T Nation

6ft2 190 lbs Need Pointers

I skimmed through the stickie and didn't see anything mentioning a video.

My posing is terrible and I don't have anyone to take pictures of me and I kinda felt weird about calling a friend to come over and hold the camera for me so I went ahead and recorded myself making sure I showed the front, the back and the wheels.

I'm 6ft2 and weight 190 when I rise, 195 when I go to bed. I've been stuck at this weight for a while now, I'm trying to improve on my diet to hit 200-210 for the summer. I first started lifting at 120lbs.

Here it is:

It's still processing so the quality might get better in a little.
I am sorry about the lighting too, not the best but I think we got something to work with.
I added some music to cover me grunting so you might just want to either tone the volume down or completely turn it off.

I do not have measurements as I don't own a measuring tape, I'll try to get a hold of one and edit my post Asap.

My routine has been this for the past year:
Week A

Day 1
Squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Day 2
Front squats 3x3
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Day 3
Squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Week B

Day 1
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Day 2
Front squats 3x3
Bench press 3x5
Power clean 5x3

Day 3
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Pull-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

I just started adding weighted dips this week because I feel my pressing movements could use a little more accessory work. I plan on dropping this program maybe in 2-4 weeks and start a fresh one, thinking 5/3/1.

As far as weights go my big 3 are:
Squat 325x5
Deadlift 345x5
Bench 230x5

I never maxed ever so I don't really know what my 1rm's are and I'm not interessed in knowing just yet, I'm still building my base.

My diet isn't really polished. I'm on a budget so I eat a lot of:
Cheap steak
Rice
eggs
bread
chicken when it's on sale
tuna

As far as goals go I train for aesthetics and strength.

Strength wise I would like to be able to deadlift 6-7 plates, Squat 4plate35 to 5 plate and bench 3, I'd be much happy with these, I don,t really know if it's realistic though.

Aesthetic wise I supposed I'll just stop trying to grow soon as I find I look good enough, which probably won't ever happen. Right now my short/long term goal is to hit 220lb which would supposedly make me look like Kimbo slice size. I wouldn't mind looking like Michael Jay white in Blood and Bones either.

Hope I covered everything and I hope that the video was okay in place of the pictures.

The above picture is me 6 months after I first started lifting, I don't have a picture of me prior to that sorry.

Looks like a decent start. Need to be 20% bigger.

How old are you?

You put on 70lbs in 6 months?

I don't think that's absurd given that he weighed 120lbs at 6'2". OP I think you have made solid progress, and I think you know that you just need to get bigger all over. If you want to switch to 5/3/1 take a look at Cephalic_Carnage's 5/3/1 templates (you'll need to use Google to find them, I can't remember the links), which are more suited to bodybuilding.

Yea I know, I want to be able to fill up a medium size t-shirt, figure I'll get there by the time I hit 210-220lb. I hope I can achieve that weight within 1year and a half.

I just turned 20.

I was 17 when I first started training but I barely did anything good. I bought a bench press with some kind of squat rack for 60 bucks on the canadian's craiglist. Then I bought some weight and a pull up bar at wal-mart. From there I started doing bench/squats/pull ups and curls but I didn't have a routine or anything, I'd just do them everyday. Back then I had no clue about what I was doing, I was all over the place.

Somewhere around the summer of that year we moved and I kept the same pattern form a few months. I then hit 18 and stopped working out, I was going to school and working a job, I had lost interest in training. As mentioned above I didn't have much knowledge about bodybuilding so my gains were slow, I felt weak and I was too impatient so I just said fuck it and stopped.

The next year I got into a new job and made friends with co-workers which were going to the gym. They invited me to go along with them and I got hooked again. The first 3ish weeks I just followed them around to get a feel of the place, I had never set foot in a gym before so I didn't want to go in alone and look like a dumbass. Once I had a good idea of the place I looked up some routines and I got this SS routine highly suggested so I stuck with it till now.

The picture I posted was when I first started lifting but I didn't change much over the course of the next 2 years. It's pretty much the same frame that I had maintained until I started lifting and eating more seriously.

Yea I know, I want to be able to fill up a medium size t-shirt, figure I'll get there by the time I hit 210-220lb. I hope I can achieve that weight within 1year and a half.

I just turned 20.

I was 17 when I first started training but I barely did anything good. I bought a bench press with some kind of squat rack for 60 bucks on the canadian's craiglist. Then I bought some weight and a pull up bar at wal-mart. From there I started doing bench/squats/pull ups and curls but I didn't have a routine or anything, I'd just do them everyday. Back then I had no clue about what I was doing, I was all over the place.

Somewhere around the summer of that year we moved and I kept the same pattern form a few months. I then hit 18 and stopped working out, I was going to school and working a job, I had lost interest in training. As mentioned above I didn't have much knowledge about bodybuilding so my gains were slow, I felt weak and I was too impatient so I just said fuck it and stopped.

The next year I got into a new job and made friends with co-workers which were going to the gym. They invited me to go along with them and I got hooked again. The first 3ish weeks I just followed them around to get a feel of the place, I had never set foot in a gym before so I didn't want to go in alone and look like a dumbass. Once I had a good idea of the place I looked up some routines and I got this SS routine highly suggested so I stuck with it till now.

The picture I posted was when I first started lifting but I didn't change much over the course of the next 2 years. It's pretty much the same frame that I had maintained until I started lifting and eating more seriously.

Yea I'll look it up.

I'm not quite sure if I'll go with 5/3/1 just yet I'll have to look around at what's available because as of next tuesday I'm gonna have a busy schedule and I don't know if I'll be able to fit more than 3 days of gym in my schedule.

Besides, I already found a template on this site which is:

Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps
Standing Military Press â?? 5/3/1
DB Military Press â?? 4 x12
Side Laterals/Rear Laterals â?? 4 x12
Barbell Curls â?? 4 x12
Preacher Curls â?? 4 x10

Day 2: Back
Deadlift â?? 5/3/1
Bent Over Rows â?? 4 x12
Chin ups â?? 4 x10 (or do Lat Pulldowns)
Good Mornings â?? 4 x10
Hanging Leg Raises â?? 4 x12

Day 3: Chest and Triceps
Bench Press â?? 5/3/1
Weighted Dips â?? 4 x10
DB Flyes â?? 4 x12
Triceps Pushdowns â?? 5 x 20
Push ups â?? 4 sets to failure

Day 4: Legs and Abs
Squat â?? 5/3/1
Leg Press â?? 5 x 15
Leg Curls â?? 5 x 15