T Nation

65% Fat Diet FTW

just got bloodwork back, I think the doctor was a bit shocked, and even more shocked when she heard about my diet.
Family history of CVD
65% fat from all “the wrong sources”, low-carb- Paleoish

TC- 159 (I’m actually wondering why so low)
HDL- 73 (she said she rarely sees guys at that #)
LDL - 75 (I have to wait another week for NMR test)
Trigs- 43
FBG- 83
A1C- 5.1 (I’d like to be in 4 range)
Insulin fasting- 2.0 (low) I would assume good thing
Vit D- 65 ( I take 4,000 IU/day)
Homocysteine- 5
hsCRP- 1.1 want to get this lower
ApoB- 73
LPa- 6.5 mg/dl
Ketone (urine) - “trace” not sure if that’s significant
TSH- 1.38
Folic Acid- >24
B12- 1815 noted as high

cool story. This is a bodybuilding forum…not a health forum. What do you look like thanks to your diet?

Your high/low ratio(.922) is the best I have ever seen.

[quote]facko wrote:
cool story. This is a bodybuilding forum…not a health forum. What do you look like thanks to your diet?[/quote]

Yeah, POIDH!

I can tell just by looking at you if you really have a cholesterol ratio that good:)

[quote]facko wrote:
cool story. This is a bodybuilding forum…not a health forum. What do you look like thanks to your diet?[/quote]

Don’t be upset b/c I pissed on your wheaties earlier, I was just joking.

I don’t post on the BB specific forum anymore b/c those aren’t my goals anymore :wink:

I’m a small guy, how that matters in accordance to my diet is irrelevant based upon my goals and the fact that I could take this same diet and gain weight just by increasing calories.

I did plan on gaining weight again, but I think I seriously fucked my back up today DL, never felt a sensation like that in my spine before and I dropped to the ground for 20-mins. Praying no disc damage.

I should add on weekends I do a very high carb/high fat/low protein diet… sort of like that one thread about the Whiton IIRC protocol.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
I should add on weekends I do a very high carb/high fat/low protein diet… sort of like that one thread about the Whiton IIRC protocol.[/quote]
TBH I’ve learned to love this way of eating… however my carby/cheat meals aren’t really planned, but it works out. I eat paleo-type (hate that description) meals but have carbs peri-workout (1 Finibar, 1-2 SWF). That’s it. And I tend to be in social situations quite often where really good food is available, so I have at it.

Trimethylglycine supplementation will help with the homocysteine levels.

[quote]Cr Powerlinate wrote:
Trimethylglycine supplementation will help with the homocysteine levels. [/quote]

thanks, will look into it. Was surprised, my B12 levels were really high as well as my folic acid

in fact, any issues with having a very high B12 or folic acid level?

NM- looks like optimally homocysteine below 9 is the goal, lower the better, but I’m not too worried then.

would like CRP to go down some, Chris Kresser says optimally <.05

Congrats JFitness. Thanks for sharing your test results.

I’ve been eating in a similar format for about a year now, and I’ve never felt better.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
just got bloodwork back, I think the doctor was a bit shocked, and even more shocked when she heard about my diet.
Family history of CVD
65% fat from all “the wrong sources”, low-carb- Paleoish

TC- 157 (I’m actually wondering why so low)
HDL- 71 (she said she rarely sees guys at that #)
LDL - 77 (I have to wait another week for NMR test)
Trigs- 45
FBG- 84
A1C- 5.2 (I’d like to be in 4 range)
Insulin fasting- 2.0 (low) I would assume good thing
Vit D- 65 ( I take 4,000 IU/day)
Homocysteine- 5.2 ( I believe I read ideally below 3 )
hsCRP- 1.0
ApoB- 75
Ketone (urine) - “trace” not sure if that’s significant
TSH- 1.38
Folic Acid- >24
B12- 1815 noted as high
[/quote]

Just happened across this study JF, thought it was relevant.

Tokelau Island Migrant Study

“First, it’s one of the best-documented transitions from a traditional to a modern lifestyle, studied over decades on Tokelau and in New Zealand. Regular visits by physicians recorded the health of the population as it shifted from a relatively traditional diet to a more Western one. The second thing that makes this population unique is they traditionally have an extraordinarily high saturated fat intake from coconut. They derive between 54 and 62 percent of their calories from coconut, which is 87% saturated. This gives them perhaps the highest documented saturated fat intake in the world”

Damn, lol… I’ve read some stuff about Alzheimer’s prevention/treatment up to 4 TBSP/day of coconut oil.

I’m at 1.5 TBSP/day on avg right now, doesn’t go down quite as well in shot glass form like EvOO, even once turned into liquid.

too much at once upsets my stomach though, so 1 TBSP at a time is about the max… my wife can’t handle even small amounts

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Damn, lol… I’ve read some stuff about Alzheimer’s prevention/treatment up to 4 TBSP/day of coconut oil.

I’m at 1.5 TBSP/day on avg right now, doesn’t go down quite as well in shot glass form like EvOO, even once turned into liquid.

too much at once upsets my stomach though, so 1 TBSP at a time is about the max… my wife can’t handle even small amounts[/quote]

anything wrong with cooking with coconut oil as far as maintaining the integrity of fatty acids and keeping the health benefits intact?

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Damn, lol… I’ve read some stuff about Alzheimer’s prevention/treatment up to 4 TBSP/day of coconut oil.

I’m at 1.5 TBSP/day on avg right now, doesn’t go down quite as well in shot glass form like EvOO, even once turned into liquid.

too much at once upsets my stomach though, so 1 TBSP at a time is about the max… my wife can’t handle even small amounts[/quote]

anything wrong with cooking with coconut oil as far as maintaining the integrity of fatty acids and keeping the health benefits intact?[/quote]

Nope, in fact, cooking is encouraged rather than some other oils. Spectrum sells it in a spray can as well. That’ what I cook my eggs in.

There are some cookies I make that use coconut oil as well instead of butter (not that I dislike butter)

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]wannabebig250 wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Damn, lol… I’ve read some stuff about Alzheimer’s prevention/treatment up to 4 TBSP/day of coconut oil.

I’m at 1.5 TBSP/day on avg right now, doesn’t go down quite as well in shot glass form like EvOO, even once turned into liquid.

too much at once upsets my stomach though, so 1 TBSP at a time is about the max… my wife can’t handle even small amounts[/quote]

anything wrong with cooking with coconut oil as far as maintaining the integrity of fatty acids and keeping the health benefits intact?[/quote]

Nope, in fact, cooking is encouraged rather than some other oils. Spectrum sells it in a spray can as well. That’ what I cook my eggs in.

There are some cookies I make that use coconut oil as well instead of butter (not that I dislike butter)
[/quote]

awesome. i love the taste it gives my eggs when i cook them in it.

[quote]facko wrote:
cool story. This is a bodybuilding forum…not a health forum. What do you look like thanks to your diet?[/quote]

Cooler story. This is the nutrition and supplement forum.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
just got bloodwork back, I think the doctor was a bit shocked, and even more shocked when she heard about my diet.
Family history of CVD
65% fat from all “the wrong sources”, low-carb- Paleoish

TC- 159 (I’m actually wondering why so low)
HDL- 73 (she said she rarely sees guys at that #)
LDL - 75 (I have to wait another week for NMR test)
Trigs- 43
FBG- 83
A1C- 5.1 (I’d like to be in 4 range)
Insulin fasting- 2.0 (low) I would assume good thing
Vit D- 65 ( I take 4,000 IU/day)
Homocysteine- 5
hsCRP- 1.1 want to get this lower
ApoB- 73
LPa- 6.5 mg/dl
Ketone (urine) - “trace” not sure if that’s significant
TSH- 1.38
Folic Acid- >24
B12- 1815 noted as high
[/quote]
Can you elaborate a bit in what you eat during the week? I have a hard time thinking of imitating what you do unless I take raw spoonfuls of coconut oil throughout the day.

[quote]qsar wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
65% fat from all “the wrong sources”, low-carb- Paleoish

[/quote]
Can you elaborate a bit in what you eat during the week? I have a hard time thinking of imitating what you do unless I take raw spoonfuls of coconut oil throughout the day.
[/quote]

Wrong sources?

Here are daily or weekly staples:

ground beef, kefir, heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, walnut oil, cashew butter, pecans/walnuts, EVOO 2 TBSP, chia seeds, fish oil, chicken or fish, eggs, chicken sausage, bacon, veggies, berries, muscle milk… that’s pretty much it…

weekends I may have a large pizza, chocolate milk, or restaurant burger with a bun, pancakes, stuff like that