80kg Military Press Good?

Topic as above.

I am 90-91kg and I can MP 70kg(155lb) for 5 reps or 80kg(176lb) for a single.

Is this considered good?

Wow,according to that chart,I am considered slightly beyond the “Advanced” stage…on the other hand,my max BP is barely 2 plates…

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Wow,according to that chart,I am considered slightly beyond the “Advanced” stage…on the other hand,my max BP is barely 2 plates…[/quote]

Then your chest/lats/tris are very weak… sort that out :stuck_out_tongue:

I can strict press about 10kg more than you but I can bench 140… There’s definately some deficiny there!!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Doenitz79 wrote:
Wow,according to that chart,I am considered slightly beyond the “Advanced” stage…on the other hand,my max BP is barely 2 plates…

I can strict press about 10kg more than you but I can bench 140… There’s definately some deficiny there!![/quote]

How would you define weak lats? I can do a max of 30kg on the weighted pullup for an absolute weight of slightly over 120kg…

I think my chest is the weak link in my BP.

Your chest IS the weak link in your BP. But congrats on your interest in pressing, a lot of guys spend their life just on the bench.
BTW, that chart was cool, never seen one like it. I don’t know how recent it is, but I think the clean/bench ratio is out of whack, too close, especially for advanced/elite. Benches should far exceed cleans, and I love cleans.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Topic as above.

I am 90-91kg and I can MP 70kg(155lb) for 5 reps or 80kg(176lb) for a single.

Is this considered good?

[/quote]

how much leg are you using? When you do it your legs should stay straight.

If you are a natural lifter, I personally think that you have an impressive military press. I weigh about 186 or so now and can only get 155 for a single on a good day. It also took me quite a while to get to this level.

I hardly ever see people training these in a commercial gym anymore. If they do, they are usually a seated version of them where they are arched in such a manner that they are digging their backs into the upper part of the chair using dumbells. To me this is easier than standing and doing them by themselves.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
If you are a natural lifter, I personally think that you have an impressive military press. I weigh about 186 or so now and can only get 155 for a single on a good day. It also took me quite a while to get to this level.

I hardly ever see people training these in a commercial gym anymore. If they do, they are usually a seated version of them where they are arched in such a manner that they are digging their backs into the upper part of the chair using dumbells. To me this is easier than standing and doing them by themselves.[/quote]

I just did 72,5 kilos in a strict military press… it was the day after I had done some heavy DB Incline Benching (40 kilos, 4 reps), so my triceps and shoulders was still weak and sore. On a good day, where I’m rested, I probably have 80-85 kilos in me.
I am natural, 16, and have trained for 1 year.

Is it better than when you started? If so, then it’s good. You need to stop worrying about what everyone else is lifting (unless perhaps you’re looking to get into powerlifting or olympic lifting) and just focus on getting stronger.

I’d personally say that at your size and with only 1 year of training under your belt that a 176 lb strict military press is quite good. But, don’t stop there.

You seem to be either looking for people to stroke your ego, or some way of comparing yourself to others. Don’t do those things. Your battle isn’t with other people, it’s with yourself.

Keep progressing and beating YOUR previous lifts and you will keep progressing. Continue worrying about what others think about your lifts and how you stack up to an arbitrary chart of numbers and you’ll make it a lot harder on yourself.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work.

Sentoguy

lets see video to critique form if you want to try and brag about the press. When someone says is blah blah good they are usually looking to brag so put up video.

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Doenitz79 wrote:

I can strict press about 10kg more than you but I can bench 140… There’s definately some deficiny there!!

How would you define weak lats? I can do a max of 30kg on the weighted pullup for an absolute weight of slightly over 120kg…

I think my chest is the weak link in my BP.

[/quote]

Not so much “weak” but, could be stronger!! I know when I started working my back hard my bench jumped up too.

SOMETHING is weak if your bench is only 100 ish kg but you can press 80. Find what it is and you’re golden!