T Nation

882.5kg at 83.9kg - IPF Single Ply

Figured I would share. A new PR total for me and the best single ply WILKs of all time in the Canadian Powerlifting Union! Have Nationals in 6 weeks and plan to put together a better total then.

Damn. You have a gorgeous sumo. Congratulations.

Damn, nice work! That deadlift was too easy.

Thanks guys! I have National Championships in 6 weeks so I had planned to make attempts less than maximal (which I succeeded on with the squat and deadlift!). I will post the nationals videos in 6 weeks with what should be a much bigger total!

Hope your training for nationals is going well!

I definitely echo that comment about your sumo and would love to hear your perspective if you got time. How do you approach the sumo in your training? Favorite accessory work, programming style, do you still pull conventional?

Are you coached by someone? And what kind of programming do you follow?

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
You have a gorgeous sumo.[/quote]What a way with words. Nice meet, Adam.

Awesome numbers! Good luck at the Nationals.

To reply to sutebun and kpsnap:
I have always trained myself and written my own programs. My training is like 98% competition lifts and almost always follows the recommendations of Prelipin’s Table. I train high frequency - 3-4sq, 6bp, and 3 deadlift per week.

Specifics to the deadlift - again, my training is almost exclusively the competition lift, though it is performed maybe ~60-70% beltless, 20-30% with a belt, and less than 10% of the time with a suit. I simply preach a focus on making every rep as close to the ideal form as possible and evaluating using film and your experience (or perhaps the experience of someone else if you don’t feel capable of evaluating yourself objectively and unbiased). As such, my training weights are always flexible so as to ensure that there is not a dramatic deviation from ideal competition form. Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more specifics if you are interested.

Thanks very much for the positive wishes for nationals - looks like training is going right on track for a great competition! Any of you folks CPU lifters that will be there?

[quote]arramzy wrote:
To reply to sutebun and kpsnap:
I have always trained myself and written my own programs. My training is like 98% competition lifts and almost always follows the recommendations of Prelipin’s Table. I train high frequency - 3-4sq, 6bp, and 3 deadlift per week.

Specifics to the deadlift - again, my training is almost exclusively the competition lift, though it is performed maybe ~60-70% beltless, 20-30% with a belt, and less than 10% of the time with a suit. I simply preach a focus on making every rep as close to the ideal form as possible and evaluating using film and your experience (or perhaps the experience of someone else if you don’t feel capable of evaluating yourself objectively and unbiased). As such, my training weights are always flexible so as to ensure that there is not a dramatic deviation from ideal competition form. Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more specifics if you are interested.

Thanks very much for the positive wishes for nationals - looks like training is going right on track for a great competition! Any of you folks CPU lifters that will be there?[/quote]

I’m interested to know a bit more about your training, since it’s obviously working very well for you.

You say you follow Prilepin’s table and you are flexible with the weights, does that mean that you also adjust daily volume/total reps based on how things are going?

And you also say 98% of your training is the comp. lifts, you don’t really do any variations? What about accessory work like lats and abs?

I have been experimenting with different things, I find that variations don’t do much in terms of building strength for my squat and deadlift, although they can help with technique in some cases (like SSB squats to fix forward lean). Bench seems to respond to anything, but maybe because it’s my best lift and probably the least technical of the three.

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:

[quote]arramzy wrote:
To reply to sutebun and kpsnap:
I have always trained myself and written my own programs. My training is like 98% competition lifts and almost always follows the recommendations of Prelipin’s Table. I train high frequency - 3-4sq, 6bp, and 3 deadlift per week.

Specifics to the deadlift - again, my training is almost exclusively the competition lift, though it is performed maybe ~60-70% beltless, 20-30% with a belt, and less than 10% of the time with a suit. I simply preach a focus on making every rep as close to the ideal form as possible and evaluating using film and your experience (or perhaps the experience of someone else if you don’t feel capable of evaluating yourself objectively and unbiased). As such, my training weights are always flexible so as to ensure that there is not a dramatic deviation from ideal competition form. Hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask more specifics if you are interested.

Thanks very much for the positive wishes for nationals - looks like training is going right on track for a great competition! Any of you folks CPU lifters that will be there?[/quote]

I’m interested to know a bit more about your training, since it’s obviously working very well for you.

You say you follow Prilepin’s table and you are flexible with the weights, does that mean that you also adjust daily volume/total reps based on how things are going?

And you also say 98% of your training is the comp. lifts, you don’t really do any variations? What about accessory work like lats and abs?

I have been experimenting with different things, I find that variations don’t do much in terms of building strength for my squat and deadlift, although they can help with technique in some cases (like SSB squats to fix forward lean). Bench seems to respond to anything, but maybe because it’s my best lift and probably the least technical of the three.[/quote]

Indeed basically no variation other than the quantity of gear worn. Accessory work - usually a few sets of pullups once a week. No abs, just beltless work.

Regarding training regulation:
Indeed volume and intensities will regulate based on my feelings of fatigue as well as my plans for the training phase and my intentions for near-future workouts. Being entirely honest, over the years I have become very capable of knowing what the outcome of my training will be and as such my training plans are usually pretty accurate and don’t change much unless my life goes in unexpected direction (e.g. up late doing work and only slept a few hours). For more beginners, I usually write programs that will be more firm in terms of expectations but will err in the direction that things will rarely be too hard/lead to failure, but it is acceptable if sometimes effort is lower than expected. Certainly for beginners (and frankly for EVERYONE) the key to training is to be practicing your ideal movement. If the weight interferes with your ability to learn and practice ideal motor paths, you aren’t developing the skill properly. In more advanced lifters, the deviation from ideal should lessen and lessen and lessen until your 100% max rep looks just like your 50% rep with the exception of bar speed. Remember that as you push into elite levels you need to be constantly pushing the limits and being just on the right side of the border of injury and overtraining - it requires a better understanding of your own bodies capabilities and limits that isn’t necessary in early phases of development.

Had no idea you were this light…sick

Wtf is that

Where do you train?
Please teach me how to lift tons

Beast Mode. Crush it at Nationals.

Impressive numbers! Talk about motivating!
Congrats on these lifts and you’ll crush Nationals here in 6 weeks.

Awesome form on that deadlift.
Nice total and wilks

Absolutely brilliant effort.

If I may hitch hike for a bit (not a hijack, for I shall bail soon and expect the same from others.)

Note the application of Prelipin’s Table.

Note that the event is the workout and vice versa (i.e. the Big 3 are both the assistance exercises and the event.)

Note strict attention to form over broad load ranges yields both primary and support work.

Note practice, practice, practice which means more time on the lifts themselves.

NOTE THAT HE HAS HIS SPINE IN A LINE.

Thanks very much for the support everyone! And thanks for the comments emskee - agree on all points.

Was at nationals last weekend. Was a tough travel/sleep/time arrangement but still put together a good meet. Arrived 4am on Friday and then had to lift Saturday at 7am. Only got 2hr of sleep Friday night due to jetlag. Regardless, I decided to really go for it on my 600 wilks goal and came up just short… You’ll see. That’s going to haunt my dreams until I claim this milestone.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
And thanks for the comments emskee - agree on all points.

[/quote]

Thank you for illustrating these points. There is a big message here and you sir are the medium.

EDIT: When I did well in competition in the 80’s (nowhere near as proficiently as you) my work was based on Prilepin, my assistance work for a lift was more time spent on the lift thus providing more opportunity to lift with proper form. A complete deadlift workout, for example, could take as little as 15 minutes to complete. And yes, core work was more beltless lifting. It is pretty much how I train now, though my age and other related factors have limited my capacity for work.

You are the only other person I have seen to espouse this form of training(save for a very, very few way back then, Simmons being my inspiration.)

People, take note here.

The recovery on the squat was awesome. I can’t believe you were so close for the deadlift. Great work overall. You’ll definitely get that in the next meet.