8'' Log to 12'' Log

I have an 8" log right now. I can’t afford a 12" log, but I really need to start training with one. Anyone have ideas on how to change my 8" log to a 12" log? I thought I could make an attachment or something out of PVC pipe, or even metal. I’ve got a friend who’s a machinist so if I could get some plans/ideas, I might be able to get him to help me out.

Any ideas are welcome.

[quote]louiek wrote:
I have an 8" log right now. I can’t afford a 12" log, but I really need to start training with one. Anyone have ideas on how to change my 8" log to a 12" log? I thought I could make an attachment or something out of PVC pipe, or even metal. I’ve got a friend who’s a machinist so if I could get some plans/ideas, I might be able to get him to help me out.

Any ideas are welcome.[/quote]

Why do you need a 12" log? They are not that much different… the clean is a bit easier with the larger diameter and the press is slightly more difficult but for most people the difference is not drastic.

If you wanted something simple you could fold up a towel and then wrap it around the center of the log and duct tape it in place. Not the most effective option but would not cost you more than $10 in materials and would give you a larger outside diameter. If you could find something that is flexible and more dense it would be a better option but I do not have any suggestions off of the top of my head.

It’s been awhile since I’ve used a 12" log and I’d like to practice with it to get a better feel for the technique. I’ll most likely rig up something like that.