T Nation

8 Month Slump, Help

Hi,

I have been stuck for the past 8 months with the same weights. I’ve cycled my bodyweight between 168 lbs (feel like a boy’s body) and 180 lbs (I feel fat and eating is nauseating). Gaining and losing weight is easy for me but I think I have too much skinny fat (my man-boobs point out in tight t shirts). I’ve never had a 6 pack or anything close to it. My goal is 300/400/400+ for bench press/squat/deadlift while being belowing 20% BF.

My stats:
27 years old
5’9 and 175 lbs (probably 15% BF, lots of skinny fat)
Bench Press - 200 for 5 reps
Squat - 240 for 5 reps
Deadlift - 305 for 5 reps
Sitting press - 135 for 5 reps

Routine is upper/lower/upper/lower 4 days per week focusing on 4 compound moves, I’ve played around with the sets and reps a few times and have alternated to 3 days a week going through 4 workouts. In general my routine is 4 days per week with this sets/reps scheme:

Upper 1:
Bench press - 4x5 (ramping)
BB rows - 3x8
Side lateral raises - 3x8
BB curls - 3x8
Skull crushers - 3x8

Lower 1:
Squat - 4x5 (ramping)
Leg curls - 3x8
Abs - 3x10

Upper 2:
Sitting shoulder press - 4x5 (ramping)
Pull ups - 3x8
Lying dumbbell flies - 3x8
Dumbell curls - 3x8
Close grip bench press - 3x8

Lower 2:
Deadlift - 4x5 (ramping)
Split squat - 3x8
Abs - 3x10

Couple of things to note: I get drained after the main lift so the rest of my workout may not seem like much. I’ve once took out deadlift day completely and my bench press went up 20 lbs in 4 weeks (sitting press went up 10 lbs). Diet-wise I’m consistently taking in 1g protein per lb of bw. My general food intake is 80% natural stuff and 20% junk food. I’m getting 8 hours of sleep everyday.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can break out of this 8 month slump?

If you’re not willing to keep gaining, go on a cut and lift heavy to maintain your lifts. Then go on a clean bulk and follow a dedicated strength training program. At your level I would recommend Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

Do you keep a log book or journal of your workouts?

Yeah I keep a log. I monitor my squat, bench, sitting shoulder press, deadlifts, BW and BF.

[quote]bond10 wrote:
Hi,

I have been stuck for the past 8 months with the same weights. I’ve once took out deadlift day completely and my bench press went up 20 lbs in 4 weeks (sitting press went up 10 lbs). Diet-wise I’m consistently taking in 1g protein per lb of bw. My general food intake is 80% natural stuff and 20% junk food. I’m getting 8 hours of sleep everyday.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can break out of this 8 month slump?[/quote]
8 months is a long time man. You also mentioned that just by changing up your routine once you made some good gains. My advice would be to take a few weeks (2-3) off, meanwhile still eating well, and then come back to lifting with a plan that’s a little different

I’ve taken 2 weeks off twice during last year. It didn’t help much, I reset so much and change the volume or frequency often I come against the same wall each time. I’ve bulked up and gained strength, then I cut down to a boy’s body while keeping my lifts the same. Started a new bulk and my lifts won’t go up but my weight will. I think I should just buy bigger pants, 36, and just keep bulking. I’m on starting strength now since I think my level is somewhere between novice and intermediate.