8x8 After Heavy Work

Hello Coach,

I know I shouldn’t frankenstein a written program but out of curiosity, you once wrote that doing heavy sets of low reps first would increase the effectiveness of the later pump work. Would that be a good idea to do Gironda’s 8X8 for the same big lift after let’s say, doing heavy 3X3? For example;
A) Bench press: 3x3
B) Wide grip bench press: 8x8

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

I know I shouldn’t frankenstein a written program but out of curiosity, you once wrote that doing heavy sets of low reps first would increase the effectiveness of the later pump work. Would that be a good idea to do Gironda’s 8X8 for the same big lift after let’s say, doing heavy 3X3? For example;
B) Wide grip bench press: 8x8 [/quote]

I am not CT, but I think:
You dont frankenstein anything here because what you have written is not a program, it’s only two combined loading schemes. 8*8 is loading schemes popularized by Vince Girond, where you go for the pump with light weights. The heavy weights will activate your cns and recruit the fast twitch muscle fibers. CT is a big fan of that kind of training and uses it often (layer system). So your suggestion would be a good idea:P

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

You dont frankenstein anything here because what you have written is not a program, it’s only two combined loading schemes. 8*8 is loading schemes popularized by Vince Girond, where you go for the pump with light weights. The heavy weights will activate your cns and recruit the fast twitch muscle fibers. CT is a big fan of that kind of training and uses it often (layer system). So your suggestion would be a good idea:P[/quote]

Thank you for your answer. I know he is, that was what I had in mind

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

You dont frankenstein anything here because what you have written is not a program, it’s only two combined loading schemes. 8*8 is loading schemes popularized by Vince Girond, where you go for the pump with light weights. The heavy weights will activate your cns and recruit the fast twitch muscle fibers. CT is a big fan of that kind of training and uses it often (layer system). So your suggestion would be a good idea:P[/quote]

Yeeeahhhhh… it’s not as simple as that. You can’t just thrown in any loading schemes/training methods together like that. It took me 3 years to publish the layer system for a reason.

Would 3 x 3 + 8 x 8 work? Maybe. But it would depend on how you perform the 8 x 8. If you see it as 8 hard sets of 8 reps, taking a fairly long rest period between sets to be able to go heavy on the sets of 8, it will likely be too much. The Gironda 8x8 is a density method… basically doing 8 sets of 8 reps with minimal rest (about 20-30 seconds… some of his advanced lifters used as little as 15 sec.) … basically it’s more like one long rest/pause set than 8 distinct sets. As such the load is fairly light and is nothing like 8 regular sets of 8 reps. The Gironda version would likely work, the 8x8 regular sets might be too much. Could be manageable over the short term, but you would hit the wall fast.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

Yeeeahhhhh… it’s not as simple as that. You can’t just thrown in any loading schemes/training methods together like that. It took me 3 years to publish the layer system for a reason.

Would 3 x 3 + 8 x 8 work? Maybe. But it would depend on how you perform the 8 x 8. If you see it as 8 hard sets of 8 reps, taking a fairly long rest period between sets to be able to go heavy on the sets of 8, it will likely be too much. The Gironda 8x8 is a density method… basically doing 8 sets of 8 reps with minimal rest (about 20-30 seconds… some of his advanced lifters used as little as 15 sec.) … basically it’s more like one long rest/pause set than 8 distinct sets. As such the load is fairly light and is nothing like 8 regular sets of 8 reps. The Gironda version would likely work, the 8x8 regular sets might be too much. Could be manageable over the short term, but you would hit the wall fast.
[/quote]

Thank you sir. And I have one more question if you don’t mind. I am starting the last phase of the power look program. I have been doing double stimulation for my chest upon your advice, and wonder whether if I can keep doing it or if I should drop it, since the last phases cuts the volume and prepares to handle heavy weights. Thank you in advance.

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

[/quote]

Thank you sir. And I have one more question if you don’t mind. I am starting the last phase of the power look program. I have been doing double stimulation for my chest upon your advice, and wonder whether if I can keep doing it or if I should drop it, since the last phases cuts the volume and prepares to handle heavy weights. Thank you in advance. [/quote]

You can likely keep it up for a few more weeks. The last week cut it out.

[quote]erenasena wrote:

[quote]Akidara wrote:

[quote]erenasena wrote:
Hello Coach,

[/quote]

Thank you sir. And I have one more question if you don’t mind. I am starting the last phase of the power look program. I have been doing double stimulation for my chest upon your advice, and wonder whether if I can keep doing it or if I should drop it, since the last phases cuts the volume and prepares to handle heavy weights. Thank you in advance. [/quote]

You can likely keep it up for a few more weeks. The last week cut it out.[/quote]

Thank you very much