65+ Training

GV, you mean there’s a 725 squat in my future? Ha!

For the record, that’s the most impressive thing I’ve read on here, and I’ve been reading bulldog’s earlier logs since the office is slow at moment. Interesting. There are really great guys on this forum.

Just for the record that was only a walk out and three reps with 725 lbs for half squats. I am working for that day when I will squat 725 at a meet and I’m not going to keep pushing until I get that or more. I’m still feeling the aftereffects, symptoms have been extreme lethargy, huge appetite, and feeling like a train ran over my entire body several times. So, besides the slight sledgehammering I took training tomorrow will be fun and I feel strong and great.

Wednesday chest

Warmup with chest press machines, then dumbbells 3 x 8 @ 60s, 70s, 90s (l00s would not move); cable crossovers 3 x 10 @ 75, 110, 120; dips 3 x 8 bodyweight.

Thursday arms

Warmup, then close grip benches 3 x 8 @ 135, 155, 155; skull crushers 3 x 8 @ 65, 85, 85, 20 bench reps w/85; slow rope hammer curls on cable machine 4 x 10 @ 100, 135, 150, 100; incline bench dumbbell concentration curls 3 x 10 @ 30, 35, 40; did forearm work in between concentration curl sets with rolling rope up to a straight handle, used 10s and then 15s. Arms looked like cannon balls afterward, not strong but intimidating. Probably scared the 20 something powerlifterwannabe working out nearby.

nice work, Biker. You’re definitely giving the big middle finger to Father Time.

Monday, hardly a workout

Gym was COLD, I didn’t have sweats, and I live in Louisiana where–according to my northern relatives–our excessive humidity makes 35 here feel like 10 around Chicago.

Warmup (oxymoron), then workout buddy talked me into a sluff off workout. Squats 3 x 8 @ 225. Then shrugs 3 x 10 @ 225, 315, 405. Nevertheless we’re all excited about a possible new coach for LSU.

Happy Thanksgiving to you in the land of giant mosquitos.

Happy Thanksgiving

Wednesday chest

warmup (gym was warmer today), then bb bench 3 x 8 @ 135, 225, 225; cable crossovers 3 x 10 @ 100, 100, 130; pec deck 3 x 8 @ 100; dips 4 x 8-12. Ok workout, bb benches seems easier after spending last several chest workouts on db benches.

That’s a lot of chest work right there.

Nice work on your benching and other chest work. Have you ever thought of harnessing up a few dozen mosquitos and using them like a flying machine to get around?

Wednesday back, sort of

warmup ( incorporated that light weight 4 way shoulder medley from day before yesterday’s post) then deadlifts from pins 3 x 8 @ 225, 315, 365 ( 315 felt heavy and 365 actually didn’t once I got it going, 405 still in my dreams); SGHP 3 x 8 @ 95, 135, 155. Those were really a workout, but it’s still my favorite lift. That was all today.

Nice hefting there. Your last post in my thread gave me an idea for a book. How about a mosquito who is kind of the villain/hero insect you feel sorry for. Nobody likes mosquitos so maybe it could be a book about one that you feel sorry for or start to like but is still a bothersome pest(sounds like how some might describe me). I remember some time I spent in Louisiana and seeing mosquitos so full of blood they couldn’t fly, like little insect cows that are slow and easy to kill. Those lethargic mosquitos were in great contrast to the ones I know in Florida that are speedy and resemble dive bombers, being much harder to swat. Damn mosquitos are a plague here in the sunshine state sometimes.

Monday shoulders

Warmup, then followed CT’s 12/1/15 article for shoulders. Poundages were less then light, but was first time trying these exercises. Decided 30 lbs was about right for 6 reps. Really. Did the dumbbell 4 routines in one, 6 reps each with 10 lb dumbbells (straight arm overhead to shoulders, then side laterals, then thumbs up front laterals, then thumbs down front laterals). Next did the barbell 6 routines in one, 6 reps each exercise without stopping @ 30 lbs (bench seated snatches, behind the next press, then floor seated snatches, floor seated presses, then standing presses, Bradford presses). Last did the bus driver thing which consisted of holding 35 lb weight plate in front of body l and turning plate like steering wheel. Light weight felt adequate with this stuff, not sure if will be sore yet.
Lastly did forearm work with l0 lb weight on a rope with a handle for twisting to reel up the weight.

I admit I did miss heavier presses and machine work for shoulders.

Thursday shoulders again

Workout Monday didn’t feel changeling enough so I repeated it with somewhat heavier weights. Still under what normally do for shoulders. I added 3 sets of seated dumbbell presses 10 each @ 45 lbs. Also getting kind of lazy for holidays ahead. I did do 15 minutes on @#$%^&*(+treadmill though.

I’m not eating as much and I know that contributes to my laziness.

Monday squats

Messed up with no warmup. Squats 1 x 8 @ 135, 1 x 10 @ 225, 1 x 8 @ 315, 1 x 1 good one @ 335. Did 3 x 30 hyperextensions afterwards since I forgot to warmup. Big mistake. Did some chins, 3 x 8.

Wednesday shoulders

Warmed up with some of CT’s 12/1/15 article’s exercises for shoulder. Used 15 lb dumbbells for the 4 exercises’ routine medley, 3 x 6 (overhead, lateral, 2 front, raises). Overhead presses with dumbbells 3 x 10 @ 35s, 40s, 50s; machine overhead presses 3 x 8 @ 140, 150, 160; finished with variable overhead cable work with each arm. Shoulders feel full considering amount of weight moved.

Thursday biceps, (intended)

Warmed up, mostly shoulders. Did chins 3 x 5,5,8; some shoulder cable work (overhead) 3 x 10 @ 50, 60, 70 ; dips 4 x 12; shrugs 4 x 8 @ 135,225, 315, 425. Then did rope cable curls, slowly, 3 x 10 @ 70, 90, 100; preacher machine curls, slowly, 3 x 8 @ 80. Nonconventional holiday workout felt pretty good, only 3 people in whole gym.

Friday deadlifts

warmed up (again, 40 degree oxymoron–in commercial gym); then deadlifts 2 x 10 @ 135, 225, 1 x 3 @ 385 (equals my 6th decade’s pr); then sghp 3 x 8 @ 120, 135, 135. Still sore from yesterday’s shrugs.

Congrats on = your DL PR! If I’m doing that kind of work at 67 I’ll be a superhero!