6RM EDT Experiences / Advice

I posted this same thing in the beginner section of the forum a few days ago but received no advice, so I’m reposting here. I figure someone in the bodybuilding section will have tried this program, or will have some good advice.

I’m relatively new to BBing, and have been training (5-3-1) for about 6 months. I’ve decided to try out EDT, and was curious what people thought of the 6RM program. I am using it for mass and strength, not decreasing BF. Any critiques or suggestions for this program would be appreciated.

My program looks like this (All exercises are performed in sets of 3 w/ my 6RM)

Monday & Friday
20m superset

1. a) Bottom Position BP
  2. b) Bent over Rows

5-7 minute rest

15 min superset
2. a) MP
2. b) Weighted (ring) Chinups

Tuesday & Thursday
20 minute superset

1. a) Bottom position Squat
  2. b) Deadlift

5-7 minute rest

15 minutes
2. KB Swings (using this instead of 1 arm KB snatches…mainly because I don’t have very good technique with the latter)

I should also note that I did a search, using EDT as the keyword, previous to this post, and didn’t come up with anything current, or that specifically focuses on the 6RM variation for size and strength, rather than the 10RM programs.

[quote]surillious wrote:
I posted this same thing in the beginner section of the forum a few days ago but received no advice, so I’m reposting here. I figure someone in the bodybuilding section will have tried this program, or will have some good advice.

I’m relatively new to BBing, and have been training (5-3-1) for about 6 months. I’ve decided to try out EDT, and was curious what people thought of the 6RM program. I am using it for mass and strength, not decreasing BF. Any critiques or suggestions for this program would be appreciated.

My program looks like this (All exercises are performed in sets of 3 w/ my 6RM)

Monday & Friday
20m superset

1. a) Bottom Position BP
  2. b) Bent over Rows

5-7 minute rest

15 min superset
2. a) MP
2. b) Weighted (ring) Chinups

Tuesday & Thursday
20 minute superset

1. a) Bottom position Squat
  2. b) Deadlift

5-7 minute rest

15 minutes
2. KB Swings (using this instead of 1 arm KB snatches…mainly because I don’t have very good technique with the latter)

I should also note that I did a search, using EDT as the keyword, previous to this post, and didn’t come up with anything current, or that specifically focuses on the 6RM variation for size and strength, rather than the 10RM programs.[/quote]

EDT is tough stuff. Have you ever done these days before? If you would just try it out for yourself, note problems, and make your own adjustments, you will find yourself with a better designed system than one that any of us random people on the internet can give you. One thing though, good luck with that Squat and Deadlift superset.

Yeah, I did a 15 minute test run of each of the 3 supersets on 3 different days last week (it was a deload week so aside from rock climbing that’s all I did at the gym) to see if my weight predictions were accurate. I made some minor adjustments, and started the full program this week…all I can say is WOW I’m sore. You’re right about the deadlift/squat superset being beastly. The kettlebell swings did help release some of the tightness in the lower back though.

Ive never heard of the 6RM EDT… is it a specific program? do u have a link to it?

[quote]Jesse wrote:
Ive never heard of the 6RM EDT… is it a specific program? do u have a link to it?[/quote]

Basically, the concept is to set up a time zone of 10-15 minutes and lift a heavy weight as many times in that time zone as you can, striving to beat that total number of reps in subsequent workouts, as often as possible.

It’s simple but pretty brutal if you’ve got the balls to really push it.

I tried EDT once…pretty brutal routine, good fat loss and conditioning, but I didn’t gain any appreciable amount of LBM, even if my diet was pretty sound. Be sure to eat a lot!

OP, you may want to modify lower body days, 'cause DLing and squatting the same day will get too taxing once you use more than 1,5xbw on both. You can do something like this:

Tuesday: superset DL with a triceps move, no Squat

Thursday: superset Squat with a biceps one, no DL

or with anything you need to work directly (abs, calves, rotator cuff, lateral delts, etc…).

Fabiop: I hear what you’re saying. I’m using just slightly more than 1.5xbw on the DL, and just under on the squats, and it’s quite taxing already. I could only manage about half as many sets on the lower body day as I could on the upper body day.

I’m going to try this for a couple more workouts to see how I feel after some recovery time, but I fear you may be right. I will probably end up splitting them up.

Jesse: I don’t think there is a specific 6RM program, but Staley mentions the idea in his book, “The Unnatural Athlete.” That One Guy does a pretty good job of explaining how it works.

If you’ve GOT to superset squats with DL’s, I’d make them front squats.

As has been mentioned, I think that EDT is good for conditioning and fat loss. For beginners I’d recommend reading The Bodybuilding Bible here:

And/or a good article from CT like this one (about program design):

Try to read them, they’re excellent resources :slight_smile:

Issue # 225. End Your Strength Plateaus NOW. EDT for Maximal Strength Breakthroughs. Charles Staley. The search on this site needs a little help. I always have to dig hard to find what I’m looking for. I received good results with the other EDT programs but never did this one. Maybe now is the time. Good Luck

its_just_me: Thanks for the links. I hadn’t read either of CT’s articles.

SMF: This is just what I was hoping for. I haven’t finished the article yet, but I’m glad to know it exists. I think it should help a lot.