6'3, 240. Masters Comp?

Looking for honest feedback

Side Chest

back

abs

Looking good man! You could definitely use some more leg size though, particularly the quads. I’m not familiar with you at all, would this be a tested comp or no? I’m not asking to judge you personally either way, the competition standards would just be different.

Tested for sure

Cool man. I would hammer the legs as much as possible. You’re already pretty lean, I’m surprised I’m not seeing more definition in your legs. Your hamstrings look alright in your back shot, and I’m sure you’re aware that chest/arms/delts are strong points. Traps are pretty good too. How far off is the comp you’re looking to enter?

Next June. Working the legs and back twice a week and that is the plan for the next ten months. Trying to bulk cleanly as possible

Maybe a full body shot? Definitely difficult getting an honest opinion of how everything fits together. Yes, with those cropped shots your torso has muscle and appears fairly lean, but I’d need to see how everything fits together in terms of symmetry and proportion in order to venture a serious guess. Still, even with these, I can tell you that your legs are seriously lagging.

Should you compete? I always say yes because it’s a good experience IMO. Will you do well? I guess it depends on the contest and who else shows up. If you’re going into the over 40 Masters division of a difficult federation like the INBF, you may not be happy with the results. If you’re getting up there with the over 50’s, over 60’s etc, and looking at the smaller federations/shows, then who knows.

I have a friend who has been competing for years, and only recently won his masters pro card because to be honest, he was in his early 40’s, never stopped getting onstage or training, and everyone else in his masters class was a hell of a lot older and not even close to being in contest shape. On the other hand, as good as my friend honestly looked (and he did, despite his very weak class), had he done a larger show like the INBF Hercules, or Naturalmania, he wouldn’t have come close to even placing top 5 in the masters divisions.

A year is a lot of time to do everything correctly though.

S

That’s good that you’ve got nearly a year, you can make real progress in that amount of time. Like Stu said, there are a ton of variables at play in terms of how you can expect to place in a show, but competing is almost always a worthwhile experience.

Thanks Stu…Here is the closest thing I got to a full body shot. And it would be the over 50 category. Maybe Physique? Really just looking to do this as a means to achieve a goal

^That shot is very impressive for a gentleman over 50. I would definitely take the plunge. As you get closer, then you can worry about physique vs bodybuilding (you can throw up some BBing poses and we’ll see how you’re looking). In the meantime, I’d suggest absolutely hammering your legs. Mine were a weak point for a long time, and every off season I’d resume a rotation where I was hitting them twice as often as every other muscle group. They were never gonna be monsters, but damn if I didn’t make a lot of progress and at least minimize the upper/lower body imbalance.

S

Speaking as another 50+ natural who is considering doing a Physique show next year, I would like to strongly encourage you to compete in the Bodybuilding division. Or if you insist on doing Physique, let me know the name of the show so I can stay the hell out of it.

All kidding aside, you look great. Best of luck with your prep/show.

Thanks. I’m not sure I’m big enough for bodybuilding and my leg development might not get there in a year, so I’m leaning towards physique. You all think that would work?

[quote]Tenp250 wrote:
Thanks. I’m not sure I’m big enough for bodybuilding and my leg development might not get there in a year, so I’m leaning towards physique. You all think that would work?

[/quote]

I would think so, but you can always make that decision later on, depending on how things go with your training.

Out of curiosity, are legs a really stubborn body part for you, or are they something you’ve neglected over the years? What does your leg training look like?

Great build, we have similar proportions, youre leaner thou and look great. Very inspiring !

Over all, I think you are headed in the right direction. 50 or 25 you look great! Like it has been said, you need some more leg size. What does you leg training look like? Try shaving and see how you look; sometimes its better, sometimes its not.

As for to compete or not; grab your balls and jump! Stu has it right, the experience is nice to have and what else did you have planned for that day anyway?

A combination of weak joints and neglect I suppose. Broke my ankle a few years ago which never really healed and my knees give me trouble, so its a real chore for me to train legs. My joints seem to give out before my muscles. If anybody has any ideas for joint friendly ways to blast the quads that would be greatly appreciated. I’d probably weigh well over 250 if I had some real legs! No joint problems on my upper body fortunately.

Thanks

[quote]Tenp250 wrote:
A combination of weak joints and neglect I suppose. Broke my ankle a few years ago which never really healed and my knees give me trouble, so its a real chore for me to train legs. My joints seem to give out before my muscles. If anybody has any ideas for joint friendly ways to blast the quads that would be greatly appreciated. I’d probably weigh well over 250 if I had some real legs! No joint problems on my upper body fortunately.

Thanks[/quote]

I’ve had substantial injuries to my legs also and understand how hard it is to train them without killing my joints. Using Rogue Voodoo bands on my knees and doing backward sled drags helps my quads tremendously.

[quote]Tenp250 wrote:

Thanks[/quote]

I’ve had substantial injuries to my legs also and understand how hard it is to train them without killing my joints. Using Rogue Voodoo bands on my knees and doing backward sled drags helps my quads tremendously.