8 Reps with Short Rest for Muscle Gain

thinking of using 8 reps with shorter rest time like 30 sec between sets.

Maybe something like 6x8 with 30 sec rest.

1. 15RM weight, same weight in all 6 sets.
  2. 12RM weight, reverse pyramid training every 2 sets like, first 2 sets (progressive overload), then drop weight by 10%.

Which one should i use?

going to do this routine

Lower = Squat, standing calf raise, SLDL, plank
Upper = bench, rows, incline bench, chinup, dips

try both, keep doing whichever one is better.

Add a row to your upper body day

Reminds me of Vince Gironda’s 8x8. Check it out if you haven’t.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Add a row to your upper body day[/quote]
rows is inside already.

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Reminds me of Vince Gironda’s 8x8. Check it out if you haven’t.[/quote]
Yes, i have checked it. but i don’t have much time to do alot of exercises. doing fasted training in early morning and need to leave for work. so i use simplified lower upper using Gironda’s 8 rep rest-pause.

[quote]t888 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Add a row to your upper body day[/quote]
rows is inside already.[/quote]

oh so it is, my mistake

[quote]t888 wrote:
Yes, i have checked it. but i don’t have much time to do alot of exercises. doing fasted training in early morning and need to leave for work. so i use simplified lower upper using Gironda’s 8 rep rest-pause.[/quote]
If you really don’t have a lot of time to train, I don’t know why you’re including calf raises, planks, and flat and incline bench and dips.

What is your current goal? If it’s “muscle gain”, I don’t think 6x8 with a 12-15RM is going to be efficient. Either bump up the weight or increase the volume to provide a better growth stimulus.

If your goal is fat loss, then “traditional” 8x8 like Gironda has written about could be the way to go. The time issue wouldn’t be a factor because it’s based on minimal rest, a full session (properly designed) wouldn’t take more than 45 minutes tops.

[quote]t888 wrote:

1. 15RM weight, same weight in all 6 sets.
  2. 12RM weight, reverse pyramid training every 2 sets like, first 2 sets (progressive overload), then drop weight by 10%.
    [/quote]

I think you’re going to struggle to gain much weight training with this low a weight consistently

[quote]
going to do this routine

Lower = Squat, standing calf raise, SLDL, plank
Upper = bench, rows, incline bench, chinup, dips[/quote]

There seem to be a few redundant exercises in here for someone short on time.

I tried it for some days. Comparing to my PR, 6x8 has better muscle gain. 82.5kg 6x8 30 sec rest vs 105kg 4x6 3 mins rest

[quote]t888 wrote:
I tried it for some days. Comparing to my PR, 6x8 has better muscle gain. 82.5kg 6x8 30 sec rest vs 105kg 4x6 3 mins rest[/quote]

How are you measuring muscle gain?

Trying it for “some” days is a start, it’s not proof of anything yet.

You might be right, and I’m genuinely interested to hear your results, but we need to know how many days (or preferably weeks/months) and what, specific, progress you made.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]t888 wrote:
I tried it for some days. Comparing to my PR, 6x8 has better muscle gain. 82.5kg 6x8 30 sec rest vs 105kg 4x6 3 mins rest[/quote]

How are you measuring muscle gain?

Trying it for “some” days is a start, it’s not proof of anything yet.

You might be right, and I’m genuinely interested to hear your results, but we need to know how many days (or preferably weeks/months) and what, specific, progress you made.[/quote]
when i train strength, i progress weight and after up 7.5kg - 10kg throughout 2 months, have muscle gain but feel not so tight as i touch chest, arm, etc. when i train 6x8 with 30 sec rest, molesting my body muscle is like abit harder now just after using it few times.

i’ll see how after 2 months.

[quote]
When the training goal is muscular hypertrophy, the combination of moderate-intensity sets with short rest intervals of 30-60 seconds might be most effective due to greater acute levels of growth hormone during such workouts. [/quote]

I dont think 8 reps with shorter rest time is good for me as i have very low stamina… always get tired so fast. Maybe i use strength training 1st set = 5-8 reps for progressive overload then 1-3 reps after every 1 min rest until maybe total 20 reps.

[quote]t888 wrote:
I dont think 8 reps with shorter rest time is good for me as i have very low stamina… always get tired so fast. Maybe i use strength training 1st set = 5-8 reps for progressive overload then 1-3 reps after every 1 min rest until maybe total 20 reps.[/quote]

For as convinced as you seemed before, that was fast to decide it wasn’t for you.

Why not just ramp to a top set of triples, then do singles on the minute for however long? That should keep the intensity lower so as not to burn you out quite as quick.

[quote]t888 wrote:
when i train strength, i progress weight and after up 7.5kg - 10kg throughout 2 months, have muscle gain but feel not so tight as i touch chest, arm, etc. when i train 6x8 with 30 sec rest, molesting my body muscle is like abit harder now just after using it few times.

i’ll see how after 2 months.[/quote]

I like you already.

[quote]t888 wrote:
I dont think 8 reps with shorter rest time is good for me as i have very low stamina… always get tired so fast.[/quote]
Um, that’s half the point of keeping rest periods short. It is harder to recover, so of course you’re going to get tired sooner. If you stick with it, you’ll adapt.

However, I think the most important thing for you is to read less studies and simply stick to one program (a well-designed, pre-written program) for at least a few months. Your questions are pretty much all things that you could figure out on your own after just investing some time into your training.