7 Exercises From Thib's Toolbox

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1524088

I like these kind of articles because every once and awhile I find something that I never knew about that really works for me. An example of that is the pull-through. This exercise KILLED my glutes and hams. Not much is as exciting as ‘discovering’ a new exercise that works for you and your goals.

Admin and authors please support more stuff like this, especially articles with videos. There are many of us that would like to perfect our technique and the vids do help.

Also, more specifically, I would love to see an article with vids about the oly lifts and how to perform them. Something basic would be awesome.

Thanks.

CT, just curious, but would the one-arm motorcycle rowing be categorized similiarly to a vertical pulling exercise versus a horizontal pulling one?

Along those lines, I have some Atlantis equipment at home and have their unilateral lat pulldown. First I was wondering if you’re familiar with the machine, and, if so, how would it compare to this one-arm motorcycle rowing?

I realize there’d be much more stabilization required in the standing exercise, but purely from a lat development standpoint do you think there’d be a noteworthy difference between the two?

I second the oly lifting article…And Thib would be just the guy since he used to do it.

I love that lumberjack squat, seems like a good version of the front squat.

I have seen CT advocate(or at least make positive mention of) lever exercises a few times. But I have never actually heard anyone breakdown some differences between lever pushes and pulls vs. free weights.

I started doing levered one armed bb rows, and I have found them to be astounding for my upper back, more so than using just a dumbbell(which I still do), but I have no clue why that is…

and yes, I have done some searches on the subject here, but a term like lever or ‘leverage’ gets too many hits to really find what I am looking for.

I see what TC was getting at now. Very civilised. Great article as always Christian, i especially like the corner-bar squats and presses. I’ll try them out. Cheers

Front squats used to be my favorite, but after trying the corner-bar squats today in the gym, I now found my new favorite. My quads still feel pumped 2 hours after my workout.

Thank you, Christian!

I’m definitely going to add the corner bar shoulder press and squats to my routine.

Thanks for the tips, CT.

[quote]Mod Laurie wrote:
Front squats used to be my favorite, but after trying the corner-bar squats today in the gym, I now found my new favorite. My quads still feel pumped 2 hours after my workout.

Thank you, Christian![/quote]

And I would think the abs get more of a workout too. I’m going to have to try this one.

By the way, Thibs, who’s Carl? He’s got some massive arms.

That shoulder bar corner press does look awesome, defiantly going to try that especially as I am going for more unilateral moves…

ShadoW

Chris, tu te sers de Carl Gourgues dans tes exemples! J-P Cormier va etre jaloux!!!

Yeah, I always like these articles. That shoulder press looks pretty good for my sometimes whacked-out rt. shoulder. Check out “scrape the rack” presses by Dave Tate too. They instantly make impingement issues a non-issue.

Along Vince’s Motorcycle rows, Larry Scott used something I call Lawn Mowers. As you can imagine, you start out just as Thib’s exercise here, but you pull back further and at different angles to emphasize rear delts and various other scapular and GH joint muscles. Plus you probably develop a mean backhand, too.

DH

This was spooky, I spent half of last week trying to figure out how to target my pecs like these Far-away flies do.

I came up with something very similar but with dumbells…but using the cables continuous tension makes better sense.

Thanks
:slight_smile:

[quote]Mod Laurie wrote:

ML, how did the two compare in terms of weight used? Did you find that you have to use less weight to control the bar?

Thanks for any input!

I love this sort of article. I’m really looking forward to incorporating lumberjack squats into my next squat session. Can’t wait! (but gotta).

[quote]Arioch wrote:
Mod Laurie wrote:

Thank you, Christian!

ML, how did the two compare in terms of weight used? Did you find that you have to use less weight to control the bar?

Thanks for any input![/quote]

I did use a lot less because I was learning the movement, but I know I’ll be moving up quickly after getting a feel for it after a couple of work outs. I just used a 45 on the bar today.

At first I felt as if I was leaning forward too much, but once I squatted down to ATG, it felt great with no pressure on my spine. The movement really puts the work on the quads.

Hope that helps.

My lifting partner comes back Wednesday from a week in Hawaii (curse him!). I want to try out those corner bar squats tomorrow so I can spring them on him soon. Nice variation to use for CW’s TBT.

[quote]T-Bone81 wrote:
CT, just curious, but would the one-arm motorcycle rowing be categorized similiarly to a vertical pulling exercise versus a horizontal pulling one?
[/quote]

It’s a vertical pulling exercise, it’s a movement pattern similar to a lat pulldown/chin-up, but with a bent over torso (the line of pull is still the same though).

[quote]T-Bone81 wrote:
Along those lines, I have some Atlantis equipment at home and have their unilateral lat pulldown. First I was wondering if you’re familiar with the machine, and, if so, how would it compare to this one-arm motorcycle rowing?

I realize there’d be much more stabilization required in the standing exercise, but purely from a lat development standpoint do you think there’d be a noteworthy difference between the two?[/quote]

The machine illustrated is an athlantis seated row machine BTW…

By unilateral lat pulldown do you mean the cable or machine version? The cable version is pretty similar in effect. I also like the machine one, but it’s not quite as effective as the cable one, because it doesn’t fit every body the same way.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
I see what TC was getting at now. Very civilised. Great article as always Christian, i especially like the corner-bar squats and presses. I’ll try them out. Cheers[/quote]

I train a few guys for strongmen events and we are using a combo lumberjack squat + corner press. The athlete basically performed the squat and finish of the rep as a press, sets of 20 reps are done… killer lactate work!

[quote]Mod Laurie wrote:

You’re welcome! You can even combine it with a press at the end for a nice total body exercise.

Corner split squats are also quite nice… in a painful way!

[quote]Miserere wrote:

By the way, Thibs, who’s Carl? He’s got some massive arms.[/quote]

He’s an offensive lineman in the CFL … might have been an NFL prospect had he been taller than 6’1" … he did play fullback 2 years ago in the CFL though. He’s around 305lbs these days with 21" arms.