T Nation

655 Reverse Band Bench Press

655 REVERSE BAND BENCH PRESS OFF A 3-BOARD

[b]TRAIN HARD

“BIG WILLIE” J.T. HALL[/b]

That’s pretty cool…but I have to ask what the purpose of the bands is in that particular lift. From what I can see it only makes the lift easier. Not that 655 isn’t incredible…but with those bands helping…it’s not really 655.

The OP and others can correct me if I’m wrong, but my impression is that the bands give you some help in the bottom portion of the lift, with said help decreasing as you move into the top portion of the rep.

I’ve never done them, but the claim is that they train strength at - and quickness to - lockout, which you need as a geared lifter. It replicates having a bench shirt on without necessarily having to squeeze yourself into one.

I guess you could really overload the press using boards and bands together. Great for strengthening the bench assistance set of muscles to, I imagine.

Same idea is used for deadlifts - also to strengthen the lockout.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
I’ve never done them, but the claim is that they train strength at - and quickness to - lockout, which you need as a geared lifter. It replicates having a bench shirt on without necessarily having to squeeze yourself into one.

I guess you could really overload the press using boards and bands together. Great for strengthening the bench assistance set of muscles to, I imagine.

Same idea is used for deadlifts - also to strengthen the lockout.[/quote]

exactly.

skidmark nailed it; its just another tool in the powerlifters arsenal and while its not an exact replication of the shirt its way easier to choke off some bands than getting into your shirt

that’s some impressive triceps strength. keep up the good work.

Nice lift!

Fuck. I always resort to profanity when words fail me.

[quote]Jeffe wrote:
That’s pretty cool…but I have to ask what the purpose of the bands is in that particular lift. From what I can see it only makes the lift easier. Not that 655 isn’t incredible…but with those bands helping…it’s not really 655.[/quote]

Reverse band bench press:

1. Imitate the bench press shirt
  2. Use heavier weight than normal
  3. Strengthen your lockout

[b]TRAIN HARD

[quote]thephantom wrote:
that’s some impressive triceps strength. keep up the good work. [/quote]

I wish I could have done this exercises few years earlier. I truly believe it will help my bench press overtime.

Thanks a lot,

[b]TRAIN HARD

You are one strong dude. What are your squat and deadlift numbers?