T Nation

6'3'' 247 lbs Second Show

I figured I'd throw some pics up here for your constructive criticism, although I'm well aware of what needs work. Here are the basics:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 247 lbs
Years competing: 1
Years training: 5

Anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

on the right

far right

far right

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like if I had to pick something, focus on back width.

You look good though man. At your height, just need a lot more muscle to look really filled out.

Lookin good, but yes definitely could use some more back width/shoulders and a bit more thickness up top. Your conditioning looks pretty good but you just have a naturally wider waist it looks like which makes you a bit blocky unless you get the width. Wheels look good, could be a bit dryer but that'll come as you learn what works for you in terms of pre-contest water manipulation. Keep up the good work.

Your legs look massive :slightly_smiling:

Looking great, but I will echo what others have said above and say your Back could use the most work along with just adding mass all over (if that's your goal)

How did you place?

First off, great shots, and great physique. Now,...

In a few of the shots with you solo, you look just massive, but as you already must realize, your height can be a detriment in BBing, especially when the other guys in the lineup are shorter and probably weigh about the same as you do. That said, I think the biggest focus should be on your lats, simply in increasing overall width, and perceived thickness will add much (in the abs/thigh shot, your height just makes you appear less than what you actually are).

Good stuff.

Your legs look pretty big, I'm impressed. I agree with what Stu said. Being tall makes your width appear to be less than the shorter guys, especially your back... Especially when the guy next to you looks like a young bruce willis, or am I the only one who immediately thought of that :.

Just curious, how long were you training before doing your first show? 4?

Funny you should mention it - I've adjusted my training to include two back workouts per week, one focusing on primarily thickness movements (deadlifts and various rows), the other on width movements (pull up and pull-down variations). I've noticed a marked improvement so far.

They are.

I placed third in men's heavyweight, which qualified me for nationals for this year and next.

Thanks, Stu. As mentioned above, I've divided my back into two separate workouts. My 'width' workout starts with 20 minutes of bodyweight chins, which usually equates to 11-12 total sets. I'm confident the pics I post from the year's show will display a wider and more dense back. As for the height, trust me, I realize I have to step on stage at no less than 260 lbs completely peeled in order to look more 'filled out.'

I've been lifting weights since my senior year in high school, but never ate with the purpose to achieving results. I started to become conscious of my nutrition and supplement intake for the last five and half years. I went from 185 lbs to a high of 311 lbs and a stage weight of 247 lbs since that time.

That's amazing. I recently started to become more self conscious of my eating. I too am 6ft3, and was always afraid of losing my physique and getting fat, so I would stay around 180. I've been lifting for a while, and just recently started increasing my caloric intake due to some advice a fellow trainer (he's been bodybuilding for 3 years, is 19, and placed second in his last competition - first would've been his pro card... crazy) has given me. I went up about 10-15 lbs in a few months and it's been relatively clean. What does your diet look like now? And again you look great, being a tall guy myself your physique really inspires me!

What are you competiting for? There are so many top bbs out there that have much more mass etc... you know the top guys do roids.

Thanks for the accolades. Yes, the "I'm tall" excuse has never flown with me. If anything, the obstacle my height presents simply gave me more reason to bust my ass harder in the gym or at the kitchen table than the next guy. I like to think I've had to work harder for every pound of muscle gained for the simple fact that I have to put on more to create the same illusion of mass.

My current off-season diet looks a little like this. I'm now approx 265 lbs with 10-12% body fat. Slices are still visible in my quads, abs, and triceps.

Meal 1: 2 cups oats (dry), 2 cups egg whites, 2 eggs
Meals 2 and 3: 10 oz chicken or white fish, mixed veggies, 2 tbsp peanut/almond butter
Meal 4 (pre): 2 cups brown rice, 10 oz chicken, veggies
Meal 5 (immediately post): whey isolate in water
Meal 6 (20 minutes after): 2.5 cups brown rice, 10 oz chicken, veggies
Meal 7: same as meals 2 and 3 (sometimes 10 oz salmon fillet with veggies)

chickennnn! 30oz. Thats almost 2 lbs a day. Can I borrow your digestive enzymes?

very impressive, I'm 6'2" and 175, pretty sure I need 100ish lbs of lean mass to be a giant