T Nation

7wks, 10 x 3 For Fat Loss?'s

I’ve been doing CW’s 10x3 FFL for about
7 weeks now. I’m having great progress in both mass building and strength increase. this is the first routine that focuses on heavy compound lifts.I have a couple of questions and a few observations.

Observations:

1. Weight increases on core lifts ( deads, squats, bench) going up at 5% week. very Cool.

2. Body weight is going up and BF % is slightly lowering. Very, Very Cool.

3. Measurements are getting bigger, including waist.

4. This routine definitely triggers massive Test. response in me.

Questions:

1. Has anybody else tried this and had similar results, particularly with the weight and waist gain ?

2. After 7 weeks my body feels worn down, I’m going to take a week off for recovery. Is this a good idea or should I keep grinding it out.

3. I don’t like the waist gain, what can I do to reduce that. My diet is 2000 kcals per day, 40%p 40%c 20%f, STRICT. 6’4" 225 lbs. 42 yrs.

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

[quote]Axel44 wrote:
I’ve been doing CW’s 10x3 FFL for about
7 weeks now. I’m having great progress in both mass building and strength increase. this is the first routine that focuses on heavy compound lifts.I have a couple of questions and a few observations.

Observations:

1. Weight increases on core lifts ( deads, squats, bench) going up at 5% week. very Cool.

2. Body weight is going up and BF % is slightly lowering. Very, Very Cool.

3. Measurements are getting bigger, including waist.

4. This routine definitely triggers massive Test. response in me.

Questions:

1. Has anybody else tried this and had similar results, particularly with the weight and waist gain ?

2. After 7 weeks my body feels worn down, I’m going to take a week off for recovery. Is this a good idea or should I keep grinding it out.

3. I don’t like the waist gain, what can I do to reduce that. My diet is 2000 kcals per day, 40%p 40%c 20%f, STRICT. 6’4" 225 lbs. 42 yrs.

Any insight or help is greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

1. I tend to always use something like 10x3 when dieting since its always been my philosophy to go heavy when dieting. It is very suprising you’re gaining weight on 2000 kCal a day. I weight much less than you (at 5’11) and drop ~2 lbs a week at 2000 kCal a day.

2. If you’re feeling run down, next week, cut the sets for your upper body by 1/2 (leave the weight the same), and do only bodyweight exercises for you’re lower body. This will help with the spinal loading which is why you’re probably feeling run down.

3. As far as the waist gain, if you’re honestly dropping bodyfat I wouldn’t care about the gain in waist size. Just make absolutely sure that you’re not kidding yourself with regard to the body composition changes that are occuring.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

2000kcals a day and gaining? Wow.

I weigh about 140 lbs, and at 2000kcals a day I can’t maintain my weight, I drop down to 130 lbs in 7-10 days.

take a week off to recuperate. and also you should look into revising your nutrition plan. 7 weeks is long for anybody, especially if you havent been an avid lifter before. The size increase of your waist is only your core. You need it for strong lifts so embrace it because you probably needed some of that girth. It will subside in the future but go by how you feel instead of how you look for now.
GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for all of the comments.

As I mentioned, this is an off week
for recuperation. I really wanted to lift today, feel great, ready to go,
tomorrow.

I had a nice chat with a nutritionist friend of mine and she says that I’m probably carb sensitive and to up my intake to 2500 but only 25% Carb. So,
I’m adjusting to 45%Protein, 25% Carb, and 30% Fat. Let’s see what that does.

Wow,

Week off really worked wonders.

Felt really strong and pounded out an awesome workout. Up on weight in all lifts.

Congratulations! I take a week off once in a while to fully recuperate. I never feel like 2-3 days is enough.