T Nation

7 Weeks to 100 Pushups

so, i picked this book up the other day, and am gonna give the program a try, as i have a PT test coming up.

anyone else hear about this book, or try it out?

You shouldn’t have bought that book, now what will you do if someone puts out a book titled ‘6 Weeks to 100 pushups’?

[quote]boatguy wrote:
You shouldn’t have bought that book, now what will you do if someone puts out a book titled ‘6 Weeks to 100 pushups’?[/quote]

or like the old MM2K program “add 40 lbs to you bench in 6 weeks?”

yeah, crappy program…only added 55lbs for me (to a total of 360 at a 180 bdywt)…

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]boatguy wrote:
You shouldn’t have bought that book, now what will you do if someone puts out a book titled ‘6 Weeks to 100 pushups’?[/quote]

yeah, crappy program…only added 55lbs for me (to a total of 360 at a 180 bdywt)…[/quote]

why not just keep doing as many pushups as you can do until you keep increasing it? I dont think buying a book is necessary but to each his own. What PT test do you have coming up?

.greg.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]boatguy wrote:

yeah, crappy program…only added 55lbs for me (to a total of 360 at a 180 bdywt)…[/quote]

why not just keep doing as many pushups as you can do until you keep increasing it? I dont think buying a book is necessary but to each his own. What PT test do you have coming up?

.greg.[/quote]

Army PT test

so, i picked this book up the other day, and am gonna give the program a try, as i have a PT test coming up.

anyone else hear about this book, or try it out?[/quote]

i coulda swore this was my original question…nevermind.

If you can do more than 20 right now and it shouldnt take 7 weeks. Fuck sake its only push ups. Unless you’re mad fat which i assume you likely arent as really fat folks dont typically sign up for the military unless its air force.

-chris

Is the goal to do 100 good push-ups as a single set? I’m thinking that’s a hell of a goal.

If it’s just to do 100 crummy push-ups with your head hanging down so you don’t have to move as much, you can do it in a month. hehehe.

Seriously though, what is the goal?

I dunno dude, you might have ‘over-thunk’ that purchase. There’s plenty of free info out there on how to boost your PU rep-count.

30-40-50-60-50-40-30 with 60-90 seconds rest in between. Or try six sets of 50 with same amount of rest. I dont buy the multiple sets of 20 or 25- you get really good at only doing 30 or so pushups before your first rest, and then… pffft

I’d be interested in hearing what the magical 7 week program says.

thanks for all the commenting, but i really was just asking if anyone had heard of it, or knew anything about the book or program.

obviously i already bought the book, so needless critiquing is a little pointless right now.

thanks for all the commenting, but i really was just asking if anyone had heard of it, or knew anything about the book or program.

obviously i already bought the book, so needless critiquing is a little pointless right now.[/quote]

Didn’t buy it but have heard of it. I think it’s designed for those who are pretty weak to begin with. I imagine being in the ARMY you can crank out a pretty respectable amount as is. I would like to know how you progress on it. I’ve never trained for it but always thought it’d be cool to be able to crank out a straight hundo woth no breaks. My max is in the mid 60’s. Where are you at now?

[quote]boatguy wrote:

where are you at right now? a 360 bench at 180 to me sounds like you should at least be in the in the 70-80 region, unless you’ve really never trained them.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

obviously i already bought the book, so needless critiquing is a little pointless right now.[/quote]

Didn’t buy it but have heard of it. I think it’s designed for those who are pretty weak to begin with. I imagine being in the ARMY you can crank out a pretty respectable amount as is. I would like to know how you progress on it. I’ve never trained for it but always thought it’d be cool to be able to crank out a straight hundo woth no breaks. My max is in the mid 60’s. Where are you at now?[/quote]

well, that’s kinda what i was thinking…i’m kinda out of shape, and can really only get about 60 pushups in 2 minutes (not consecutive, either).

i wish i could post more of the book for those of you that are interested, but it’s basically a progressive template based off your current consecutive max.

100 push ups (with good form) in a 2min time is a respectable goal. It sounds like you are trying for Rangers or SF if you are going for time. Army boot camp requirements are not that tough, 20reps a set is what they do in basic. 7 weeks is a reasonable time to achieve that goal with any generic program. Even if you did Chad Waterbury’s “100push ups and 50pull ups a day” deal you would get to your goal.

The perfect push up has a system vaguely similar to the “7 weeks…” book. Either way the perfect push-up is a damn good product and will advance your push-ups quickly on any program. I’m sure there are plenty of ppl who dislike the perfect push-up but it does work. I help train a handful of kids getting ready for specwar a year and it works for everyone of them. However, don’t forget about the pull-ups. You should be doing 20 or close to it.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Didn’t buy it but have heard of it. I think it’s designed for those who are pretty weak to begin with. I imagine being in the ARMY you can crank out a pretty respectable amount as is. I would like to know how you progress on it. I’ve never trained for it but always thought it’d be cool to be able to crank out a straight hundo woth no breaks. My max is in the mid 60’s. Where are you at now?[/quote]

well, that’s kinda what i was thinking…i’m kinda out of shape, and can really only get about 60 pushups in 2 minutes (not consecutive, either).

i wish i could post more of the book for those of you that are interested, but it’s basically a progressive template based off your current consecutive max.[/quote]

Are you lifting? I do push-ups really irregularly and can pop down and get sets of 50 no problem. I imagine if you just focused on a few high rep sets of push-ups damn near daily you’d get your numbers up way fast.

when on holiday away from the gym i normally do 100 a day. I’m surte the guy who wrote the book knows more than me, but if you try and do 10 a minute after 10 minutes you’ve done them on the first day. For the next few days try for 20 a minute until you can get it, and then go on like that, until your just doing it one set.

cycobushmaster

A program called add 40lbs to your bench in 6 weeks? Where can I get that? How much does it cost?

It looks like the essentials of the program are fully laid out on the authors website with a
3 day a week 5 set progression over the 7 weeks.

The book may not add a whole lot more.

People can say what they want about that magazine, but they had some great training articles, and the one you mention was the best by far.

[quote]lnname wrote:
when on holiday away from the gym i normally do 100 a day. I’m surte the guy who wrote the book knows more than me, but if you try and do 10 a minute after 10 minutes you’ve done them on the first day. For the next few days try for 20 a minute until you can get it, and then go on like that, until your just doing it one set.

cycobushmaster

A program called add 40lbs to your bench in 6 weeks? Where can I get that? How much does it cost?[/quote]

You had to send away for it back in the day(late 90s), from MM2K. I still have my copy on my bookshelf. Was definitely a good program, I made good gains using that.

www.joeskopec.com/programs.html has a spreadsheet calculator for that program “Add 50 lb”, to just plug in your 1RM and it does the rest. If you need a full explanation of the program, you will have to google it, since the link on that page to the explanation doesn’t work.