700 + 100 = 800 Billion Bailout Cost

If the First 700 wasn’t enough.

Increase, from $100,000 to $250,000, the limit on federal bank deposit insurance. The limit would revert to $100,000 at the end of 2009 unless extended by Congress.

Legislation providing business tax breaks for production of and investment in industries promoting clean energy such as solar, wind and biodiesel.

Grant tax relief for victims of natural disasters in the Midwest, such as flooding, tornadoes and other severe weather events.

A one-year fix to the Alternative Minimum Tax that will exempt 20 million Americans from paying higher income taxes. In recent years the AMT has required a “patch” to help more and more middle class taxpayers avoid paying a tax that was never intended to include them. This year the patch is costing $64 billion, for example. Extend until end of 2009 the deduction for state and local general sales taxes.

Extend individual tax breaks, including deductions for higher education costs and teachers’ personal expenses, until 2009.

Extend through 2011 a program that funds rural schools and local governments that have low property-tax bases because they lie within or are adjacent to federal lands.

Require group health plans that include mental health or addiction treatment to provide coverage for those conditions that is equitable to other medical coverage.

The responsible parties:

Akaka, Daniel K. D-Hi. Yes
Alexander, Lamar R-Tenn. Yes
Allard, Wayne R-Colo. No
Barrasso, John R-Wyo. No
Baucus, Max D-Mont. Yes
Bayh, Evan D-Ind. Yes
Bennett, Robert F. R-Utah Yes
Biden, Joseph R., Jr. D-Del. Yes
Bingaman, Jeff D-N.M. Yes
Bond, Christopher S. R-Mo. Yes
Boxer, Barbara D-Calif. Yes
Brown, Sherrod D-Ohio Yes
Brownback, Sam R-Kan. No
Bunning, Jim R-Ken. No
Burr, Richard R-N.C. Yes
Byrd, Robert C. D-W.V. Yes
Cantwell, Maria D-Wash. No
Cardin, Benjamin L. D-Md. Yes
Carper, Thomas R. D-Del. Yes
Casey, Robert P., Jr. D-Pa. Yes
Chambliss, Saxby R-Ga. Yes
Clinton, Hillary Rodham D-N.Y. Yes
Coburn, Tom R-Okla. Yes
Cochran, Thad R-Miss. No
Coleman, Norm R-Minn. Yes
Collins, Susan M. R-Maine Yes
Conrad, Kent D-N.D. Yes
Corker, Bob R-Tenn. Yes
Cornyn, John R-Texas Yes
Craig, Larry E. R-Idaho Yes
Crapo, Mike R-Idaho Yes
DeMint, Jim R-S.C. Yes
Dodd, Christopher J. D-Conn. Yes
Dole, Elizabeth R-N.C. No
Domenici, Pete V. R-N.M. Yes
Dorgan, Byron L. D-N.D. No
Durbin, Richard D-Ill. Yes
Ensign, John R-Nev. Yes
Enzi, Michael B. R-Wyo. No
Feingold, Russell D. D-Wis. No
Feinstein, Dianne D-Calif. Yes
Graham, Lindsey R-S.C. Yes
Grassley, Chuck R-Iowa Yes
Gregg, Judd R-N.H. Yes
Hagel, Chuck R-Neb. Yes
Harkin, Tom D-Iowa Yes
Hatch, Orrin G. R-Utah Yes
Hutchison, Kay Bailey R-Texas Yes
Inhofe, James M. R-Okla. No
Inouye, Daniel K. D-Hi. Yes
Isakson, Johnny R-Ga. Yes
Johnson, Tim D-S.D. No
Kennedy, Edward M. D-Mass. NA
Kerry, John F. D-Mass. Yes
Klobuchar, Amy D-Minn. Yes
Kohl, Herb D-Wis. Yes
Kyl, Jon R-Ariz. Yes
Landrieu, Mary L. D-La. No
Lautenberg, Frank R. D-N.J. Yes
Leahy, Patrick J. D-Vt. Yes
Levin, Carl D-Minn. Yes
Lieberman, Joseph I-Conn. Yes
Lincoln, Blanche L. D-Ark. Yes
Lugar, Richard G. R-Ind. Yes
Martinez, Mel R-Fla. Yes
McCain, John R - Ariz. Yes
McCaskill, Claire D - Mo. Yes
McConnell, Mitch R - Ky. Yes
Menendez, Robert D - NJ Yes
Mikulski, Barbara A. D - Md. Yes
Murkowski, Lisa R - Alas. Yes
Murray, Patty D - Wash. Yes
Nelson, Bill D - Fla.L No
Nelson, E. Benjamin D - Neb. Yes
Obama, Barack D - Ill. Yes
Pryor, Mark L. D - Ark Yes
Reed, Jack D - RI Yes
Reid, Harry D - Nev. Yes
Roberts, Pat R - Kan. No
Rockefeller, John D., IV D - WV Yes
Salazar, Ken D - Colo. Yes
Sanders, Bernard I - Vt. No
Schumer, Charles E. D - NY Yes
Sessions, Jeff R - Ala. No
Shelby, Richard C. R - Ala. No
Smith, Gordon H. R - Ore. Yes
Snowe, Olympia J. R - Maine Yes
Specter, Arlen R - Penn. Yes
Stabenow, Debbie D - Mich. No
Stevens, Ted R - Ak. Yes
Sununu, John E. R - NH Yes
Tester, Jon D - Mont. No
Thune, John R - SD Yes
Vitter, David R - La. No
Voinovich, George V. R - Ohio Yes
Warner, John R - Va. Yes
Webb, Jim D - Va. Yes
Whitehouse, Sheldon D - RI Yes
Wicker, Roger F. R - Miss. No
Wyden, Ron D - Ore No

Shit, I just scoured the internet trying to find out how one of my Senator’s voted. I should have just come here. Thanks.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
Shit, I just scoured the internet trying to find out how one of my Senator’s voted. I should have just come here. Thanks.[/quote]

In the future, just you can go to senate.gov . Be aware of what your elected officials are doing.

Yeah thanks, I tried that initially but it wasn’t updated with the bailout bill. I understand that site (and house.gov) have been getting killed as of late (understandable so).

Both my Senators sold us out. I will be voting for someone besides them this November.

I will also not be voting for McCain, or Obama.

I urge everyone whose Senator just ass raped you to do vote against them if they are running for another term this November.

Got a no from both Michigan senators.

And Russ Feingold continues reassure me that I’ve voted correctly.

From NBC’s Carrie Dann
By a vote of 74-25, the Senate has approved its version of the financial recovery package that was voted down by the U.S. House on Monday. Senators Biden, McCain, and Obama, as promised, returned to the Hill to vote “aye” on the measure.

On Monday afternoon, when the bailout package failed in the House, a quick glance at the roll call vote offered a fairly accurate cheat sheet to indicate the closeness of a few 2008 House races. All but eight of 38 members in tight reelection contests voted against the largely unpopular bill.

But after a record plummet of the Dow Jones on Monday and new revisions to the bill, the Senate proved to be characteristically more measured.

Of the twenty-five lawmakers voting “no,” ten are up for reelection. But of the eight sitting senators in tough races, just three voted against the bailout.

North Carolina Senator Elizabeth Dole, whose reelection race has slowly drifted from the “Likely Republican” column to a blue-leaning Toss Up, was among those voting “nay.”

“While it may be easier for some in Congress to quickly pass a bill, pat themselves on the back and say they’ve done their part to stabilize the markets, then pack up and head home - I say we must take the time to get this right,” wrote Dole in a statement. “Now is the time for careful, deliberate actions - not hasty, knee-jerk reactions. I will stand up for the taxpayers and vote no.”

(Dole’s opponent, Democrat Kay Hagan, released a statement after the vote to indicate that she also would have voted against the bailout.)

Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi is also in a fight for reelection and also opposed the bill, with an eye towards taxpayer dollars. “At its core,” he said in a written statement, “this is still the same plan that calls on taxpayers to go $700 billion further into debt in an attempt to fix this problem, while doing absolutely nothing to prevent it from happening again.”

Louisiana’s Mary Landrieu, who has gained in most state polls but is still considered the Senate’s most vulnerable Democrat, also opposed the bill.

John Sununu of New Hampshire, Gordon Smith of Oregon, and Norm Coleman of Minnesota all voted in favor of the financial rescue package.

Senate leaders praised both presidential candidates and vice presidential candidate Joe Biden for returning to the Senate chamber from the trail to vote “aye” on the measure. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters after the vote that the candidates played a “constructive role” in hammering out the compromise.

delete