T Nation

65% Fat Diet FTW

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]qsar wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
65% fat from all “the wrong sources”, low-carb- Paleoish

[/quote]
Can you elaborate a bit in what you eat during the week? I have a hard time thinking of imitating what you do unless I take raw spoonfuls of coconut oil throughout the day.
[/quote]

Wrong sources?[/quote]

see my food intake listed above. Many medical professionals or RDs would think my sources of fat (many of them anyways) would totally throw my blood lipids out of whack :wink:

[quote]facko wrote:
cool story. This is a bodybuilding forum…not a health forum. What do you look like thanks to your diet?[/quote]

Whatever dude…you are far from being some sort of Adonis so get the fuck out of here. Bodybuilding is about being SUPERIOR. Superior appearance, superior strength, superior health.

JehovasFitness, great job man. I know we have our differences in opinions, but nice to see you walk the walk.

Didn’t know coconut oil could be found in spray form. I usually cook my eggs in butter. Yeah, that extra fat makes them taste awesome. My wife couldn’t figure out why her eggs tasted so much better when I made them. I use butter, she sprayed pam.

Aside - Overused phrases: “walk the walk” and “much respect”

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]qsar wrote:

[/quote]
Can you elaborate a bit in what you eat during the week? I have a hard time thinking of imitating what you do unless I take raw spoonfuls of coconut oil throughout the day.
[/quote]

Wrong sources?[/quote]

see my food intake listed above. Many medical professionals or RDs would think my sources of fat (many of them anyways) would totally throw my blood lipids out of whack ;)[/quote]

im curious how soon after your weekend carb load you had your bloodwork done. i read on davis’ blog that carbs can throw your blood lipids out of whack for up to 5 days after consumption. dont quote me on the exact number of days, im trying to find the blog posting.

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]qsar wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Wrong sources?[/quote]

see my food intake listed above. Many medical professionals or RDs would think my sources of fat (many of them anyways) would totally throw my blood lipids out of whack ;)[/quote]

im curious how soon after your weekend carb load you had your bloodwork done. i read on davis’ blog that carbs can throw your blood lipids out of whack for up to 5 days after consumption. dont quote me on the exact number of days, im trying to find the blog posting.[/quote]

You are correct. Now, I did have a pizza on Friday night (blood draw was the following Weds morning), and a high carb sat. I figured this was an accurate count of my diet so, I kept with it.

I have to go back for the NMR, but will keep with similar timing

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

Damn, lol… I’ve read some stuff about Alzheimer’s prevention/treatment up to 4 TBSP/day of coconut oil.

I’m at 1.5 TBSP/day on avg right now, doesn’t go down quite as well in shot glass form like EvOO, even once turned into liquid.

too much at once upsets my stomach though, so 1 TBSP at a time is about the max… my wife can’t handle even small amounts[/quote]

anything wrong with cooking with coconut oil as far as maintaining the integrity of fatty acids and keeping the health benefits intact?[/quote]

Nope, in fact, cooking is encouraged rather than some other oils. Spectrum sells it in a spray can as well. That’ what I cook my eggs in.

There are some cookies I make that use coconut oil as well instead of butter (not that I dislike butter)
[/quote]Does the coconut oil give the food a coconut taste at all? I was thinking about getting some coconut oil to cook with but was concerned about it making everything taste like coconut.

^EVCO tastes awesome to me. I love it to fry eggs or cook with broccoli.

I guess it depends on who you ask. I think it gives a subtle taste change, but in a great way :wink:

I would be interested in those cookies. How much cocunut oil do you find to replace the butter with? Have you tried reducing the fat a bit? Not that it would fit your normal diet? I am always looking to make some good low fat foods for my carb loads and some lower fat cookies with coconut oil sounds tastey

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I am always looking to make some good low fat foods for my carb loads[/quote]

Cottage cheese blended up with fat free vanilla pudding mix, bit of cinnamon, splenda and syrup (I used to use sugar free just bc of cals but doesnt seem an issue for you). Tasted like liquid pancakes.

enjoy

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
I am always looking to make some good low fat foods for my carb loads[/quote]

Cottage cheese blended up with fat free vanilla pudding mix, bit of cinnamon, splenda and syrup (I used to use sugar free just bc of cals but doesnt seem an issue for you). Tasted like liquid pancakes.[/quote]

Interesting. Will try. I have been doing a dessert of non fat greek yogurt/maybe some fat free cottage cheese/splenda/chocolate pro powerder/and small dash of peanut flour and some ceral added for crunch. AMAZING

enjoy

http://beta.primal-palate.com/recipe/chocolate-chip-cookies/[/quote]

damnit thats a low carb and high fat :slight_smile: you tricked me

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

enjoy

damnit thats a low carb and high fat :slight_smile: you tricked me[/quote]

low carb? 25g per cookie ain’t low-carb lol I’ll eat 8 in a day on weekends… that’s 2,000 calories and 200g carbs just from them :wink:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

enjoy

damnit thats a low carb and high fat :slight_smile: you tricked me[/quote]

add more syrup and chips if you want :wink:

Very good numbers.

Do you keep track of how much fat/carbs/protein you eat daily or you just eat till you are full with the foods you mentioned?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
^EVCO tastes awesome to me. I love it to fry eggs or cook with broccoli.[/quote]
Serious question - is eating the coconut oil as beneficial as cooking with it?

Meaning, I’ve picked up on a few threads on here that people melt it, cook with it - but I just eat it.

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
^EVCO tastes awesome to me. I love it to fry eggs or cook with broccoli.[/quote]

Meaning, I’ve picked up on a few threads on here that people melt it, cook with it - but I just eat it.[/quote]

Both are great. I add a TBSP to my morning shake.

As for the above question. I kept track for 3-4 weesk. First few weeks I was attempting to eat more calories and see what happened. But I got tired of feeling stuffed and eating so much.

[quote]alin wrote:

[quote]MAF14 wrote:

Meaning, I’ve picked up on a few threads on here that people melt it, cook with it - but I just eat it.[/quote]

Yes, as far as I know there isnt anything in it that needs to be heated in order to be digested/absorbed… Not like tea.

I’ve read recommendations of upwards of 3-4 TBSP/day… not sure how to get that much other than pills, and the pills are crazy expensive compared to the oil.

I’ve tried a shot glass like with EvOO, not the best, but doable I guess. In shakes/cooking it workds best I find.