T Nation

7 Day Fast, Is This Healthy?

My friend recently did a 7 day fast where he just drank 750mls of fruit/vegetables juice a day. I told him that he should do the V diet instead but he was set on doing his thing.

From the begining I thought this was a bad idea because of the zero protein and such but he wouldn’t listen. Anyways he was pretty active during this time (went skiing twice, played two hockey games).He got the idea out of some old muscle mag(weider). I was very doubtful he would make it but to my surprise he did.

Anyways , he made it and lost a total of 18 pounds in 7 days!!! he looks thinner around the waist for sure. How much of this was muscle I have no idea but he says that he didn’t lose too much strength. What do you guys think of this? Personally I would never do it for fear of losing my hard earned muscle…

he probably lost 50 50 muscle and fat

its a bad idea I think especialy for body builders I thought the V diet was bad, this takes it to a whole new level

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
My friend recently did a 7 day fast where he just drank 750mls of fruit/vegetables juice a day. I told him that he should do the V diet instead but he was set on doing his thing. [/quote]

Not really a true fast if he’s drinking fruit juice.

Well likely that the majority of the loss was water and glycogen, with very little actual fat lost. I would guess he lost more muscle than he did fat, regardless if he thinks he lost strength or not.

I’ve seen crap like this on “spiritual” based websites… a quick google doesnt show a single physician saying this is a good idea, just “spiritual” ones.

I dont know what this does for you spiritually or not, but asking here, its physical trauma.

Ya, I agree with you guys, I just wanted to hear some other peoples ideas on this. I was just really surprised because he found this in a old Weider mag probably from the 70s…just goes to show.

He definitely did lose more than just water and glycogen though because the after weight was taken a day after eating and drinking(ate his first meal at 12pm and weighed himself at about 8:30 that night) so I think most water and glycogen would have been gained back. Plus he definitely looks thinner around the waist like I said. I was just shocked at the amount of weighted he lost, I thought his metabolism would shut down and he would only lose maybe 5-10. But over 2 pounds a day is crazy…

Over 2 pounds a week, for most people, is too much. 2/day is more like a Jew in the Holocaust.

I’m assuming you only gave this more than 2 seconds attention because you yourself are interested in fat loss. There’s PLENTY of healthy ways to go about that, and probably into the hundreds of threads here now regarding it. Educate yourself, dont starve yourself.

[quote]eclypse wrote:
Over 2 pounds a week, for most people, is too much. 2/day is more like a Jew in the Holocaust.

I’m assuming you only gave this more than 2 seconds attention because you yourself are interested in fat loss. There’s PLENTY of healthy ways to go about that, and probably into the hundreds of threads here now regarding it. Educate yourself, dont starve yourself.[/quote]

No, im not interested in fat loss. I probably wont be leaning out for a least a couple years. I was in no way considering doing this. I just thought it was interesting because of how extreme it was.

A fast is supposed to be a time of mental AND physical cleansing. I have done 3 total 7 day fasts over my lifetime. I have never had a problem regaining any lost strength or muscle in a quick period of time. The mental fortitude you develop makes you much stronger in the end.

The only people that crap all over them are those that have not educated themselves in it. It is easy to be like “Oh thats some new age hippy bs” but the fact is the practice has been around for centuries and it definitely has health/longevity benefits when done properly

[quote]storey420 wrote:
it definitely has health/longevity benefits when done properly[/quote]

Which are?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
storey420 wrote:
it definitely has health/longevity benefits when done properly

Which are?[/quote]

makes 12 year old girls want you cause you have teh ript abzzz

i cant see anything healthy about that

[quote]storey420 wrote:
The mental fortitude you develop makes you much stronger in the end.
[/quote]

Perhaps he could have done 20 rep squats, the V-diet, or even the get shredded diet.

All three require extreme mental toughness, discipline, and dedication. Except, well, they’re much healthier.

I preach the hell out of physical as well as mental wellbeing, and I like to think I have a pretty open mind.

This, however, goes way beyond anything I’m willing to accept. Call me ignorant or a hippy hater or whatever, so be it. I’m not interested in pissing blood to find my zen.

Sure the mind has unlocked potential (see: placebo effect, amongst other things), but I have a hard time believing starvation is the way to go about finding it. Meditation has been proven healthy (from a spiritual perspective or not… im agnostic and believe in meditation) if you’re interested in something of that nature.

The issues usually set out to solve through this “fast” is digestion problems, at least claimed by people that do it.

Most of the people I know that do this are “self-educated” people reading “hippy” books. They don’t realize if they’d stop eating cookies and claiming to be a vegetarian, their digestive systems would be just fine.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
storey420 wrote:

Perhaps he could have done 20 rep squats, the V-diet, or even the get shredded diet.

All three require extreme mental toughness, discipline, and dedication. Except, well, they’re much healthier.[/quote]

Not much healthier, but yes healthier.

Since the human body is in a constant state of digestion/breakdown of food, when one fasts for a 24 hour period or more the body’s digestive systems have a chance to rest and work towards disinfection and restoration of tissue.
Also there is some work out there surfacing on longevity genes and how this process can activate them. Much in the same way that certain cutting techniques activate the switches in certain tissue to release fat.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
The issues usually set out to solve through this “fast” is digestion problems, at least claimed by people that do it.

Most of the people I know that do this are “self-educated” people reading “hippy” books. They don’t realize if they’d stop eating cookies and claiming to be a vegetarian, their digestive systems would be just fine.[/quote]

You mean totally different from the people on this site that read the various articles and then claim to be a subject matter expert because they can put up decent numbers?
BTW that last statement shows your tru ignorance and bias towards the subject, so do yourself a favor an educate yourself before you make yourself appear even dumber

[quote]eclypse wrote:
I preach the hell out of physical as well as mental wellbeing, and I like to think I have a pretty open mind.

This, however, goes way beyond anything I’m willing to accept. Call me ignorant or a hippy hater or whatever, so be it. I’m not interested in pissing blood to find my zen.

Sure the mind has unlocked potential (see: placebo effect, amongst other things), but I have a hard time believing starvation is the way to go about finding it. Meditation has been proven healthy (from a spiritual perspective or not… im agnostic and believe in meditation) if you’re interested in something of that nature.[/quote]

pissing blood to find my zen? ok if you must force me—you’re ignorant, I could care less if you hate hippies–they usually stink anyways

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
storey420 wrote:
The mental fortitude you develop makes you much stronger in the end.

All three require extreme mental toughness, discipline, and dedication. Except, well, they’re much healthier.[/quote]

Why can’t he do all three of those plus a fast every few years?

I used to work for a company that had alot of muslims working for them. They all did alot of fasting. I think it was for an entire month they wernt allowed to eat any food after 6am. So… they would wake up before 6am, eat lots, then starve themselves the rest of the day.
I asked one of them why they did it. He said it is a reminder of all the people in the world who have to suffer without food.

I think this is a very nobel and very unselfish act on there part. However, being in Canada, I think they should celebrate the fact that they DO have food, and dont have to starve. I dont want to insult anybody’s reliion, but it seems kind of silly to me. Oh well… like i said, it is a nice thought on their part.