80kg Snatch Attempt and Losing Weight!

Hi there!

tried narrower grip and higher hips! seem like working for me.
I have another question I am 159lbs now. I wanna compete as 69 ( ie 152lbs). I have 3kgs to loose roughly! is taht possible in 2 and half a week’s time

Yeah. You could do a water cut. Lose up to 10lbs in 2 weeks.

I dont know about the weight loss, but damn you are really flexible. The first snatch looked great!

I dont know about the weight loss, but damn you are really flexible. The first snatch looked great!

Jonty and Koing I am aware that you have participated in many comps! do you guys have any suggestions?

[quote]dnd611 wrote:
Jonty and Koing I am aware that you have participated in many comps! do you guys have any suggestions?[/quote]

At least 58 comps in 14.5yrs haha.

Sn looked good. Higher hips is fine. You need crazy strong quads and freak Chinese proportions to get away with low hips IMO. Your first 80 looked good. Don’t f0ck around with shuffling the weights for the 2nd rep. Just get in and do it again. It’s not really a double if you take too long to get back in.

Tips
-get an accurate morning post poo weigh in of yourself on accurate scales naked. YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU WEIGH IN THE MORNING ON ACCURATE SCALES. Weighing yourself in the afternoon with clothes, water, food is useless
-I’d start to tidy up your diet, so no junk food, no sweets, no fizzy drinks etc
-I personally never water manipulated but people like to use that. I’d google that.
-I’d cut 1-1.5kg in the sauna and just suffer. Not idea but thats what I use to do.
-You can try an epsom salt bath as well. I’ve had friends that have used this method and lose water weight as well.
-eating a light lunch and dinner the day before will help you drop a decent amount of weight as well.
-do not drink anything pre comp weigh in.
-make sure you hydrate right after you weigh in. Don’t go crazy with pounding it down, just drunk a fair amount and then sip it. Make sure you get your salts in so an electrolyte drink is more ideal.

Koing

If you have a 24 hour weigh in, just going into keto induction will cut off out your glycogen stores and a lot of water weight. Carb up after you weigh in and you should be able to hit within 95% of what you normally do or more.

You jumped forward a touch on that first snatch, and if you’re pitching it forward like that it’s possible that missing the second rep behind you was due to the bar trajectory looping a little too much, though from this angle I couldn’t really tell.

[quote]Koing wrote:
At least 58 comps in 14.5yrs haha.[/quote]
Holy shit. I think I’ve got 16 in 5 years?

[quote]Koing wrote:
Sn looked good. Higher hips is fine. You need crazy strong quads and freak Chinese proportions to get away with low hips IMO. Your first 80 looked good. Don’t f0ck around with shuffling the weights for the 2nd rep. Just get in and do it again. It’s not really a double if you take too long to get back in.[/quote]
I always reset the weights and reset myself when doing doubles or triples, though I try not to take too long doing it. If you’re using collars (and sometimes, straps) you can nearly eliminate that time between reps but it takes me just a few seconds longer to gear up for each rep. That makes it more of a cluster set, but I’m fine with that. Different strokes.

[quote]Koing wrote:
Tips
-get an accurate morning post poo weigh in of yourself on accurate scales naked. YOU NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOU WEIGH IN THE MORNING ON ACCURATE SCALES. Weighing yourself in the afternoon with clothes, water, food is useless[/quote]
For most people, I’d agree with this. I don’t have a quality scale at home and always weigh myself at the same time (immediately post workout, shoes off), so while it’s not ideal, I’ve been doing it long enough I have a decent idea of how my bodyweight will fluctuate and what that number means to me.

[quote]Koing wrote:
-I’d start to tidy up your diet, so no junk food, no sweets, no fizzy drinks etc[/quote]
This is huge. Hopefully you can stick to a decent diet for just over two weeks. You also want to diet down as much of the weight as possible.

[quote]Koing wrote:
-I personally never water manipulated but people like to use that. I’d google that.
-I’d cut 1-1.5kg in the sauna and just suffer. Not idea but thats what I use to do.
-You can try an epsom salt bath as well. I’ve had friends that have used this method and lose water weight as well.[/quote]
If you have to drop water weight I would recommend doing it via water manipulation (have to google it, I’ve never gotten too specific with it myself) as I’ve found in the past sweating off that last bit of weight left me feeling drained and not performing well. Also on that note, I would try to avoid losing more weight in water than you can replenish in the two hours between weigh-in and competition. I can’t remember the numbers but dehydration has been shown to have a significantly deleterious effect on strength, and you obviously don’t want that if you can avoid it.

[quote]Koing wrote:
-eating a light lunch and dinner the day before will help you drop a decent amount of weight as well.
-do not drink anything pre comp weigh in.
-make sure you hydrate right after you weigh in. Don’t go crazy with pounding it down, just drunk a fair amount and then sip it. Make sure you get your salts in so an electrolyte drink is more ideal.
[/quote]
This is all solid advice, only thing I would add is that you should try and eat something after weigh-in as well. Ideally something that’s not too heavy and something you’re relatively familiar with and that you know your body will handle well. As an example, at my last competition, after weigh-in I had a couple of protein bars and a couple liters of powerade. Glenn Pendlay I think has an article somewhere about cutting weight for weightlifting and advocates a ham and cheese sandwich post-weighin, which is something his lifters were familiar with.

Final note, yes 3kg should be very doable in two weeks. If you do it properly you shouldn’t suffer any loss in performance. Hell, I once went from 112.5 to 104.0 in 10 days, though I did bomb out, couldn’t stick a heavy jerk to save my life, so maybe that isn’t such a good example.

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
If you have a 24 hour weigh in, just going into keto induction will cut off out your glycogen stores and a lot of water weight. Carb up after you weigh in and you should be able to hit within 95% of what you normally do or more. [/quote]
The weigh-in for IWF affiliated weightlifting meets is always two hours before the start of the session.

I’ve used low tech water manipulation a few times recently. Lots of good articles online but keep it simple, I basically get used to drinking an amount of water then 4 days pre-meet drink maybe 40% more for the days leading up to the meet. I stop drinking water about 14 hours pre weigh in and just sip a bit when I need some. I’ve dropped around 1.5-2kg both times with minimal fuss and not feeling uncomfortable. Best advice to go with this is do the reading, make a plan and if you have time try it in advance, your body will react differently so be careful - any dehydration is dangerous!