6'8", Too Tall to Compete in a Natural Physique Comp?

Hey from Texas ya’ll. I have wondered if doing a physique competition would be an enjoyable challenge. The only thing I wonder about is if I’m wasting my time. I’m 6’8" and 36 with a 7 foot long armspan and getting any amount of muscle built up on my frame may not still be enough to be worthy of competing. This is how I look normally. This isn’t with a pump, or post workout or anything. just some shots I took this morning a couple hours after getting up. I lift 45 minutes to an hour once a day 4 to 5 days a week. I would appreciate hearing from anyone out there if someone of my height would be wasting his time in a natural physique competition on any level. Thanks ya’ll

Well just from those pics, IMO for your height you still look like you’ve got some mass and thickness, wide lats and shoulders from the back. There’s no way to know what you’ll look like at stage weight until you get that lean, but I don’t think you’d be wasting your time getting on stage. What matters more than your height is your structure and how much mass you’re carrying around right now, I’ve certainly seen very tall but very lanky guys on stage, you don’t seem to have that issue. Again no way to know until you do it, but I say go for it! Worst case scenario you don’t end up as big as you hoped, but will still be crazy lean and looking awesome, and at that point it’ll be easier to add more LBM.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I should have included that at this point I weigh 250. Most folks say I don’t look like I weigh that much, but it’s just cause I’m all spread out. I guess first I need to find out when/where something local in DFW is going to be next and maybe find some guidance for preparation. There’s a ton of great articles I’ve read on this site that I should start with re-reading too probably.

Legs will hardest to develop, i would do a lot of deads especially trap bar, the heaviest pulls in the world have been tall guys, due to you height be wary of low back and knee health. Some gym equipment may akward for you do to stature, you already know this, but yeah you got good thickness good luck. If bodybuilding dont work try strong man.

Thanks for that! I really like to do deads with the trap bar because when I do them with a straight bar it injures my lower back 2 out of 3 times. I think it has to do with needing to bring the bar over the front of the knees and the extra strain it puts on my lower back. I try not to use machines a lot, but those old Precor machines seem to largely be made with tall guys in mind, so I love having them around when I want to use a machine for something. Thanks again.

There’s really no such thing as “too tall”, BUT, there is the whole premise of proportions when being assessed. That said, it’s always going to take a bit more muscle to fill in the distance of the humerus bone in a taller individual than a shorter one. I’m 5’8 and my brother is 6’0, and at one point years ago, we were both tipping the scales at 215 lbs. He was so proud of himself until I pointed out that next to me he looked like a lacrosse player and not a bodybuilder.

It does look like you’re packing a good amount of mass. I’d love to see you push through to a contest!

S

3 Likes

That’s just mean lol.

But yeah OP, no way to know how you will like it until you go for it. So go for it.

I agree…there’s no such thing as too tall. So, go after the competition man!

You might find that you need more mass if you’re competing in a natural bodybuilding show. However, if you are competing in a men’s physique show, you might find that you’ll do really well. Your shoulders look naturally broad and you seem to have a good v-taper with your back already…it would just come down to conditioning.

Good luck, dude! If you do decide to go for it, keep us all posted on the journey!

Thanks, physique was really what I considering anyway, so glad to hear you confirm that idea.

Just remember bodybuilding contests are not won on a scale and bodyfat measurement. You can carry less muscle than someone at your height or below but your limb length, waist/hips, rig cage size, clavicles, where muscles insert, their shape and how you pose can make it seem like you carry far more muscle than you do.

1 Like

I’m 6’5 and I’m jealous of your height