T Nation

7 Days A Week= Overtraining?

Is there anyway that I can train 6-7 days a week without 'riods and not be overtrained?

[quote]SheekLouche wrote:
Is there anyway that I can train 6-7 days a week without 'riods and not be overtrained?[/quote]

pilades 7 days a week

Yeah, look into “feeder” workouts. GPP. Etc.

If you mean… “Can I hit the weights as hard as I humanly can everyday and not be overtrained?” No. You’ll develop a nagging cold, nagging injuries, and you’ll look worse.

Or you can train 7 days a week like a sissy girl.

If you really want to workout 7 days a week. Find some GPP and use it to fill in.

A. No.

B. Why would you want to?

I’ve always believed that even if you do HVT (high-volume training), you should have one day per week where you don’t do regular exercise at all. So the max you can do is 6 days.

But even so, more is NOT necessarily better when it comes to training. You might want to think about reading “The New High-Intensity Training” (2004) by Ellington Darden. Even if you don’t use or even LIKE HIT, a lot of the book speaks against trying to train every day and didn’t come off sounding like an exercise machine infomercial.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:

B. Why would you want to?[/quote]

Because lifting kicks ass. I can’t think of too many things that make me feel more alive.

[quote]Atreides wrote:
SheekLouche wrote:
Is there anyway that I can train 6-7 days a week without 'riods and not be overtrained?

pilades 7 days a week[/quote]

Haha - If I use, can I do it 2x a day?

Yes, you could take the volume you’d perform on a 3 or 4 day split, and divide it evenly throughout 7 days so you never do very much on one particular day.

Michael Phelps trains 7 days a week and look at him.

No seriously though. I think if you varied your intensity and like somebody else mentioned if some of those days were GPP you could probably do it.

[quote]chrismcl wrote:
Michael Phelps trains 7 days a week and look at him.

No seriously though. I think if you varied your intensity and like somebody else mentioned if some of those days were GPP you could probably do it.[/quote]

Swimming (concentric only no shock) like sled dragging is much easier to recover from. In fact, I’ve often worked out, gone swimming, and felt like working out again.

I am a chronic overtrainer. I will sometimes go for two weeks where I train 2x/day 7 days a week, but a workout is maybe 5x3 at 80% on the bench or squat or clean rack pull. Sometimes I did this for bench squat and clean each 4x in a single week. Its too much anyway and I’m not going to do that anymore.

I think, even if you split up the workload, your much better off forcing a day or two off each week. You will notice that the day back, you are fired up.

I also think you can ramp and taper your volume: 5 days, 6 days, 7 days, and then 3 weeks of 4 days a week.

7 days a week is possible cuz I do it and I have shit recovery.The techniques Pavel talked about in his old Muscle Media days work really well. He has reprinted them in a book called Beyond Bodybuilding.The trick is to either cycle lifts or intensities.For ex: for Legs I will do 2 high volume days a week, one squats,one Good Mornings- 2 medium “practice days” with a couple a sets of sandbag lunges for ex and 3 days of active rest where I do just one set of 15-25 reps of kettlebell or dumbbell front squats, very deep. Never reach failure.Think of your workouts as strength practice instead.For shoulders I do 2 days heavy/high volume, 2 days light(handsatnd pushups) and 3 days active rest, 1 single set of 15-25 Arnold Presses with kb or db. Work the same kinds of skills on the same days i.e. all my active sissy weight shit is on the same 3 days…

Never ever go to fail, use antagonistic pairing,45 sec between pairs, 2 min between the same exercise if not pairing, 5-15 sets for each lift on the 2 big days, dont lift for more than an hour,sleep 9 hours a day,take naps, eat your veggies,blah balh blah.If you can peek into Pavels book check out the russian reps for a lifters solid build article.For example, my bench has gone to 375 from 335 in 4 weeks benching twice a week.I do this kind of routine,not because it is nesscessary but because I want to lift all the time!Peace…

One more thing.Overreaching in essential to this kind of routine.So bust ass for 3 weeks then take one week at half volume.Do this for a couple a month then switch to CT’s OVT for a couple an then back…peace,for real…z