T Nation

800lb Squat Crushes PLer

This is like watching Scarred on MTV!

http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/1680

oh snap!

[quote]1krazykop wrote:
oh snap![/quote]

Literally…

That happened at Iron Sport outside of Philly a few months back. Steve, the owner, couldn’t wait to show me the vid.

A good example of why one should utilize a squat rack with the pins set correctly…

oh man i cant look at stuff like that you shoulda warned me

Where in the hell have you been Marmadog?

I thought you died.

lol one massive turnoff to squating

yes I posted it a few months back, last I heard he was in good spirits and recovering well

Its the crazy chances we all take

Phill

Note to self, never walk out 800lbs. Thanks for posting this, I have a meet in 5 weeks. I shouldn’t have watched that. Holy Shit!

What a horseshit thing to post.

800# Squat Attempt Crushes Powerlifter.

How about powerlifter walks out a weight and gets injured.

Fuck. This is a guy who had something happen we all keep out of our mind (PL’s) and some fucking douche bag posts it here for sport.

Why do you think push pulls (WABDL) are such a big deal. Fuckers are too scared to squat.

Too many pussies on this site who never put it on the line who want to criticize.

Fuck all you guys.

[quote]Phill wrote:
yes I posted it a few months back, last I heard he was in good spirits and recovering well

Its the crazy chances we all take

Phill[/quote]
Does he still lift?

[quote]Sliver wrote:
Phill wrote:
yes I posted it a few months back, last I heard he was in good spirits and recovering well

Its the crazy chances we all take

Phill
Does he still lift?
[/quote]

I dont think he’s recovered yet but my impression was he was looking to come back from it

Phill

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
A good example of why one should utilize a squat rack with the pins set correctly…[/quote]

I agree.

I’m the only one in our gym squatting with the safety pins up.

There’s no heroism in being stupid.

[quote]Wreckless wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
A good example of why one should utilize a squat rack with the pins set correctly…

I agree.

I’m the only one in our gym squatting with the safety pins up.

There’s no heroism in being stupid.[/quote]

How in the name of all things good was that “stupid”. The only stupid thing I see here is the comments from people who seem to be saying that having safety pins set in a powerrack would somehow have stopped his knee from snappping as he walked the weight out.

Look where his knes buckles. He’s MILES above parrallel (ie where the pins would be set to), so they would have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to prevent the injury.

NOTHING.

Can the pins on a squat rack support a weight like that crashing down? Depending on the make, it might have just broken right through.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
Can the pins on a squat rack support a weight like that crashing down? Depending on the make, it might have just broken right through.[/quote]

It should hold if the rack is above bargain basement.

Gotta agree here.

Now I know Phill posted this a while back and I did not see his post, but knowing Phill, he is not one of the pussies you describe.

I am not even going to watch the video. To all of you with the bs replies, you obviously have no clue what the iron game is about.

A

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
What a horseshit thing to post.

800# Squat Attempt Crushes Powerlifter.

How about powerlifter walks out a weight and gets injured.

Fuck. This is a guy who had something happen we all keep out of our mind (PL’s) and some fucking douche bag posts it here for sport.

Why do you think push pulls (WABDL) are such a big deal. Fuckers are too scared to squat.

Too many pussies on this site who never put it on the line who want to criticize.

Fuck all you guys. [/quote]

How about everyone stops there bitching and starts discussing what could have been done to prevent this. You know, be constructive.
Did he lack calf development to stabalize the weight?

Where his joints simply not strong enough?
perhaps if he had worn higher top shoes there would have been more ankle support?
Whaddaya all think?

shit happens