8 Second Exercise 4 Fatloss

Local TV has just aired the findings of Sydney researchers who say that exercising rapidly by running or cycling for 8 seconds, followed by 12 seconds of easy running or cycling will burn up to 6 times more fat than normally maintained exercise.

You just repeat for 20 minutes.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/scp_v3/viewer/index.php?pid=16471&rn=248153&cl=1717933&ch=248154

Just for interest.
(If the link works)

Isn’t that basically what HIIT/Interval Training is?

How is this different from the tabata method? And if you can do this for 20mins then you are a beast!

I think 6-8mins should fry nearly anyone.

Tabata

[quote]Sxio wrote:
How is this different from the tabata method? And if you can do this for 20mins then you are a beast!

[/quote]

Tabata = 20 sec work 10 sec rest x 8 cycles.(4 minutes)

8sec = 8 sec work 12 sec rest repeat for 20 minutes

Tabata work/rest ratio = 2/1 and is done to exhaustion.(ie: you should be physically incapable of doing any more)

8sec work/rest ratio = 2/3 (link wouldn’t work for me so I couldn’t see if it was done to exhaustion or not)

There’s no difference if you say they’re both interval training… but they say the devil is in the details …so if you look at the work/rest ratios they are quite different. Tabata is shorter 4 minutes vs 20 minutes so Tabata is more intense.

Pop goes my cherry

Cheers
Spaceman …long time lurker first time poster

[quote]Sxio wrote:

[/quote]

That’s why I posted it. Sydney researchers have JUST discovered it and it’s newsworthy, on every channel.
Perhaps the T-Nation articles should be on TV too.

I’ve occasionally used an interval like this that was inspired by intervals described in Alwyn Cosgrove’s e-book on training for martial arts. Essentially, it’s 5 secs. hard, 10 secs. moderate, alternating for 2 minutes. The next minute is moderate to easy. That’s a round. Do this three times, followed by two minutes moderate to easy, followed by three more rounds. It drives me into the ground, but I feel great afterwards.

I have an 8 second excercise for fat loss at well. Its called the table push. You push yourself away from the table when you start to get fat.