T Nation

80lb Dumbell Shoulder Pressing

i did 80lb seated dumbell shoulder presses today, 3 sets of 9. it that something to be happy about? or it that a norm around the tnation community? also, do i just continue to keep moving up the weight? i know the shoulders are an easy part of the body to injure, and i would like to have that not happen.

i do them with very good form, no spots, and i definatly feel that i could move up to higher weights.

20yrs old
189lbs
5’10
12(?)% bf

its a good shoulder press…i am 5’7 180lbs and can do 100lb dumbbells for sets of 3-4 reps…80lbs is great though! id definitely say its above average, and id say that most people are afriad to go heavy with DB shoulder preses…shoulder presses are a bitch!

but i love them, and it seems like you like them too, thats great, keep up the hard work bro and your strength will continue to increase

I’d say it’s pretty respectable taking into account your size relative to the weights. I can barbell military about 185, but can only press the 80’s for 4 or 5.

The weight’s fine, and yes, just keep moving up in weight.

Keep pressing as long as you’re not hurting.

My personal best was i think 70 or 75s for about 6, my one buddy is simialr size to me (6’1", 190-200 pounds) has pressed 80’s or more for 6-8 i think. But yes, 80s is pretty decent in my experince.

80s pretty good. It would even be better if you could do that standing on your feet.

It’s not bad at all. Definately above average around here I’d say, but the forum’s been over run by 100lb guys who bench 400 recently tho so i dunno… :wink:

It’s a respectable weight and would probably turn heads in a commercial gym but I doubt any powerlifters or strength athletes would be “impressed” by it. That said, you don’t see powerlifters giving out rim-jobs very often so don’t expect to be all over you saying “nice work man, you so strong!!!”.

[quote]coffee wrote:
80s pretty good. It would even be better if you could do that standing on your feet.[/quote]

is that a seriouse statement? i can’t even imagine how i’d get them up to the start position in the first place

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
coffee wrote:
80s pretty good. It would even be better if you could do that standing on your feet.

is that a seriouse statement? i can’t even imagine how i’d get them up to the start position in the first place
[/quote]

It would work your abdominals and lower back a lot more if you’d stand up when you do them.

That said, I think it’s better if you sit down on a bench and let your targeted muscles do the work rather than using lighter weight just so your abs get some work in. That’s what targeted ab work is for.

If you’re working shoulders, then do whatever allows you to safely lift the most weight for your shoulders. You can work your abs later.

I’d say it’s pretty good.

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
coffee wrote:

[/quote]

Clean that SOB and press away

True it will work the core etc but the press itself will be harder seat Its not a bad load at all keep it up

Phill

Solid. I favor the military press though.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
Liquid447 wrote:
coffee wrote:

It would work your abdominals and lower back a lot more if you’d stand up when you do them.

That said, I think it’s better if you sit down on a bench and let your targeted muscles do the work rather than using lighter weight just so your abs get some work in. That’s what targeted ab work is for.

If you’re working shoulders, then do whatever allows you to safely lift the most weight for your shoulders. You can work your abs later. [/quote]

Hahaha I was just about to say, wtf is the point in having to use lighter weights on shoulder presses so your core can get a workout too?

Like I know if I want to make something stronger I try and make the movement one where I can use the most amount of weight for that specific bodypart.

And if I want to do ab work, than I do ab work. Trying to combine the 2 just results in sub-par resultsfor both.

Nice work.

The most i did was 77lbs pre shoulder injury. I’m doing 44lbs for a max theses days. 8 - 10 reps. I’m about 185lbs. I hesitate to go heavy, but I’ll creep it up slowly.

Oh, and always standing for me.

Hmm, I can do the same amount standing as sitting. Plus a standing press puts less strain on your spine and is better because:

1. you’re in a natural spinal position. (seated puts the strain on your low back)

2. You get the extra stabilization work.

3. Push press for overloading.

Hell, try 1 arm dumbell push press and see how your shoulders, back and abs feel.

If your direct ab work was working then you might be able to stand and press them already.

I agree with most posts though. If its bodybuilding you want and you need bigger shoulders, then as you were. But if its strength for athletics then stand up.

Would anybody disagree?

[quote]coffee wrote:
If your direct ab work was working then you might be able to stand and press them already.

I agree with most posts though. If its bodybuilding you want and you need bigger shoulders, then as you were. But if its strength for athletics then stand up.

Would anybody disagree?[/quote]

Yeah kind of.

1. Best way to be able to stand and do military press is to stand and do them, even starting with a lighter weight if you had to. He said he didn’t know how to get them up to start position so problem is not really ab strength just cleaning the weight up. Or he can just do a barbell and put the weight on a rack and do em.

2. If he can do 80lbs sitting db press, your saying if he plays a sport he will be weaker then somebody doing 65lb db press?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
coffee wrote:

Would anybody disagree?

Yeah kind of.

1. Best way to be able to stand and do military press is to stand and do them, even starting with a lighter weight if you had to. He said he didn’t know how to get them up to start position so problem is not really ab strength just cleaning the weight up. Or he can just do a barbell and put the weight on a rack and do em.

2. If he can do 80lbs sitting db press, your saying if he plays a sport he will be weaker then somebody doing 65lb db press?
    [/quote]

Maybe not weaker, but if he ever has to do some sort of a strong push while standing on his feet he might crumble instead of staying tight throughout his body.

Maybe while pushing in football or in strongman in a car flip you have to push to make sure the car goes completely over. (dont know why this example sticks out in my head)

I dont care if he can press the 150s seated. It means almost nothing if he has to press something standing. In sports you stand.

You know im gonna say it. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

If he’s already doing stuff like squats, deadlifts, cleans, barbell rows, etc. hard and heavy, then would it really matter if he sits when he presses?

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
coffee wrote:

[/quote]

Like someone already said, clean them and then press. It might take you a little while to get used to the motion of cleaning two heavier dumbbells, but it’s not bad. I’m almost the exact same size as you, and I can’t get as many reps as you with 80s–more like 4-5 reps–but I can clean them well enough to start.