6'3, 240. Masters Comp?

So, it’s rare that I come to this site these days, and waaaaay rare for me to see something that I feel compelled to login and post. That said, fucking impressive sir. I’m 28, and I would be damn happy to have your physique now, let alone at 50+. I see your physique and I see YEARS of making good choices nutritionally and in the gym, so great job.

Legs have already been pointed out. To me, your legs look “athletic” but not “muscular”- like you could go run a few miles no problem, but you’re not squatting a whole lot. if for whatever reason you aren’t squatting, no problem- crush the leg press for the size.

Inspiring.

Edit: ok I just saw the stuff about joint friendly leg training, so maybe the leg press is out too. In that case, box squats are often recommended as an alternative to regular squats for those with knee issues, so that could work. Also, echo the last post regarding backwards sled drags. You won’t find a NFL cornerback that doesn’t have good quads- because they’re constantly doing backwards sprints. Backwards sled drag is the same principle, less risk of injury. If you have a sled, good to go. If you don’t, you could buy the real deal Prowler from elitefts or I think it’s called “the butcher” from Rogue. Or you could buy the cheap version from Dick’s, does the same damn thing for much less $.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
So, it’s rare that I come to this site these days, and waaaaay rare for me to see something that I feel compelled to login and post. That said, fucking impressive sir. I’m 28, and I would be damn happy to have your physique now, let alone at 50+. I see your physique and I see YEARS of making good choices nutritionally and in the gym, so great job.

Legs have already been pointed out. To me, your legs look “athletic” but not “muscular”- like you could go run a few miles no problem, but you’re not squatting a whole lot. if for whatever reason you aren’t squatting, no problem- crush the leg press for the size.

Inspiring.

Edit: ok I just saw the stuff about joint friendly leg training, so maybe the leg press is out too. In that case, box squats are often recommended as an alternative to regular squats for those with knee issues, so that could work. Also, echo the last post regarding backwards sled drags. You won’t find a NFL cornerback that doesn’t have good quads- because they’re constantly doing backwards sprints. Backwards sled drag is the same principle, less risk of injury. If you have a sled, good to go. If you don’t, you could buy the real deal Prowler from elitefts or I think it’s called “the butcher” from Rogue. Or you could buy the cheap version from Dick’s, does the same damn thing for much less $.[/quote]

The Butcher from Rogue is exactly what I have. Keep in mind that it’s 20lbs heavier than the prowler un-weighted. I’ve actually put size on my legs before with sled dragging/pushing exclusively for lower body training. I normally spend 3 months or more out of the year training legs this way.

Thanks everyone for the help. Working today on designing a less traditional le routine with these suggestions

Sitting now at 232 on my way down. How much more weight do you guys think i need to cut for Mens Physique?

Scale weight really doesn’t matter; there’s not a scale on stage and you need to keep cutting until you’re lean enough regardless of how much you weight. That being said, if I had to take a stab at it, I’d guess you’ll be near competition shape in the 210 range

Do you think I can lose 20 pounds without losing too much muscle?

I would say around 210 also at 6’2". You could probably get by with 215 because the physique category is getting “bigger.” With your leg issues and your age, you are going to have a tough time putting on size in your legs in a short period of time so I would look at physique.

The rumor is that the long shorts are going “bye bye” soon for the physique so in the very near future legs will be important.

Thanks. So do u guys think i need to drop muscle as well as some fat?

I’m not seeing where 210 is some magic number for you … Upper body is lean as hell … Wheels ( as previously stated) need some work, but shaving and a tan can make a big difference

If you are 240 I just don’t see where 30 pounds is gonna come from …

Agreed the 210 is not a magic number but there aren’t many guys go on stage at 220 and place in physique. I agree if he is sitting at 240 I could see him drop at around 220 but then after that a lot of muscle would be shed. [quote]Velvet Elvis wrote:
I’m not seeing where 210 is some magic number for you … Upper body is lean as hell … Wheels ( as previously stated) need some work, but shaving and a tan can make a big difference

If you are 240 I just don’t see where 30 pounds is gonna come from …[/quote]

[quote]truthandlife wrote:
Agreed the 210 is not a magic number but there aren’t many guys go on stage at 220 and place in physique. I agree if he is sitting at 240 I could see him drop at around 220 but then after that a lot of muscle would be shed. [quote]Velvet Elvis wrote:

If you are 240 I just don’t see where 30 pounds is gonna come from …[/quote]

I’d definitely defer to your expertise … Phenomenal work dude

As a 46 year old, both of you guys are inspirational to the “long in the tooth” crowd … Major props
[/quote]

Thanks guys. I’ll shoot for a slow cut to 220. I should be able to get there by the show I’m looking at in March.

[quote]Tenp250 wrote:
Thanks guys. I’ll shoot for a slow cut to 220. I should be able to get there by the show I’m looking at in March. [/quote]

Thank goodness I am not doing a show in March :wink:

Keep us updated on how the “cut” is going and let us know how you do in the show.

Down to 230. Slow cut. What do you guys think about a physique show on late March?

Back shot

Bloody impressive physique.Id say go for it for sure.

Thanks but i feel like I am looking too bulky to do well in physique. Im trying to lean up without losing muscle, but it’s really slow.

[quote]Tenp250 wrote:
Thanks but i feel like I am looking too bulky to do well in physique. Im trying to lean up without losing muscle, but it’s really slow. [/quote]

Heres a better ab shot to show current conditioning. Maybe I need to drop another 10 pounds or so??

I’m having a tough time seeing much of a difference. I think your pic. quality could be the issue. You do look more vascular. If you have to use a cell phone, try the timer.

How is the leg training going by the way? Did you implement some sled drags or come up with something entirely different?