625x4 Raw Squat

Still having a hard time with my hips. They’re so tight and impinged, all the stretching and mobility work I’ve been doing helps for a little and then they’re tight again. If anybody knows of any things that would help me with this I’d appreciate it.

I know it is close to the meet to really be making big changes but I was having insanely tight hips a while back. I took almost all the pain away by doing 2 things. 1 every day before bed I would use a car buffer to massage the hip flexor, glutes and out side sweep of quad. Helped a lot didn’t fix everything though. So, second I moved my squat stance in a bout a inch per foot and turned my toes out about a half inch more. Pain is gone almost completely and flexibility has increased making it easier to sit down on my wraps.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I know it is close to the meet to really be making big changes but I was having insanely tight hips a while back. I took almost all the pain away by doing 2 things. 1 every day before bed I would use a car buffer to massage the hip flexor, glutes and out side sweep of quad. Helped a lot didn’t fix everything though. So, second I moved my squat stance in a bout a inch per foot and turned my toes out about a half inch more. Pain is gone almost completely and flexibility has increased making it easier to sit down on my wraps.[/quote]

Not sure if I’ll be able to do the car buffing but ill get some foam rolling and lacrosse ball work in those areas, next week ill be pulling heavy and then squatting light to avoid getting burnt out from free squatting heavy every week so I’ll give that a try. I appreciate the input man. Thanks

Maybe try doing some stuff with bands to get your hips open, Donnie Thompson has some great videos on youtube about this.

What kind of hip flexor stretches have you done? You can also load up a light weight and hold the bottom of a squat to stretch things out.

I’ve done a lot of the stretches Kelly Starrett has on his youtube including ones with band tension but I’m gonna check out Donnies youtube, maybe he’s got something on there that I’m missing.

Also forgot to mention, if you can go see a good massage therapist or doctor that does ART. I had ART done on my shoulder last year and work on my hips before and felt better within a couple visits.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Also forgot to mention, if you can go see a good massage therapist or doctor that does ART. I had ART done on my shoulder last year and work on my hips before and felt better within a couple visits.[/quote]

What is ART?

Active release technique, its usually done by hand or by a small tool to help alleviate pain and move scar tissue around in problem areas.

I’d try pointing toes out a bit more