85 Snatch at BW of 72kg

RA Roman is on of the best books on weightlifting technique and optimal bodyweight for your height. Its based around top results from Russian weightlifters(who were the best at the time) not American ones(who are one of the worst)

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:
If you can pull your max that high then strength is probably not your limiting factor. Speed under the bar and receiving position is probably your weak point atm. [/quote]

Speed under. The guy has a big pull but hasn’t gotten to the point where his bar height drop isn’t so dramatic yet. It takes years to get to that point for most lifters IMO. Again his % would indicate this BS 130, Sn 72, where it should be nearer 75-78kg but 72 isn’t too bad. But yeah the OP is no where near strong enough to Sn 100kg. He would have to BS at least 155-160-165 to make that happen.

[quote]Will Vatcher wrote:
RA Roman is on of the best books on weightlifting technique and optimal bodyweight for your height. Its based around top results from Russian weightlifters(who were the best at the time) not American ones(who are one of the worst)[/quote]

lol you have opened up a can of worms lol

Koing

He he, American weightlifters are no worse than British ones, it isn’t exactly either of their strong points. Other sports absolutely(sprinting, rowing). The Chinese are the current powerhouse. If you want to learn why not learn from the best?

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]DaTruth1 wrote:
If you can pull your max that high then strength is probably not your limiting factor. Speed under the bar and receiving position is probably your weak point atm. [/quote]

Speed under. The guy has a big pull but hasn’t gotten to the point where his bar height drop isn’t so dramatic yet. It takes years to get to that point for most lifters IMO. Again his % would indicate this BS 130, Sn 72, where it should be nearer 75-78kg but 72 isn’t too bad. But yeah the OP is no where near strong enough to Sn 100kg. He would have to BS at least 155-160-165 to make that happen.

RA Roman is on of the best books on weightlifting technique and optimal bodyweight for your height. Its based around top results from Russian weightlifters(who were the best at the time) not American ones(who are one of the worst)[/quote]

lol you have opened up a can of worms lol

Koing[/quote]

@koing this is actually an 85kg snatch Koing lol

the positions you hit in the pull will impact your ability to get under.

once you’ve made some more progress in the pull then maybe do some block work to aid finish and speed under, if necessary.

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry. For some reason I kept thinking it was a 72kg Sn at 85kg :stuck_out_tongue: not 85kg at 72kg :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need to work your squats to get strong.

BS 130 and Sn 85kg is solid. You could probably edge 87.5-90 with the way you pulled the 85. Have you tried anymore? Got any videos? I don’t learn anything from made lifts. I know how to lift. It’s the fails at the limit that teaches what goes wrong and what needs to be improved.

What sort of squats have you been doing?

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
[/quote]

Sorry. For some reason I kept thinking it was a 72kg Sn at 85kg :stuck_out_tongue: not 85kg at 72kg :stuck_out_tongue:

You just need to work your squats to get strong.

BS 130 and Sn 85kg is solid. You could probably edge 87.5-90 with the way you pulled the 85. Have you tried anymore? Got any videos? I don’t learn anything from made lifts. I know how to lift. It’s the fails at the limit that teaches what goes wrong and what needs to be improved.

Hi Koing I am mostly doing back squat now with 3s and 5s. Last week I worked upto 130kg back. I have tried to focus on front squat but I feel much stronger when I focus on BS

Koing[/quote]

Nice lift!
I can’t snatch more than you, so take that for what it’s worth, however I did learn from a pretty good coach. I agree with what Koing, and others have said your chest/spine is not upright enough before you initiate the 2nd pull. In your video, if you pause at 27 seconds, your chest is almost parallel with your hips, it needs to be higher. Some solid front squats should help teach you to be more upright, if you’re not upright you’ll dump the bar forward :slight_smile:

Solid work so far, keep it up and you’ll get where you want to be!

He he, American weightlifters are no worse than British ones, it isn’t exactly either of their strong points. Other sports absolutely(sprinting, rowing). The Chinese are the current powerhouse. If you want to learn why not learn from the best?[/quote]

The trick isn’t necessarily learning what the Chinese or the Russians or whoever are doing that’s making them successful, it’s finding the principles behind that success and finding a way to apply them in your own country. Find a way to get kids learning and practicing weightlifting by the thousands (hundreds, even) in north america and maybe in 15 years we’ll suck a little less on the international stage. I always shake my head when people talk about making huge improvements in international performance during one olympic cycle because in weightlifting that just isn’t going to happen.

just for balance, don’t be put off by what you can or can’t squat. yes, there is a correlation but there is a spectrum/range and elite lifters are at both ends of it eg pisarenko clean and jerked 260 but struggled to front squat it whereas I know a lifter who regularly front squatted 250 but could only(!) clean and jerk 210.