711 Lb DL With Broken Ribs

It’s at the end of the vid, but you gotta admire Doug Young’s dedication.

It’s more than dedication. Doug Young is a modern day superman. He’s an inspiration to all of us and he is up there with the rest of the elites such as Bill Kaz and Fred Hatfield.

We should ask ourselves what would Doug Young do next time we whine for bullshit like pulled hammies or tweaked shoulders

Honestly I can’t admire stupidity though. Sure it took balls-yet im sure he was doped up on pain killers also- but this was not a smart thing to do.

He is a great athlete and all, but I would never recommend anyone else doing something like this. The ONLY exception would be like the super bowl maybe yet even then you will prob cause more hurt to your team then success.

Watch part 2

He benches 500 EASY; I mean no effort and all with 3 broken ribs!

Another thing:

He lost 30 pounds in one week to make weight in the 242 class. According to the commentator, he simply didn’t eat for one week, weighed in 30lbs lighter, then here he is on video competing.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Honestly I can’t admire stupidity though. Sure it took balls-yet im sure he was doped up on pain killers also- but this was not a smart thing to do.

He is a great athlete and all, but I would never recommend anyone else doing something like this. The ONLY exception would be like the super bowl maybe yet even then you will prob cause more hurt to your team then success. [/quote]

I would call what he did stupid if he was just setting a PR in a workout. If you’re good enough to make it to a world event like this and are actually in the event, you’re good enough to make the call whether to continue lifing with injuries or not.

[quote]shizen wrote:
Honestly I can’t admire stupidity though. Sure it took balls-yet im sure he was doped up on pain killers also- but this was not a smart thing to do. [/quote]

Maybe that’s what it takes to pull 711.

And maybe that’s why he can do it, but you can’t?

EDIT: I mean maybe it takes the guts to put it all on the line to attain something that is important to you. Think of all the sacrifices he has made to get to the platform on that day. Training time, hurt, pain, time away from family and work, travel exp etc etc… Maybe he thought “fuck it, I’ve put in the work and now I’m gonna go get some”.

Maybe that’s why he was such a great lifter?

[quote]shizen wrote:

He is a great athlete and all, but I would never recommend anyone else doing something like this. The ONLY exception would be like the super bowl maybe yet even then you will prob cause more hurt to your team then success. [/quote]

Huh? what the fuck are you talking about, this was the superbowl! This is a world championship meet, WHICH HE WON! Its not like he’s dicking around in the gym with 3 broken ribs. Do you understand how much time and sacrifice it took him to get to the world championships? a years worth of training and a lifetime of dedication and you think he’s going to pull out of the meet because of broken ribs? Come on dude. This is what competing and winning is all about.

God what a beast.

also funny comment in the part2 video where the announcer says doug cut his beard to help him make weight. that must have been some beard!

[quote]robo1 wrote:
shizen wrote:

He is a great athlete and all, but I would never recommend anyone else doing something like this. The ONLY exception would be like the super bowl maybe yet even then you will prob cause more hurt to your team then success.

Huh? what the fuck are you talking about, this was the superbowl! This is a world championship meet, WHICH HE WON! Its not like he’s dicking around in the gym with 3 broken ribs. Do you understand how much time and sacrifice it took him to get to the world championships? a years worth of training and a lifetime of dedication and you think he’s going to pull out of the meet because of broken ribs? Come on dude. This is what competing and winning is all about.[/quote]

Agreed. I found nothing stupid in Doug Young giving every last bit of blood, sweat, and tears, to winning a world championship…

fucking amazing man… did you hear his growl before that squat? 700lbs with just a belt, narrow stance and he goes SO deep… animal

Ok yeah I understand its an important meet, he took a big risk one that could have ended his career for good. Of course these type of risks are what ‘can’ lead to an elite athlete which he is.

I admire him as an athlete yet this one event was a risk that I would not take and wouldn’t recommend others doing also. The odds something more serious happening are much greater then what he pulled out.

Think of it this way he could have ended his career for good, and never been able to lift again. Would we be praising him for doing what he did if this happened?

[quote]shizen wrote:
Ok yeah I understand its an important meet, he took a big risk one that could have ended his career for good. Of course these type of risks are what ‘can’ lead to an elite athlete which he is.

I admire him as an athlete yet this one event was a risk that I would not take and wouldn’t recommend others doing also. The odds something more serious happening are much greater then what he pulled out.

Think of it this way he could have ended his career for good, and never been able to lift again. Would we be praising him for doing what he did if this happened? [/quote]

Um, yeah. Heck, look at Dorian Yates. People still loved him even though he got his biceps injured doing Yates rows.

Sorry, shizen, you make a lot of good posts and your avatar could turn a boob man into a ass man, but you’re wrong on this one.
The absolute worst that could have happened lifting with broken ribs is puncturing a lung, and that would be a fluke. More likely would be just pulling some tendons and having to rest a couple months.
If I had reached the Olympics and had the same situation, I would have lifted with eight broken ribs and a few other broken parts too. Doc

Fuck ya Doc…
The quest for glory and honor goes beyond pain or suffering. I wrestled for two years with a rotator cuff severed in 3 places to make states. One surgery later and everything better. Pain is temporary… not achieving your dreams can eat at you for a lifetime.

basically just trying to play bit of devils advocate because many people will praise this guy for making the lift. Yet if he failed and hurt himself more would say, why did he do that when he was injured?

Chefbc14,
I gather that was Fuck Yeah, not Fuck You, since we’re both in agreement that you gladly risk much to gain success at our precious sports. Remember, I’m old, not up to speed on current lingo. Doc
Shizen, failure is not giving your all when you’re not at your best for a chance at greatness. Failure is pulling a Bode Miller at the Olympics and running your mouth, drinking and partying, and falling on your ass on the ski slopes over and over, letting down yourself and your country.
The ONLY exception I’d consider on your argument is someone like Uber N3wb trying something like that at 16, since he’s got so many great years ahead of him and his bones haven’t even finished growing.

[quote]shizen wrote:
basically just trying to play bit of devils advocate because many people will praise this guy for making the lift. Yet if he failed and hurt himself more would say, why did he do that when he was injured? [/quote]

Those same people would also say, “Why did Jesse Marunde keep training for strongman when he has a heart disease?”