T Nation

8 Days Before a Meet...

What should I do…or NOT do a week out from a Push/Pull meet.

I would suggest on Monday or Tuesday (whenever you normally bench) that you work up to your last warm-up set on bench or your opener if you want some confidence, take commands to practice them. Then do one or two assistance exercises, same as you always do, warm-up sets only (3 sets of 5-8 works well).

I don’t think it is necessary to do any deads at all. You can do some light squats/legs IF you have been doing them regularly and you feel like they help keep you lose, warm-up sets only.

If you have been benching 1 or 2 times a week, then you are done. Rest until the meet, light walking is okay to stay lose if you wish

If you have been benching 3 times a week then bench light on Wed as well, working up to the heaviest set you hit before your last set on Mon.

Full Rest on Thurs/Fri for sure, including any other physical activity.

Don’t do any new exercises or movements the week before the meet, even if they are light.

Kick ass at the meet. Good luck with it.

Last Monday I did speed bench work with chains. Off Tues. Weds pulled my opener of 465, got my second pull of 490 missed what I plan for my third of 505. Thursday I benched with commands and pause 295, 305 and 315.

[quote]jpparts wrote:
Last Monday I did speed bench work with chains. Off Tues. Weds pulled my opener of 465, got my second pull of 490 missed what I plan for my third of 505. Thursday I benched with commands and pause 295, 305 and 315. [/quote]

This doesn’t help you for this go around, but never miss a pull that close to the meet. Your last heavy pull should be at least two or three weeks out. And, it shouldn’t be anywhere near something you’re at risk of missing.

Meets are for demonstrating your strength, not the gym. After 12 years in the sport, I just reminded myself of this last weekend with a subpar meet performance due to too much strength testing in the gym.

Thanks for the tip burt128. The 490 went up fast. The 505 has been HARD for me. Thinking its more a head thing then a weight thing. But, I will remember that for the next meet.