8 Year Old Gun Casualty

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=1008431

I walked by the memorial to this young boy yesterday. Unbelievable.

That’s really sad. Sounds like the mother in the case needs to be held accountable for allowing the kids to have access to the weapon. Or we should make that damn evil gun even more illegal than it already was, whatever works.

The gun was illegal, which they stated numerous times in the article. Perhaps it should have been double illegal.

This was clearly a case of bad parenting but I am sure the anti-gunners will try to use it to their advantage.

Tragic.

Mark one more for Darwin.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Mark one more for Darwin.[/quote]

Not unless the mother was shot!

Accidents happen, so what?

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
That’s really sad. Sounds like the mother in the case needs to be held accountable for allowing the kids to have access to the weapon. Or we should make that damn evil gun even more illegal than it already was, whatever works.[/quote]

Or, we could start enforcing the gun laws a bit better, so dumb asses with kids don’t get a hold of illegal weapons.

Or, we could start holding whoever sold her the illegal weapon responsible, so he/she won’t sell another illegal weapon.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
MrRezister wrote:
That’s really sad. Sounds like the mother in the case needs to be held accountable for allowing the kids to have access to the weapon. Or we should make that damn evil gun even more illegal than it already was, whatever works.

Or, we could start enforcing the gun laws a bit better, so dumb asses with kids don’t get a hold of illegal weapons.

Or, we could start holding whoever sold her the illegal weapon responsible, so he/she won’t sell another illegal weapon.[/quote]

Illegal weapon? WTF is that? It’s the owner that was illegal. Massachusetts has some, if not the most, restictive gun ownership laws in the country, and that didn’t stop this family from keeping a gun in the house. It’s the people, not the gun, that’s the problem.

This from the Boston Herald as background on the family. As my mother said, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. A culture of crime:

Nabbed teen linked to gang
By Laurel J. Sweet/ Michele McPhee
Thursday, June 28, 2007 - Updated: 12:36 AM EST

The teen arrested yesterday after he allegedly admitted hiding the 9 mm gun used in the accidental shooting of his 8-year-old half-brother has been linked to a bloodletting Dorchester gang that was blamed for the murder of a little girl gunned down in a city park five years ago, police sources told the Herald last night.
The 15-year-old boy, whom the Herald is not identifying because he is a minor, is an associate of the MIC gang - named for the city streets on which the outfit wreaks havoc, Magnolia, Intervale and Columbia - a deadly crew that is responsible for much of the gun crime terrorizing the neighborhood, several police sources said.

"They are a pack of animals. Heavily into guns. Heavily into violent crime. A lot of the shootings in that area is linked to MIC," a law enforcement source familiar with the gang said last night.

The 15-year-old has been free for two years while waiting to go on trial on an illegal firearm charge.

The teen, who was taken into state Department of Youth Services custody yesterday, had been expected at a Fourth of July family reunion next week in Alabama, where his heartbroken grandmother hoped to persuade him to stay.

He was on DYS "conditional liberty" when his half-brother Liquarry Jefferson, 8, was fatally shot by a 7-year-old cousin Sunday night.

Jennifer Kritz, spokeswoman for the state Department of Health and Human Services, confirmed the teen violated his "conditional liberty," a DYS term for probation.
Kritz declined to elaborate, but said DYS is "evaluating him and investigating his role, if any, in the circumstances surrounding the shooting."
In April 2004, the teen and his aunt, Antonia Gadson, who is the mother of the 7-year-old boy who allegedly shot Liquarry Jefferson, were shot on Columbia Road.
"He is definitely an impact player," a gang source said of the teen.
The MIC crew was allegedly behind the murder of 10-year-old Trina Persad in June 2002. An admitted former MIC gang leader, Marquis "the Little Warrior" Nelson, was charged with the fatal shotgun blast that killed the girl as she played in Goffigan Park. The park was named after Jermaine Goffigan, who was 9 when he was cut down by a stray gang member's bullet in 1994.
Nelson and another reputed MIC gang member were allegedly gunning for rival gang members when Persad was slain in the crossfire. Nelson was acquitted in December 2005.
Two police sources said Liquarry's half-brother has admitted hiding the weapon in a stairwell of the Theroch Apartments, 266 Seaver St., prior to the family initially lying that they and Liquarry were victims of armed home invaders.
"I've been trying to get him out of Boston for a long time," the teen's paternal grandmother, Ernestine McConnico, 54, said yesterday. "(This trip to Alabama) was a chance for us to reconnect. I just hope whatever happens, he gets his life straight. I hope (he) had nothing to do with the gun."
After an already disturbing history of charges that include assault and battery with a knife and receiving stolen goods, the teen was arrested for firearm possession in September 2005. His case continues to linger in Juvenile Court.
The teen's father, Larry McConnico Jr., is currently serving an 11-year federal sentence for pleading guilty in 2002 to being a felon in possession of a firearm, a .380-caliber semiautomatic with an obliterated serial number.
"I told (my son), 'You see what you did with your life? Your son is following in your footsteps.' (My son) was trying to talk some sense into him," McConnico said.
McConnico said her son and the teen's mother, Lakeisha Gadson, were childhood sweethearts who never married. Gadson, 30, is also Liquarry Jefferson's mother.
Larry McConnico made headlines in 1992 when he was just 17 and refused to testify against gangbanger friends on trial for the infamous Halloween 1990 rape and murder of Kimberly Rae Harbour, a 26-year-old woman who was stabbed 132 times in Franklin Field.