80lbs Down with Work to Go, but am Curious about BF%

Hi all, I’ve lost about 80lbs over the past year and a half through careful focus on diet and a very basic, general approach to strength training. Sadly I didn’t take any before photos, but I’m at the point where I feel like I can see the light at the end of the fat loss tunnel and can start thinking about how I want to approach building a physique I can be happy with.

I’m hoping to get your estimates on my current body fat percentage. I had it tested a couple of times at my gym, but I think the machine was way off. It said I was 16% which I just think is far too low.

FWIW, I’m 26, 6’0, 191lbs.

1 Like

Fantastic work man!

It’s honestly hard to say dude. Your skin hasn’t receded fully. (provided it even will) but from what I see, your arms and legs look on the lower end of the spectrum.

As many people will tell you here, bf% means very little unless you’re competing, or otherwise dabbing into the lower double to single digits on purpose. Total ball park? 25% or so. Thing is everyone is different. I’m totally comfortable in the low 20% range. Others prefer crazy lows.

Best thing you can do is keep your diet on track, (which you clearly understand) and proceed with nailing out reps in the gym. I know it was a simple question, but you dont want to chase the BMI numbers to a fault. Especially as someone who just lost a lot of weight. If you’re interested in strength training at all, it’ll be very counter productive.

1 Like

Excellent work. To be honest, I don’t think body fat percentage is important to know. But if you MUST know, I’d recommend a bio impedence scale, but just know they’re not accurate. They can help with tracking a rough estimate though.

very nice work

Have no idea about bf%s but you have done a great job! Congratulations!