T Nation

80% 1RM Test for the Powerlifts, Your Numbers?

How many reps do you guys get in squat , deadlift , bench press? Mine are quite low despite not being very strong. around 4-5 reps . If I can get 5 reps, I can usually add 20% and that would be my max . (obviously I wouldn’t already know the max).

When i bench 400 i could get 3 reps with 365, while my freind could bench 365 x 5 before he did 400.

On 80% max i could get around 7 reps, alot of guys make this mistake, when working percentages to figure power cycle they figure their 1rmhigher in an attempt to increase lift faster , has opposite effects missing lifts detrimental to lifting cycle.

Also the shorter range of motion the more reps with 80%.

Example take two guys who can pull 500 80%of which is 400.

One is sumo one is conventional puller the coventional puller will get 5to7 reps with 400, the sumo will get 8 to 10 reps with 400.
The sumo pull is generally a shorter range of motion and less time under weight per rep.

Bench and squat about 7, on deadlift like the guy above posted I could hit at least 10. Pulled like 660 and hit 585 almost 89% for 8

Based on where I currently am:

Squat 15 or so (500 lbs max in sleeves, 407 for 15 in sleeves)
Bench five or six (302 lbs best, 242 for five or six)
DL six, maybe seven (600 lbs max, 484 for six)

A big range here is expected, it depends on the experience level of the lifter, the lift, how you usually train. For example a longtime lifter who rarely maxes might have a higher number of reps than a new person who is constantly maxing out. And DL or bench might be different even though the same person trains them in similar ranges.

Squat- 7 reps

Bench- 7 reps

Deadlift- 5 reps

Max rep calculators are almost always perfect for squat and bench, but a little off for my dead.

Thankf for the replies Apparenlty it is desirable to have less reps . While I can see this for pure speed events, I think a powerlifter will do better having slightly higher reps 7-8 as it easier to get more reps in at a higher weight. Any opinions? I could be talking rubbish , as I don’t really know the science behind it.

It’s not really desirable to get more or less reps with 80%, it just is what it is. Being able to do more reps can indicate that you have more slow twitch muscle fibres and vice versa, but it doesn’t really make a big difference for powerlifting because we are not concerned with how fast we lift max attempts as long as we make the lift. According to one of Greg Nuckols’ articles, slow twitch muscle fibres can produce almost the same amount of force as fast twitch fibres. Also, if you train with lots of high reps you will get better at doing high reps, I have been doing lots of low reps lately but previously when I did a hypertrophy block I was doing about 6-8 with 80%.

Chris that’s what I mean a block of 6-8 with 80% . I can maybe 4 or 5 for an all out set . It makes it more difficult to program as a lot of programs are simply impossible for me to do as laid out (I know just drop it back 10-5%) but still . I remember someone mentioning Smolov calling for 3 reps at 90%.

I am guessing a lot of powerlifters and other athletes(throwers , jumpers , sprinters) have the same sort of programming issues . It makes it difficult for me to do a programm as laid out.

The problem with Smolov isn’t 90%x3, the problem is that you are supposed to repeat that for something like 8 or 10 sets. 90%x3 is pretty much a 3rm for me. Some programs have a built in rate of progression that isn’t realistic for the vast majority of people. Personally, I wouldn’t do any pre-written program, not just because I might be expected to do more reps than possible but also because everyone’s work capacity and recovery ability a different.

Look into basic linear progression, as well as autoregulated training. RTS is an example of a fairly successful method of autoregulation, although I don’t really agree with certain aspects. For example, Mike Tuchscherer had people doing ridiculous amounts of volume, people were burning out and a lot of his best lifters have tons of injuries. Just the other day he made a Facebook post saying that sometimes you can get more progress by actually doing less work. It took him that long to figure it out? Anyway, nobody has all the answers, you can either hire a competent coach and put your faith in him - if they have gotten results for others then they can probably do something for you - or you can learn about different training methods, experiment with various things, and figure out what works for you in both the short and long term.