to call their own, and the Government can seize it on a whim or the loud protesting of others?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Makavali wrote:
What horsecrap. Sorry they lost loved ones, but they can’t do that. It’s not their land.

Period.

Happens all the time and for reasons far less worthy than this one.

That is absolutely disgusting. There are people that break their backs to get a piece of land to call their own, and the Government can seize it on a whim or the loud protesting of others?[/quote]

It’s because it’s the “right” thing to do in this case! It is paying our dues to living in such a free country. Thats why I laugh when people go on about their property, I just say, well it isn’t, it can be seized in a heartbeat.

Is he at least getting compensated?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
John S. wrote:
Is he at least getting compensated?

Eminent domain requires compensation.[/quote]

Any news on what he is getting?

Does it matter what he’s getting? If he isn’t willing to sell it, it’s theft, even if he get’s twice what the land’s worth (which he almost certainly won’t). If I stole your car (I needed to get my kids to school!) and left a bunch of money on the ground, I’d still be guilty of theft.