81st Oscars

Wolvie did a pretty damn good job, he’s got a strong voice as well, I know he hosted the Tony awards a couple times but believe it or not I missed those.

Slumdog cleaned up, as it looked like it was going to from the award shows leading up to this.

Ledger won, I was a little let down with his family’s speech, guess I expected something more grand, but after a year of giving speeches about Heath im betting they were a little drained.

Kate Winslett finally won after like 6-7 nominations.

I continue to fall more in love with Anne Hathaway.

The short film that Seth Rogen and James Franco did was pretty damn funny, I liked that made a few jokes about Franco’s role in Milk.

Sean Penn is a cool dude.

Meryl Streep has been nominated for 15 Academy Awards ? I can name 3 things she has done that I liked.

They had Will Smith give out 4 technical awards in a row, 3 of them to Slumbdog millionaire, who didnt show up for rehearsal ? Was Chris Brown supposed to present or something ?

Steve Martin, funny, Tina Fey, funnier…

Beyonce lip synced on the Oscars, but the 2 kids from High School Musical and Hugh Jackman could sing and dance live ? WTF ?

When I see Ron Howard in the crowd, I start thinking about Arrested Development, and then I get sad, but then I think about how we might just get an Arrested Development movie, and i get excited.

just Maybe…

Really liked how they had the big groups of past winners come out and say something about the nominees, although sometimes it didnt work out so well, like when Alan Arkin gave a lovely little speech about Seymore Phillip Hoffman, and PHILLIP Seymore Hoffman scoffs right into the camera.

It was weird that John Legend sang the song from Wall-E that Peter Gabriel was nominated for, apparently he didnt like the idea of singing a mash up version of his song, and said that if he didnt get to sing it in its entirity, then he was more then happy to enjoy the show from his seat.

Ill come back if anything else comes to mind.

Why I don’t watch the Academy Awards = People call them the Oscars.

And for fucks’ sake, Iron Man should have won best post-production sound instead of the Dark damn Knight.

Jerry Lewis. Comic genius. Lifetime Achievement Award. Finally.

I am so disappointed that Rourke didn’t get one. That was the best role he’s ever played. The performance brought tears to my eyes, and that’s unusual for me when watching a movie. Randy the Ram was just too real for words.

I haven’t seen Milk, so I’m not going to say that Penn didn’t deserve it, but it should have been the performance of the century if it really trumped Rourke’s

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

X2

I was surprised Langella didn’t win. It was a brillian performance.

It was a good show.

Stiller showing up as J. Phoenix was pretty funny, the Pineapple Express montage was clever too.

As for Best Actor, I’m really glad that Brad Pitt didn’t win for Buttons. He had no range of emotions at all, not even sure why he got nominated. Maybe for developing a half assed Louisiana accent? Who knows.

It would have been great if Rourke would have won. I thought he did an awesome job as Randy the Ram.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Meryl Streep has been nominated for 15 Academy Awards ? I can name 3 things she has done that I liked.
[/quote]

That’s three more things than me. When it comes to disliking a body of work, no other actress comes close. My aversion to her began with “Out of Africa” and only grew. “Oh, look at me, I’m acting. I’m an actress. I do ack-sents really really well”. Ick.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button was the most boring movie I’ve seen since…well…maybe ever. And I actually have nothing against Brad Pitt. I like a lot of his movies. He’s a fun enough actor to watch. Aside from getting covered with make-up for half the movie, he just didn’t DO anything. I thought it was a weak role.

The slam dunk, stone-cold-lead-pipe LOCK of the year was Sean Penn winning best actor for MILK.

a Bush-hating liberal

portraying a

gay guy (that get’s murdered)

Never saw that coming. At least Penn finally learned that you ‘never go full-retard’).

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
The slam dunk, stone-cold-lead-pipe LOCK of the year was Sean Penn winning best actor for MILK.

a Bush-hating liberal

portraying a

Never saw that coming. At least Penn finally learned that you ‘never go full-retard’).

[/quote]

THAT’S who should have won Best Supporting Actor…

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
ProwlCat wrote:

a Bush-hating liberal

portraying a

THAT’S who should have won Best Supporting Actor…[/quote]

Agreed! That was the funniest single performance since Jeff Bridges in Big Lebowski. One of those performances you re-watch and it gets funnier. But…would they give an Oscar for a performance that makes FUN of Oscar winning actors? Yeah, right.

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
BradTGIF wrote:
ProwlCat wrote:

a Bush-hating liberal

portraying a

THAT’S who should have won Best Supporting Actor…

Agreed! That was the funniest single performance since Jeff Bridges in Big Lebowski. One of those performances you re-watch and it gets funnier. But…would they give an Oscar for a performance that makes FUN of Oscar winning actors? Yeah, right.[/quote]

Yeah but it would have completed the weird circle of art imitating life imitating art and then thinking too highly of itself but still rewarding itself for it’s dead on imitation. Of itself.

If you know what I mean.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

[/quote]

Cool?

The man is an exceptional actor but he’s also the poster boy for everything that’s wrong with Hollywood.

God forbid he accepts his Oscar without having to spew his liberal bullshit on National TV.

Just thank a few folks, practice some humility, and kindly get the fuck off the stage.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

Cool?

The man is an exceptional actor but he’s also the poster boy for everything that’s wrong with Hollywood.

God forbid he accepts his Oscar without having to spew his liberal bullshit on National TV.

Just thank a few folks, practice some humility, and kindly get the fuck off the stage. [/quote]

I agree. His Jimmy Markham was perfect, and his behind the camera work with “Into The Wild” was good too. But check your agenda at the door dude, you’re being recognized for doing your job, not your activism.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

Cool?

Just thank a few folks, practice some humility, and kindly get the fuck off the stage. [/quote]

I’ve seen footage of this clown going off on people. Shoving people, busting camera, etc. I’ve often wished that I might be placed in a position that would allow me to show Mr. Penn exactly what it feels like to be pushed around by someone bigger, stronger, meaner, and not an actor playing a tough guy.

And let’s not forget his little pre-war trip to Iraq. I thought it was border-line treason…but that’s me.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
Polish Rifle wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

Cool?

Just thank a few folks, practice some humility, and kindly get the fuck off the stage.

I agree. His Jimmy Markham was perfect, and his behind the camera work with “Into The Wild” was good too. But check your agenda at the door dude, you’re being recognized for doing your job, not your activism.[/quote]

I wonder if he ever stops to think: I live in this country that has made me fabulously wealthy for pretending to be retarded, gay, a small-time hood, a drugged-out highschool kid. They give me awards. They applaud me and fete me wherever I go. They make excuses for me when I rough up some weakling. Yet…I HATE this country and take any opporuninity I can to bash it and let my audience know just how shitty we Americans have it.

I like Sean as an Actor, I like the fact that he brought his 12 year old son to hang out with the crew of Jackass for an episode, I like that he’s been banging the Princess Bride for 20 years.

But he’s too liberal, even for me.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

Are you from France or something?

jnd

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
I like Sean as an Actor, I like the fact that he brought his 12 year old son to hang out with the crew of Jackass for an episode, I like that he’s been banging the Princess Bride for 20 years.

But he’s too liberal, even for me.[/quote]

Amen…

I love how he told all of us that don’t agree with homosexual marriage to be ashamed of ourselves and repent lest we shame our grandchildren.

Get fucked Sean.

The only reason he won the Oscar was because politics trumps reason in Hollywood. They’re dead set on jamming homosexuality down our throats; no pun intended.

Frank Langella deserved the award hands down for his role as Richard Nixon in Nixon/Frost.