T Nation

6'3 18 Years Old 176lbs


#1

So here's just an update, I've only been doing 5/3/1 for about a month now so I can't really tell you how I'm progressing. My lifts feel stronger and I feel better then I have in a long time, but I'm accounting that to the volume of 5/3/1 being very low, much lower then I am used to. I had no issues going up the 5 and 10 pounds in the maxes, so my original plan of doing this for 6 months is still in place.

My only quip against it so far, is that I hate doing it. For me it's boring and I don't enjoy doing it. I've always done a lot of high volume and high activity workouts (albeit more then likely more then I needed to), but I was excited to work out and I loved every second of training. I would even get up early in the morning just to work out and start off my day right. With this current routine I put it off and I really don't feel as motivated to do it as much, I have to force myself to get going.

Regardless, I'll suck it up and get to work, I do need to increase my base of strength if I want to be more then just a lower level intermediate lifter. I'll find a routine that works, and that I enjoy, afterwards.


#2

5/3/1 starts you real slow. Once you start hitting pr’s month after month I think that you will enjoy it more


#3

What are your maxes?


#4

[quote]karydas91 wrote:
5/3/1 starts you real slow. Once you start hitting pr’s month after month I think that you will enjoy it more[/quote]

This is true.

If it doesn’t happen like that for you, I would suggest finding a new routine. I don’t like when people jump routines a lot, but for you being so young I would suggest you use one that you get enjoyment out of doing.

You’re going to have a lot of outside factors coming your way in life and if you are not doing something you like you are more susceptible to getting pulled away. Tweak the program, find a different one that you like doing. But, find something that will keep you wanting to go into the gym.


#5

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]karydas91 wrote:
5/3/1 starts you real slow. Once you start hitting pr’s month after month I think that you will enjoy it more[/quote]

This is true. [/quote]

Well I’ll keep that in mind then, I hadn’t planned on quitting it yet or anything, just voicing my opinion thus far.

I did a lot of program hopping when I was in high school. I’ve stuck with my routines for at least 6 months before I changed them the last couples routines I’ve done and seen a lot of progress. I had planned on taking this at LEAST a few more months before I said “fuck it”.

I’ve taken that into consideration, right now I have at least another year before I go off to live in another area, so I still have that amount of time to work things out and keep things running smoothly, after that I’ll be joining the military to hopefully be an officer, so I shouldn’t have an issue getting to a gym while on base.

But after I’m done with 5/3/1 (because I want to give it a real chance, even though I don’t enjoy it), I planned on going back towards what I had really enjoyed doing but with a few tweaks so that it’s more effective. Thanks for the replies.


#6

Well, it sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders. You got a good base for 18. Keep up the good work, and good luck.


#7

Just do the main lifts (5/3/1) and then do anything you want after that. As long as the main lifts are improving its fine.


#8

I figured I’d post a bit of an update since its been a few months. I had my first drill this weekend since I joined the Air National Guard. They weighed me at 198 pounds, just 10 pounds shy of my weight maximum for my height of 6’3 (even if I went over, they take a BMI to make sure you are under 20% body fat). The past few months I’ve really felt like I’ve thickened up. People comment on how my chest seem more barrel like and how I am starting to get a V shape to me. My arms are about 17 inches now as well, which is a whole inch improvement from when I last measured just for shits and giggles.


#9

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Just do the main lifts (5/3/1) and then do anything you want after that. As long as the main lifts are improving its fine.[/quote]

why is it that no one seems to get that? You can do literally anything you want on 5/3/1 as long as you just do those 4 lifts with that progression.


#10

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Just do the main lifts (5/3/1) and then do anything you want after that. As long as the main lifts are improving its fine.[/quote]

why is it that no one seems to get that? You can do literally anything you want on 5/3/1 as long as you just do those 4 lifts with that progression.[/quote]

I’ve just been focusing on those lifts, progressing slowly in weight or reps every workout, and adding in a few auxiliary lifts. Focusing on that strategy has helped me more then anything.


#11

[quote]Leonard2580 wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Just do the main lifts (5/3/1) and then do anything you want after that. As long as the main lifts are improving its fine.[/quote]

why is it that no one seems to get that? You can do literally anything you want on 5/3/1 as long as you just do those 4 lifts with that progression.[/quote]

I’ve just been focusing on those lifts, progressing slowly in weight or reps every workout, and adding in a few auxiliary lifts. Focusing on that strategy has helped me more then anything. [/quote]

keep hammering the core lifts, then do all the high volume shit you like after. Simples.


#12

Looking good.


#13

Thanks, I’m getting there.


#14

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Just do the main lifts (5/3/1) and then do anything you want after that. As long as the main lifts are improving its fine.[/quote]

why is it that no one seems to get that? You can do literally anything you want on 5/3/1 as long as you just do those 4 lifts with that progression.[/quote]

x2
also check out 'Beyond 5/3/1 or some of the full body routines -some very high volume templates in there